British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
andout

1958 England V. Australasia @ Poole Programme

Simple question.....NOT!!!

I don't seem to be able to get an answer to the question. Does the programme for this event exist.....I believe it was rained out BUT was the issued?

If you know please let me know! If you have the programme a scan would be very nice.

I have tried the Poole Forum without success.

There were five England v Australasia Test Matches in 1958, at Swindon, Oxford, Coventry, Belle Vue and Southampton. I can find no reference to a further meeting at Poole - do you have the teams and/or year correct?

Ditto, Kevin.

Thanks and yes you are right....However, if you have a copy of the Belle Vue programme for 20/08/58' "Fifth" test match is crossed out and "Fourth" test match has been added. On page three of the same programme there is a sentence "It was unfortunate that the Test Match last Wednesday was rained off at Poole". Hence the reason for this question. Since I have just about every International programme in England Pre & Post war....this one is beginning to bug me as to "was there a programme issued for the Poole rain off". Your help is still required and appreciated.

Yes, you're quite right, andout. The fourth Test match was due to take place on 13 August at Poole but was rained off. Sorry to have doubted you. :wink:

Presumably there were programmes already to go. But what happened to them...?

p.s. As you have nearly every International programme in England can you help falcace's request on the Classic Meetings thread please:

"Dear all,

For a book I'm cuurently help to put together along with fellow Forumer Norbold, I would like to get my hands on the following programmes. If any you can help please e-mail me. Naturally, I'll be willing to pay a fair price.

Alternatively, a scan of the front cover of any of the programmes below e-mailed to me would suffice and be very gratefully recieved

1973 - Daily Mirrror International Tournament Final - England v Sweden

1976 - Intercontinental Final

1979 - BLRC

1980 - England v USA, Wimbledon

1980 - Halifax v Hackney, British League

1981 - World Final

1983 - England v USA, Sheffield

1993 - Wolves v Belle Vue, Division 1

1999 - Polish Grand Prix, Bydgoszcz

2004 - World Cup Final

Thanks "

Edited by norbold

Yes, you're quite right, andout. The fourth Test match was due to take place on 13 August at Poole but was rained off. Sorry to have doubted you. :wink:

Presumably there were programmes already to go. But what happened to them...?

p.s. As you have nearly every International programme in England can you help falcace's request on the Classic Meetings thread please:

"Dear all,

For a book I'm cuurently help to put together along with fellow Forumer Norbold, I would like to get my hands on the following programmes. If any you can help please e-mail me. Naturally, I'll be willing to pay a fair price.

Alternatively, a scan of the front cover of any of the programmes below e-mailed to me would suffice and be very gratefully recieved 

1973 - Daily Mirrror International Tournament Final - England v Sweden

1976 - Intercontinental Final

1979 - BLRC

1980 - England v USA, Wimbledon

1980 - Halifax v Hackney, British League

1981 - World Final

1983 - England v USA, Sheffield

1993 - Wolves v Belle Vue, Division 1

1999 - Polish Grand Prix, Bydgoszcz

2004 - World Cup Final

Thanks "

Now back onto the topic at hand since I think I have taken care of "norbolds" wants....I still need the question answered definitively.....someone out there must know if a programme exists....or is everyone who collects internationals still looking for this one? Where are all the Poole programme collectors?

This, I'm afraid may be your quest for the holy Grail!

I would have thought with all your contacts already in place that this question should have been answered! ( I'm sure in your advanced years you did not miss doing this! LOL surely the old programme collectors brigade must have some info on this.)

As the meeting was to have taken place and being a rain out programmes should have been printed. Most tracks I'm sure sold off these programmes to offset costs.

I answer your question with a question.

Were all the series programmes printed by the same press or were the local tracks to do their own? Are the company who printed the Poole programmes of the era still in business and I wonder if the Poole track has any records of this meeting or were they destroyed or lost years ago.

A strange one indeed....

p.s. I can't wait to see this one once you get it!.....If it comes up on e bay be prepared to remorgage the house!

