British Speedway Forum
Ross

Rick Miller

Rick Miller? Who's he? Ahh Ray Wilson, now there was a classy rider if ever I saw one.  B)

English too.  B)

Dun dun de dun de dah dah....pass the banjo & squeal like a pig boy.......... :o

Darn I'se got pig s*&t on ma dungarees again.......... :rolleyes:

Ray Wilson, was he harolds brother? :unsure:

who was the fella in the woods with the shotgun..? quite sure it wasnt rick.. :neutral:

Dun dun de dun de dah dah....pass the banjo & squeal like a pig boy.......... :o

Darn I'se got pig s*&t on ma dungarees again.......... :rolleyes:

Ray Wilson, was he harolds brother? :unsure:

Famous Leicester People:

John Merrick: Elephant Man

Daniel Lambert: Fat Man

Loughborough University: DNA Discovered

Showaddywaddy: Superstars

Richard & David Attenborough: Brothers

Englebert Humperdink: Bloke with daft name

Thomas Cook: Benidorm's answer to Billy Butlin

Lady Jane Grey: Fat king's missus

Ray Wilson: Sporting God

Gary Linneker: Crisp nicker

Etc. Etc.

Famous Coventry People:

Lady Godiva: Slapper who liked to get her t*ts out for the lads

Who's squealing now boy? B)

I'm sure it was Rick who took a right perler at Oxford when he was trying out the prototype front shock suspension forks. I think you were leading the race and coming out of turn 4 the forks they just seemed to collapse and sent you sprawlling across the track. I think Hans Nielsen was also using the forks as well but came out with the normal ones after that. Do you recall that Rick?

I think dave is offering to pay Rick!!  :lol:

Only if the correct 6 numbers come up tonight.

A few comments in no particular order ...

My m8 Gary (a Cradley fan) still has a laugh because he reckons Cradley sent RM in Coventry's direction because he was rubbish .... now let me tell you Gary that RM was a damm good 3rd heat leader who had his average of 8+ in the late 80s. RM was rarely absent, a true TEAM man. He was often the rock of the team.

Was also good at reserve.Think it was 83 or 84 when Coventry came to Plough Lane and out of about 33pts,Rick scored 14 from the no.7 spot.Think TK only got 6 or 7,which was an improvement on his previous appearance when he scored 3 or 4 :o:D

Hi Rick what would you say was your best ever ride, best ever meeting and best ever season?

I don't know, and have never really thought about these questions. But, from a team standpoint the best year had to be the year we went undefeated in the league, 87 or 88 don't remember, but what a team.

What do you think of the laydown bikes compared to what you rode? Also, when was the last time you rode a speedway bike? Thanks..

I have only ridden a laydown once, it didn't feel that different, but then again it had been two years since I had ridden last. I rode my old but new year model 1992 speedway bike at the end of last year. It was fun as always, I wish I had a practice track near my house so I could ride more.

Why don't you just come over to sunny England :rolleyes: , visit Brandon and hold a Q&A night?

You have loads of fans that would like to meet you.

I would love to, hope I can sometime soon.

Nice to hear from an old rider, what I would like to know does he still see any of his American racing buddies.

Thanks, and I do see Bruce and Bobby occasionally, and work with Shawn McConnell. In the off season I usually bump into Billy H at the supercross, that is about it. I haven't seen Greg for a while but we are long time friends and when I see him next, it will be like we saw each other yesterday.

A few comments in no particular order ...

My m8 Gary (a Cradley fan) still has a laugh because he reckons Cradley sent RM in Coventry's direction because he was rubbish .... now let me tell you Gary that RM was a damm good 3rd heat leader who had his average of 8+ in the late 80s. RM was rarely absent, a true TEAM man. He was often the rock of the team.

So sad when he left the sport after a ultra successful testimonial ... especially as he could have had another 5 yrs in him. If I remember rightly it was about the time the payrates were introduced. The whole country was a mess at the time and although painful looking back I suppose that the payrates kept the sport going through a difficult time.

Anway back to the point ... can't recall ever seeing RM fall off although he had a mixup with Andy Smith at some point. RM was very safe and he could team ride with just about anyone. With John Jorgensen there were very successful, JJ on the inside line and RM on the out. I still see JJ by the way when he stays with his lodger in Coventry he has a beer down our social club!!!

Now, one funny story ... when RM was racing for the Bees I was only a very young man and like Rick off "the young ones" .... I would call RM "prick miller" .... and so I was shouting on the Brandon backstraight this one meeting when RM was in 2 nd place "up his arse prick" .... like repeatly and very loud (being I get very excited watching speedway) . It was only when the race ended and my m8 said "do you know what you are saying" ..... and there were all people looking at me ! embarrassing or what but very funny.

Great post, very funny. Bingo on the payrates too.

If we are going for memories.........

Well when Rick first arrived, he was billed as then next big thing & although he struggled, he won the hearts of the Bees fans from the start.

The struggle to get the 6.5 average to enable him to come back, thanks to Kelly or shawn Moran?

I joined the army in 83 so missed a few years, but manage to get back to it in 87 & remember seeing the same rider with JJ as an awesome pairing at 4 & 5, both true team men & an awesome combination throughout 87 & 88.

then dropping to reserve after a bad start & a 21 point maxium at Kings Lynn from No 7................ awesome to watch...............

From then on in he got better, world final appearance, the testomonial, I can still see Per Jonsson's face on the bungee, pure terror, but respect he jumped..

I understand why Rick packed in, due to a pay cut I think, but hey, he packed in too soon............

Great memories of him though & of a purple period form the Bees'

I suppose as supporters we all have golden periods, this was mine....Tk, KT, Rick, JJ, Andy Hackett, Dave Bargh Gary Gugliemi, until he blew it, literally :rolleyes:

Nice post also, I suppose you are right about my timing. But I have no regrets as I made a carreer change as almost all riders do, except for the extremely rare case (by the way, I dont know that rider). Speedway is a difficult sport in that regard.

I'm sure it was Rick who took a right perler at Oxford when he was trying out the prototype front shock suspension forks. I think you were leading the race and coming out of turn 4 the forks they just seemed to collapse and sent you sprawlling across the track. I think Hans Nielsen was also using the forks as well but came out with the normal ones after that. Do you recall that Rick?

I did take a hard hit at Oxford maybe more than once. But, I still remember the one you are talking about. In the middle of turn three and four, the chain ended up coming off and a pile drive into the ground barely new where I was. I dont miss stuff like that.