British Speedway Forum
Grachan

Who Would You Like To See An Article On?

Hi It wasnt gordon that did the advert for Durex it was me Colin Richardson, i did the action shot that they used on the posters

:o I would of let Gordon have that claim to fame :P Can still remember what my Dads comment was when he saw the picture, wasn't pleasant believe me :o was only a kid at the time as well :lol:

I'd like to see Dougie Wyer or Arnie Haley, my first speedway heroes...... Flyer Wyer's tassled white leathers.

I'd like to see Dougie Wyer or Arnie Haley, my first speedway heroes...... Flyer Wyer's tassled white leathers.

Arnie has already been covered.

Read that issue about neil evitts, it seems sheffield was at fault over the pay thing?, machins fault? :unsure:

Read that issue about neil evitts, it seems sheffield was at fault over the pay thing?, machins fault? :unsure:

I thought it was to do with Cliff Carr, the previous Promoter.

I thought it was to do with Cliff Carr, the previous Promoter.

No when machin took over, says he didnt stick to the pay scale or something, i dont know the full story but evitts, said he was getting ripped off.

No when machin took over, says he didnt stick to the pay scale or something, i dont know the full story but evitts, said he was getting ripped off.

Different Promoter, entitled to have different pay scale.

Hmmm, i dunno, but i know that a load of superstars have left sheffield under a cloud because of some controversy, latest 1 sean wilson :wink:

Hmmm, i dunno, but i know that a load of superstars have left sheffield under a cloud because of some controversy, latest 1 sean wilson :wink:

I don't know I think Sean, was somebody who was on the wane, and listening to some very reliable sources was not the Team man he had been.

I thought at the time we were daft to let him go, but the more and more I think about it I don't think that it was, no rider is bigger than the club.

Wimbledon got a lot of that sort of publicity including the Mars bar TV adverts 'Work rest and play'
I remember that advert, wasn't that long after I had become interested in speedway

Mike Parker has been dead for nearly 20 years.
Sure, but there must still be plenty of people around who knew him and worked for him. He's continually referenced as one of the most influential promoters of his era, but there's almost no literature (at least that I've seen) about the man himself.
Has anyone mentioned Billy Sanders as a feature yet? I have often wondered if it was due to the circumstances of his death etc. that he hasn't been featured, but then again, Kenny Carter and Edward Jancarz have been featured.

Evitts had been making rumblings from the start of 1992 threatening he wouldn't ride unless things was sorted out. Cliff Carr admitted he was struggling at a public meeting in the Panorama Room a couple of months before his licence was revoked by the BSPA in July of that season. As it was a "new broom" so to speak I don't think that Neil Machin and Tim Lucking had any obligation to stick to whatever deals that Cliff Carr had agreed. That's how I remember it anyway, obviously I stand to be corrected!

Gordon Kennett has just phoned the Backtrack office to confirm that he's up for an interview, so he'll be the next Main Man subject in issue 16.

That's great news!.

Would be good to see articles on the other Kennett brothers too - Dave and Barney.

Dave would be especially good to hear from as his interest in the sport continues

with Edward.

Being an old Hackney fan you won't be suprised when I say Bengt Jansson. I also think that although his best period was before the 1970's, Briggo would be a great read. Also Neil Street - others have mentioned Streety in this thread and I can only echo their views. Others would include Dave Jessup (is he really as mean as they say - I think we should be told !!)? John Davis (there has been a brief item about him already). I also think that Crazy Jack Millen could fill a book (again a brief item has already been in the mag but there must be so many stories about the guy), Len Silver was a stalwart promotor of the time and is still going strong today. How about Mike Patrick - he was at just about every significant meeting and knew all the riders - he must a yarn of twelve?

I'd also like to see something about the mechanical developments following the 4 valve revolution - there were various engines from Jawa, Weslake, Godden, ERM, Maeley and GM.

Hope this helps

Seeing as Backtrack often do features on the lesser known riders maybe an interview with my Uncle...Alan Armstrong.

Alan rode for Middlesbrough, Castleford and Workington amongst others during the late 70's, early 80's.

He was in the Workington that featured in the (in)famous drubbing at Crayford. If anyone needs contact details for him please let me know.