British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
sidecar121

Canterbury Crusaders. Pictures from 60' and 70's

As I mentioned in a previous thread, I have been lent around a hundred or so pictures, of Canterbury speedway back in the 60's and 70's. I have at last got round to sticking them up on my spare web space, so you can all have a look at them (perhaps even bring back a few memories :P ).

This site can be found by clicking here... www.121motorsport.co.uk Please have a look around and let me know what you think about it. If you have any names etc for some of the riders (where I have not got them), please let me know and I will put it/them with the relevant photo.

Brilliant site Sidecar 121 and many happy memories were stirred by it.

You got quite a few blank names on there so let's do a couple at a time -

Picture 29 - l tp r - Terry Casserly, Graham Banks, Steve Koppe, Barney Kennett, Graham Clifton, Bob Spelta and Les Rumsey.

Picture 30 - Barney Kennett

Picture 4 - l to r - Les Rumsey, Ted Hubbard, Trevor Jones, Merv Jenke???,

Ross Gilbertson, JSH, Graham Banks, Dave Piddock and Barney Kennett.

I'll be back. ;-)

fantastic stuff!!!!

Fantastic just seem like an understatement, and I've never been to Canterbury! The picture of Barry Thomas is well worth the effort you have put in steve. Please pass on a huge "thank you" to Terry Dawtry for lending and agreeing to let you put these photo's on the web.

Brilliant site Sidecar 121 and many happy memories were stirred by it.

You got quite a few blank names on there so let's do a couple at a time -

Picture 29 - l tp r - Terry Casserly, Graham Banks, Steve Koppe, Barney Kennett, Graham Clifton, Bob Spelta and Les Rumsey.

Picture 30 - Barney Kennett

Picture 4 - l to r - Les Rumsey, Ted Hubbard, Trevor Jones, Merv Jenke???,

Ross Gilbertson, JSH, Graham Banks, Dave Piddock and Barney Kennett.

I'll be back. ;-)

Is the bloke on the right in pic 4 Charlie Benham??

This is fantastic, sidecar 121. Some really great memories and what about those crowds? Many thanks and well done!

Superb site,still bringing back such happy memories and a tear to the eye.

looks like the work of local motor sports photographer Kerry Dunlop.

Thanks for sharing the memories and where has Shazzybird got to ?

Brilliant web site - thanks

Images 79 and 80 are Barry Crowson

I think you are right that image 46 is Dave Percy - very unusual face mask, I think it was bright yellow!

Thanks for sharing the memories and where has Shazzybird got to ?

Never far away Ian you know me ;) just been having a browse, some photos there brought tears to my eyes as I'm sure they will my Dad when he gets here for breakfast in the morning and I show him the site, Team Managers name missing from a couple of team photos : Russ Osbourne

Picture 23 : Don't ya just love him ;);):D:D

Sidecar 121 many thanks for all the memories there xx

Some excellent photos there, and very interesting. I can't help much with the Canterbury riders, but in picture 71 the unidentified rider is Bernt Persson - presumably from the 1972 World Final.

Guest cheetahhawk

What memories these piccies have provoked.I feel all nostalgic now.I wish I had a time machine so I could go back to some of those days.I used to love my Saturday nights at Kingsmead.

Some of the pictures that haven't got names:

picture 83 is Barry Thomas

picture 88 is Trevor Hedge,Jim Tebby,Peter Murray, ? ,? Cyril Maidment and Ronnie Moore (on bike)

picture97 is Graham Banks,Barry Crowson(I think) and Barry Thomas

picture 99 is Geoff Ambrose(Ithink),?, Peter Murray,Graham Miles ?, ?,Martyn Piddock and Dickie May.

Picture 89:

Far Left is Ian 'Tiddler' Turner. i think second from the right is Bob Humphreys. Could the rider on the far right be Kelvin Mullarkey? Really not sure - not even sure if he rode for K.Lynn.

Terry Betts at the front of the bike.

Pic 3 John Hammond

Pic 4, 5 and 21 Mike Barkaway

pic 18 - Graeme Smith

Pic 73 - Ivan Mauger

Pic 88 - Trevor Hedge, Jim Tebby, JohnBishop (with tache), ? and Cyril Maidment

Pic 89 - Ian Turner, Barry Crowson, Clive Featherby, Bob Humphreys and Kelvin Mullarkey. At front is Alan Littlechild and Terry Betts.

Pic 90 - Reg Luckhurst, Trevor Hedge, Cyril Brine?, Cyril Maidment, ?, Gary Everett. front is Jim Tebby.

Pic 99 - FRONT Dave Jessup and Richard May., BACK Geoff Ambrose, ?, Mick Bell.

Thanks to all of you who have replied with names etc, I'm slowly getting all the names on the relevant pictures. There are still a few to go though.

It seems to me that there is still a great interest in the Canterbury Crusaders. I have had e-mails from various countries including Australia and the Philipines expressing interest in the site.

I am prepared to invest in a dedicated web site for the Crusaders if anybody is interested. I personaly dont have any info or items on the Crusaders, other than the existing photgraphs. But I'm sure a lot of you good people have plenty of it :P . I have checked out a few addresses and www.canterburycrusaders.co.uk is available (It's working now!! . I have a account with a web hosting company and plenty of spare web space available (over 25gb in fact) I can get this name with only a few mouse clicks.

To get this web site going would require you to let me have anything that I can put on the site, this can come via e-mail, Or through the post, direct to me and I will return it to you. (I've got broadband, so size dont matter :shock: ) I'm good at the old "cut and paste" so you can write all the articles etc for me :twisted:. This web site would at least, show the world that the Crusaders have not been forgotten.

Over to you lot, should I do it and will I get help if I do? ;-)