British Speedway Forum
Grachan

Money for Speed

Another film also made in 1933 called Britannia of Billingsgate starring John Mills also features Tom Farndon, Ron Johnson, Gus Khun, Colin Watson, Arthur Warwick, and Claude Rye as "Dirt Track Riders".

Another film also  made in 1933 called Britannia of Billingsgate starring John Mills also features Tom Farndon, Ron Johnson, Gus Khun, Colin Watson, Arthur Warwick, and Claude Rye as "Dirt Track Riders".

That one was filmed at Lea Bridge,i think.What about the others :unsure:

Off into uni tomorrow to have a look on there computers :D

I'll let you all know what it's like.

If at all possible I'll try and save the movies but I'm guessing it won't be possible but if it is (and I'm sure if it is in any way possible I'll be able to find someone who can do it) I'll put them on my webspace for you lot to get a look.

I take it you had no luck then SCB,or ain't you been to uni this week B)

Just as aside, I have been researching in the local local studies library about another subject, and came across the review of a film due to be shown in Oxford in October 1951, in the local newspaper: "Boxing, speedway racing, crime, romance - 'There is another Sun' - tells of a fairground boxer (Lawrence Harvey) whose mistaken loyalty to a Wall of Death rider leads him into trouble with the Police. Susan Shaw provides love interest. A none too convincing film!" 

I'd never heard of that one before - anybody any knowledge?

Regards

I'm sure I've seen this film or something similar.

BTW, tried to download it in uni and they do not have a licence, I printed off the leaflet they tell you to print off with info and gave it to the relevant person, they said they'll look into it and provided there is no problem they'll try and get it sorted ASAP and to allow a week or two and try again. So I'll try in the week when I'm in one of the uni labs.

I have the WALL OF DEATH film on video. The star rider is Maxwell Reed and Harry Fowler is also one of the riders. There is some good wall of death footage and not a lot of Speedway which is mostly at the end of the film. I often have a look at it as there is some good shots of my era the 50s which was filmed at Walthamstow. Great just to see those old JAPs again and those massive London track crowds. Also quite a good storyline. Happy days.

(If you click on 'more' you'll see it has Arthur Mullard in it!)

Was that before he started doing speedway race commentaries for Sky TV?

:blink:

I did send an e-mail to the website where the 'Money for Speed' information came from to see if there was any way of viewing it. They didn't know, but suggested the British Film Institute, whose website is

http://www.bfi.org.uk/collections/rvs/