British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Vincent Vega

Andy Galvin

Personally i think anyone who laughs or cheers when a rider falls should be banned from every stadium in the land, no matter how much you dislike a rider we should always respect the risks they take entertaining us, something i appreciate more than most having lost my best mate to this sport.

With regards to Andy Galvin, having spent a bit of time at Arena in 88 and 89 i would describe Andy as a hard but fair rider who would in my opinion have gone a whole lot further in our sport without the horrific injuries he picked up, - off track having spoken to him a few times i have to say i always found him to be a really genuine nice guy.

Personally i think anyone  who laughs or cheers when a rider falls should be banned from every stadium in the land, no matter how much you dislike a rider we should always respect the risks they take entertaining us, something i appreciate more than most having lost my best mate to this sport.

With regards to Andy Galvin, having spent a bit of time at Arena in 88 and 89 i would describe Andy as a hard but fair rider who would in my opinion have gone a whole lot further in our sport without the horrific injuries he picked up, - off track having spoken to him a few times i have to say i always found him to be a really genuine nice guy.

Well said Rami and, of course, those who knew Bodger will know exactly where you're coming from. Those of us "behind the scenes" as it were, will always be fully aware of the dangers riders, ALL riders, face when taking to the track. They really are a breed apart WHOEVER they race for.

I'm sorry if I've rattled on but IF it stops just ONE person on the terraces cheering when ANY rider falls, then at least it will have served some purpose.

God Bryn you sound like me, get ready for the critics that slate me each time I say it :wink:

On Saturday night, I stood next to an Eastbourne fan who laughed and cheered when Mark Loram and Paul Hurry both crashed.  What a lovely human being he was(!).

Oh how I wish I'd been there :angry: Bet it was the one that laughed and cheered when I was there once before, horrible man he was.

On Saturday night, I stood next to an Eastbourne fan who laughed and cheered when Mark Loram and Paul Hurry both crashed.  What a lovely human being he was(!).

Eastbourne do seem to have more than their fair share of those characters.

Bet it was the one that laughed and cheered when I was there once before, horrible man he was.

I bet it wasn't. Surely the one you "spoke" to has well and truely learn't his lesson. :wink:

I have NEVER laughed or cheered when a rider has crashed and have never believed others opinion of riders, Seen enough meetings over the years to make my OWN on what i saw.

My point was he was not the angel a few were trying to paint him as and I stick by that opinion.

Was a good rider when he decided to ride and not try to act the hardman, rememeber swindon at hackney in 88 at the end of the season when he ran into Erik Stenlund literally. :P

Was a good rider when he decided to ride and not try to act the hardman, rememeber swindon at hackney in 88 at the end of the season when he ran into Erik Stenlund literally. :P

That wasn't a very bright thing to do at the best of times!

I have NEVER laughed or cheered when a rider has crashed and have never believed others opinion of riders, Seen enough meetings over the years to make my OWN on what i saw.

My point was he was not the angel a few were trying to paint him as and I stick by that opinion.

Totally agree with you with regard to Andy being no angel.

As for the NEVER cheering/laughed when a rider has fallen. I am exactly the same, yet when I said that I got called a liar as everyone cheers/laughs at some point :unsure: .............. apparently........ in my case it's apparently not :wink:

I agree,up to a point.But an incident such as Honey described when after winning a race at Plough Lane he starts waving to the crowd,etc and then falls off,well i'm sure a large section of the crowd would have laughed or cheered.That is different to a racing incident as such,even though from experience some of the seemingly harmless falls have turned out to be more serious then spectacular ones.I would find it hard to be upset at someone who cheered at such an incident.

I can't comment on Sky's presentation as i haven't seen it,but most speedway that i have seen on tv does seem to show proportionaly more crashes than anything else.The coverage of the Ice Speedway World Final here last year was about 50% crashes!If that then attracts fans that are expecting to see crashes and think they are an exciting part of the sport,should we be surprised.It would be interesting to hear from fans who were first attracted to the sport via tv,.What was it from the coverage that attracted them to the sport :unsure:

Andy Galvin the 'angel' ... what happened HERE?

taken from a Canterbury program

Having seen Honey ride ....... I'd say it was his fault :P

buy yourself the Andy Galvin Story

Anyone know where I can get a copy of this from?