This, I'm afraid may be your quest for the holy Grail!

I would have thought with all your contacts already in place that this question should have been answered! ( I'm sure in your advanced years you did not miss doing this! LOL surely the old programme collectors brigade must have some info on this.)

As the meeting was to have taken place and being a rain out programmes should have been printed. Most tracks I'm sure sold off these programmes to offset costs.

I answer your question with a question.

Were all the series programmes printed by the same press or were the local tracks to do their own? Are the company who printed the Poole programmes of the era still in business and I wonder if the Poole track has any records of this meeting or were they destroyed or lost years ago.

A strange one indeed....

p.s. I can't wait to see this one once you get it!.....If it comes up on e bay be prepared to remorgage the house!

Advanced years???? What is this nasty stuff you saying about your EX-friend.

To answer your question, no it was not like part of the '70's & '80's where they had the same programme, each track produced their own.

Records are there for this meeting.....just a "Rained off" meeting.

Nobody seems to have this programme and some of the "BIG" collectors, this is still on their "wants" list.

This programme is probably like the other one I don't know about FOR SURE and that is the 1938 Programme, meeting number 136 Eng & aus v US & Canada at New Cross....this one was cancelled because of an "Air Raid Practise".....how do you practise an Air Raid? So if anyone out there in collectorland knows about either programme PLEASE tell me and put me out of my misery.

But of course, tigertom, you are rightabout one thing....I may indeed have to mortgage the house if this came up on eBay....

I knew I should have taken forgery at shool!.... Who would have been the promoter at Poole back then? maybe his family knows!

As promoters need to print days in advance. And maybe add the riders page later the programmes must have been printed and I cannot see them getting tossed out.

Do you know how soon it was rained off?

There are other programmes missing from collections dure to none being sold after a rain off but instead sent back to the printers and pulped.

The most famous one of course is the 1939 World Final programme....printed....cancelled because of the war...sent back to the printers and pulped...aaaarrrgghhh.

So the same could have happened to the Poole 58 and the New Cross 38 BUT still the question is DO WE KNOW FOR SURE?

Guest Toffeeman

UREKA!! I have found your missing programme, along with all the others from 1958 Test series. It's on E-bay now as we speak - only 3 days to go!!!..

I hope I have helped.

Toffee. :rolleyes:

UREKA!! I have found your missing programme, along with all the others from 1958 Test series. It's on E-bay now as we speak - only 3 days to go!!!..

I hope I have helped.

Toffee. :rolleyes:

Sadly Toffeeman the search for the holy grail programme had a sad ending due to internet server problems! At least we know it exists now although like many dreams it is a little jaded as it has the run of the mill from cover.

So where are the other several thousands that were never used!!!!??????

I have a Poole v Wimbledon prog dated July 30 1958.

In it it mentions

5/- Tickets for the Stand accomodation for the TEST MATCH AT POOLE BETWEEN ENGLAND AND AUSTRALASIA to be held on Wednesday, August 13th, are now on SAle at the Kiosk outside the ground and in view of limited stand accomodation I am giving this early oportunity to Poole patrons to make certain of their usual seats - make sure you book yours to-night.

Above that is an advert for W.M. Samson (printers) LTD

128 Ashley Road Parkstone. Poole Dorset

Phone . . Parkstone 909

* printers of this Programme

(suggest you don't try ringing them on this number)

Ken Middleditch advertised his Fish and Chip Shop

And David Lanning, of the Poole and Dorset Herald. wrote an article in there.

So there's another couple of leads to try

It's up for swap on this site !!! :- Speedwayswapshop

Edited by cyclone

Yes, I am fully aware of that one....it was the one on eBay that I lost when my damn ISP went down.....already tried very hard to buy it from him but to no avail. and since he ONLY wants to swap I am outaluck!

Since I don't have any of his wants...too bad for me.....but keep looking out for me, I really do appreciate it....there has just got to be more out there!!