British Speedway Forum
spin king

Malcom Simmons

Gugliemi, really messed up, but payed heavily for it, thats not to condone what he did, but he was not alone amongst riders from that era..........

That's exactly what I meant, about hindsight etc.

But the guy was a character, and I for one would love to see what has happened to him now, whether he has turned things around.

Tigerblade, can you remember Gugiliemi going through the fence at Sheffield with Reg Wilson, I think Gugliiemi broke his arm, but I remember Reg thought he had killed him, along with the rest of us in the stadium.

But the guy was a character, and I for one would love to see what has happened to him now, whether he has turned things around.

Tigerblade, can you remember Gugiliemi going through the fence at Sheffield with Reg Wilson, I think Gugliemi broke his arm, but I remember Reg thought he had killed him, along with the rest of us in the stadium.

I don't think I've put it across very well, I am also curious to know about his life now etc.

Do I remember that crash, I was on the 3rd bend at the time, I still wonder how they both managed to get out of it alive. GG ended up with the two bikes and Reg on top of him, it was horrendous.

There was a piece on him years ago when his Aus ban finished, it was in the speedway star.

After coming out of nick, where he trained as a French Polisher, he was living with/married to Billy Sanders widow & he had set himself up in the French Polishing business.

He did have a run on a bike, apparently quite a respectable time at an Aus track, but did not know what had happened to his equipment after it was siezed by the authorities & wanted a sponsor to be able to ride again, this never materialised.

There was also a picture of him at some sort of veteran aussie rider do, but again that was years ago.

So I do think he got on with his life, but it would be good to have the full story.

Edited by -Howling Gorgon-

Martin Ashby.Always seemed to get overshadowed by the other english riders,but was great.Helped the Dons out a bit when Tommy died.

or Roger Johns ... great servant to Wimbledon

or Mike Ferreira ... how he could dominate the NL but struggled to progress

Or Bruce Cribb - did he really pull his own teeth with pliers? And given the dearth of NHS dentists at the minute, has he considered a career change?

An interview with Cribby would be fantastic, he's been around a while and would certainly have a story or two to tell.....Both on and off track.

Another interesting character is Alan Grahame, one of the greatest team men of all time.

I don't think I've put it across very well, I am also curious to know about his life now etc.

Do I remember that crash, I was on the 3rd bend at the time, I still wonder how they both managed to get out of it alive.  GG ended up with the two bikes and Reg on top of him, it was horrendous.

Have to say I remeber it all too well too - one of the worst crashes I saw; was it the last match of that season ?

Have to say I remember it all too well too - one of the worst crashes I saw; was it the last match of that season ?

Next to last match of season, Reg also had a bad crash in the last one as well :(

Erik Gundersen

Tommy Knudsen

Jan Andersson

Pierre Brannefors

Per Jonsson

Kai Niemi

Dan Forsberg

Ove Fundin

John Cook

Mark Loram

Tommy Johansson

Jimmy Nilsen

ok,has there been an artical on tommy jansson ? or am i a bit behind ?

malcom simmons was at the brighton bananza when it first startedmhe was still going good then.i remember him at wimbledon,those were the days.great atmosphere on the first bend.

That would indeed be interesting. a good example of a rider who threw a very promising career away.

I would also like to hear about Ray Wilson one of the top riders in the early 70's who never seems to get the recognition he deserves. (imo)

I think that it would be great for Ray to tell us how it was. Remember when England really had a cracking team ?

Ray W

P.C.

Mort.

Dave Jessup

Malc Simmons

Those were the days.With so many foreign riders in our leagues I doubt if we will ever put together such a team again :sad: