British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Nevs

Arthur Pilgrim

I have had the following forwarded to me-can anyone help this lady out??

"I am a friend of Arthur Pilgrim speedway racer for exeter falcons in 40's / 50's and I am collecting information for him about old team members and if there are any still alive and could they be contacted

any info from yourselves would be greatly appreciated"

She also contacted myself on the same topic and I can supply original photo's from his Exeter days plus additional information. If anyone knows of any other teams that he rode for I'd be glad to hear from you myself

She also contacted myself on the same topic and I can supply original photo's from his Exeter days plus additional information. If anyone knows of any other teams that he rode for I'd be glad to hear from you myself

Taken from Ipswich East Anglian Daily Times 16 May 1952.

"Arthur Pilgrim , landlord of The Red Loin , Chelmsford, Essex signed for Ipswich Speedway last week. Pilgrim returned the good time of 77 seconds on a slick track."

There is a photo of him with Ipswich manager Artur Franklyn.

12.5.1952 .. same paper.

"Arthur Pilgrim, last seasons captain of Cardiff, at one time raced in a Bowler Hat.

Pilgrim a native of East Ham , first took up Speedway with Dagenham.

He has also raced for Birmingham,Crystal palace, Sheffield,West Ham , Exeter and Cardiff before signing for Ipswich.

In 1947 he went to Chelmsford and started a garage businessin Viaduct Rd.Then moved to larger premises in Victoria Rd. He runs a fleet of radio controlled taxis and took the licence of the Red Lion 18 months ago.

"Pilgrim scores well on Exeter track. He top scored for Ipswich (9 pts) as Exeter beat Ipswich 54-30."

Hope this is of some help. I have all the speedway reports on Ipswich from that

era but do not have time to post them all. B)

The 1949 Who's Who says:

PILGRIM, ARTHUR. Born Colchester 1920. Owned a baby motor-cycle at the age of nine and first became interested in speedway when watching his brother Jack ride at West ham. Arthur began his racing career on the grass track and in 1938 had trials at Dagenham and Hall Green. He afterwards had one or two races at Norwich but settled down to it seriously after the war when he joined the Rye House training school where he was spotted by Frank Buckland the then Exeter manager. Arthur first rode for Exeter in August 1947 as reserve, and the following season was a regular member of the team scoring 55.2% of his possible points."

1948 - Exeter 43 matches 287 points 6.67 average

1949 - Exeter 47 matches 301 points 6.40 average

1950 - Exeter 34 matches 226 points 6.64 average

1951 - Cardiff 36 matches 189 points 5.25 average

1952 - Ipswich 17 matches 44 points 2.5 average

If he rde for Cardiff I'll see what I can find. I'm sure to have something somewhere. Don't hold me to that tho'

Began racing at Norwich after trials at Dagenham and Hall Green. It was only after the war that he took speedway more seriously, racing his first match for Exeter in the August of ’47, soon becoming a team regular.

PILGRIM, Arthur

1947 7 24 3.42 Div 3, Exeter

1948 43 287 6.67 Div 3, Exeter

1949 47 301 6.40 Div 3, Exeter

1950 24 226 6.64 Div 3, Exeter

1951 36 189 5.25 Div 3, Cardiff

1952 18 49 2.72 Ipswich, Southern League

*1952 includes one match v Long Eaton, who later withdrew from the league.

Began racing at Norwich after trials at Dagenham and Hall Green. It was only after the war that he took speedway more seriously, racing his first match for Exeter in the August of ’47, soon becoming a team regular.

PILGRIM, Arthur

1947  7  24 3.42 Div 3, Exeter

1948 43 287 6.67 Div 3, Exeter

1949 47 301 6.40 Div 3, Exeter

1950 24 226 6.64 Div 3, Exeter

1951 36 189 5.25 Div 3, Cardiff

1952 18  49 2.72 Ipswich, Southern League

*1952 includes one match v Long Eaton, who later withdrew from the league.

Have you by chance got Norbold on your "ignore" list B)