British Speedway Forum
mark cox

Ivan Admits That Tony Is The Best!

Winning in 1-off finals where anything could happen usually did involve a slice of luck to some degree, but then the same has always been true of GPs too. My dad used to reckon the one-off finals should be replaced by GPs on the grounds that a single engine failure could be the difference between success and failure (it was Dave Jessup's broken rocker arm at Wembley that prompted the comment), though the more I think about it the more I prefer the razor's edge approach to the relative predictability of the GPs.

How can you say who is the best when they raced in differing eras, it's impossible!

OK, let's build a time machine, and get the following riders from the peak of their powers to fight out a GP series:

1. Ivan Mauger

2. Ove Fundin

3. Tony Rickardsson

4. Hans Nielsen

5. Barry Briggs

6. Ole Olsen

7. Erik Gundersen

8. Bruce Penhall

9. Jack Young

10. Ronnie Moore

11. Peter Craven

12. Peter Collins

13. Jan O. Pedersen

14. Bluey Wilkinson

15. Vic Duggan

16. Jack Parker

That'll solve all the arguments!!! :D :D

All the best

Rob

P.S. Good to see Lol on here. Hope it's going well mate.

Don't really think Ivan Mauger can win whatever he does. If he stays silent he's criticised and if he was shouting off he'd be criticised as well.

Would Ivan have won 6, 7, 8, 9 or 10 if there had been a GP series when he was in his pomp? Who knows? But you've got to think that Olsen would have lifted a few in a GP series and maybe Simmons, Jessup and a few others would have come to the fore.

Would TR have won 6 if he'd been in a 1-off final instead of the GPs? Who knows? You'd have to fancy Gollob getting a title if we'd had 1-off finals, as every so often it'd be held in Poland and the Poles would have pulled out all the stops to help him. But would Loram have won in a 1-off final? He won the GP series without winning a GP.

Edit:

And Rob, I think Cordy Milne should be in your series to be honest. Or should it be Jack Milne? One of the two, anyway.

Edited by Subedei

Guest Jim Blanchard

Does it really matter?

To look at just these three riders; Tony Rickardsson, Ivan Mauger and Ove Fundin who have between them have won a total of 16 world speedway championships, almost 17.

Is that just not awe inspiring? The skill required, the determination to succeed,

being so focussed. Perhaps, some good fortune in the mix too of course.

The format has evolved over the years as it should but they have been declared the world champion as they have competed at the highest level, won the races/got the most points.

I personally think that no speedway rider from any era; past, present or future can do no more than that.

Edited by Jim Blanchard

Interesting what he says in Backtrack.Would congratulate Tony if he wins this year,but after this year as there isn't anyway of qualifying he doesn't consider it to be a World Championship and shouldn't be called one.Just an invitation series.

Does it really matter?

No, it doesn't really matter. But it does provide for a vibrant debate and exchange of views.

Of course you can never say for certain,but i would go along with the idea that the GP's has taken a World title from Gollob.

i believe that Ivan Mauger is still the greatest he had alot more top rivals to beat than Rickardsson has now + ask anybody without any knowledge of speedway and even now the name Ivan Mauger will be mentioned

Tony is the best in my opinion,Ivans day was pretty primitive,rule-wise with regards to 1.rolling starts 2.no two minute rule 3.not having to ride given tyres from one big batch 4.all having to ride on the same fuel on the night. i think with the 9 GP'S there are 9 pressure cooker events instead of 1. I've seen the stuff goin on behind the scenes with tony and he has pushed and pushed for that extra edge,while doing over 100 meetings all over the world!

My ten cents worth anyway!

LOL

Well said LOL Ivan was the king of rolling at the start.

As we all know Ivan won six world titles which meant having to win one big meeting in that year,in Tonys case he has won four big meetings this year already [should of been five if it wasnt for you know who's mad antics]and let alone all the gps tony has won over the years and his world final win in 94.I know who is the best champ.

Well said LOL Ivan was the king of rolling at the start.

I'm sure Tony would be too if was still allowed.

OK, let's build a time machine, and get the following riders from the peak of their powers to fight out a GP series:

1. Ivan Mauger

2. Ove Fundin

3. Tony Rickardsson

4. Hans Nielsen

5. Barry Briggs

6. Ole Olsen

7. Erik Gundersen

8. Bruce Penhall

9. Jack Young

10. Ronnie Moore

11. Peter Craven

12. Peter Collins

13. Jan O. Pedersen

14. Bluey Wilkinson

15. Vic Duggan

16. Jack Parker

That'll solve all the arguments!!! :D :D

All the best

Rob

P.S. Good to see Lol on here.  Hope it's going well mate.

Wouldn't that be a cracking old meeting? Rickardsson miles in front, and all the older riders struggling to get round the bend? I hope you were being sarcastic Rob :P:D

BTW, older riders wasn't an insult.

As we all know Ivan won six world titles which meant having to win one big meeting in that year,in Tonys case he has won four big meetings this year already [should of been five if it wasnt for you know who's mad antics]and let alone all the gps tony has won over the years and his world final win in 94.I know who is the best champ.

Ivan made sure he qualified first and foremost, right down to finishing certain meetings in a certain position so he got a favourable draw in the next round.

You have to remember that back then it wasn't a closed shop and it only took one bad meeting and you wouldn't qualify for the next round.

As it is now, TR is basically in the world final every time because he doesn't have to qualify.

Imagine if TR has a bad day at the office in a GP, he then goes on to the next one to get those points back ... in the earlier days if you had a bad day at the office you were out, simple as that.

Ivan had that 'X factor' that so many didn't have and don't have now, the ability to up the performance to win when it mattered.

If it was a GP system in Ivan's day, that 'X Factor' would have shown through in each GP round i can assure you of that.

Edited by stevehone