British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
rentaghost

Dennis Sigalos

Have to disagree, at the time of his injury, I think was on the top of his game, but did not make his mark on a world final.

That depends how you look at it really. He did finish on the rostrum in 1982, and also won the Pairs title with Bobby Schwartz the same year. I don't think he did too badly as he was never someone I considered the best rider in the World, good as he was.

More than a match for those two....

I dont think so

Also remember him crashing at Cradley (think it was in Golden hammer) and when St Johns removed his boot they found lovely painted Pink toenails, Apparently he had fallen asleep on his way to stadium and his girlfriend painted them for a joke ( well so he claimed)!!!!

I agree with Grachan a Very good rider but at no stage did i ever consider him to be the best in the world

Didn't Siggy go on to win the World Powerboat Championship with Bruce Penhall after he quit shale-shifting.

If Dennis Sigalos was, not saying he is going to, to make a comeback in the EL any ideas who would own his contract...............none other than Belle Vue.

The same would apply to Preben Eriksen, Larry Kosta if they too were to make a comeback.

Have a look here Who Does Own Dennis Sigalos's Contract? to find out just how that is.

Didn't Siggy go on to win the World Powerboat Championship with Bruce Penhall after he quit shale-shifting.

If Dennis Sigalos was, not saying he is going to, to make a comeback in the EL any ideas who would own his contract...............none other than Belle Vue.

The same would apply to Preben Eriksen, Larry Kosta if they too were to make a comeback.

Have a look here Who Does Own Dennis Sigalos's Contract? to find out just how that is.

Yes Siggy as he was nicknamed was a great rider up until his bad injury. Together with John Cook he rejuvenated Ipswich in 1981 after a couple of years when things went a bit stale. I remmember him making a short comeback at the back end of 1985 for Ipswich which I believe was the last time he rode over here. If you look back at race times from Siggys era at Ipswich you'll find that race times back then were very similar to times now! - One of the few tracks where race times haven't changed that much in the last 25 years. In fact in the intervening years after Siggy had left, times at Ipswich got slightly slower!

Yes I believe that siggy with Bruce Penhall won the world powerboat championship, a combination of the combined two's racing skills and big money investment I suspect. - I believe Siggy and Penhall were both very wealthy even before coming into speedway.

Siggy, Larry Kosta and Preben Eriksen will all now be at least in their mid 40's so its highly unprobable they would consider making a comeback or indeed if they did be good enough for EL racing!

Ah yes

White City Grand Prix Final(83 I think)

run-off for first

Nielsen from the gate but Sigalos wins from the back

Great Stuff

Dennis Sigalos was undoubtedly one of the best riders ever to have ridden at Saddlebow Road. I can remember in the early 80's, i think he went 27 races undefeated there at one time, when you consider the opposition included Dave Jessup and Michael Lee when arguably they were at there peak, that was quite incredible. Both he and Bruce Penhall were incredibly talented, combined with the fact that they were both extremely wealthy, they were fitting titanium parts to there engines before this had been done to any degree. This combination gave them an edge over there competitors, although they probably would have been successful anyway, the money did help. I have to say that they both did contribute highly to the success of the sport during that period, they were hugely popular personalities, who were great with the fans.

I dont think so

Also remember him crashing at Cradley (think it was in Golden hammer) and when St Johns removed his boot they found lovely painted Pink toenails, Apparently he had fallen asleep on his way to stadium and his girlfriend painted them for a joke ( well so he claimed)!!!!

I agree with Grachan a Very good rider but at no stage did i ever consider him to be the best in the world

there was a time between 1982 to 1984 where siggy was pretty much unbeatable especially at foxhall heath where he was known as the maximum man amoung many other nicknames where he just didn't seem to drop a point to anybody. if he was beaten in a ride at foxhall there would be a gasp amoungst the croud in disbelief, thats how good he was. he held on to the golden helmet for a record number of races which was never beaten, finished top of the averages in 82, 83, and was on his way again in 84 til THAT injury and if hed entered the boat race he would probably have won that too! oh and he also had the best leathers in the business with white stars going down both legs!! i'll also never forget when i went to get his autograph he was so polite and caring and also gave me his cap!! what a great guy and a great character which there were many in those days which i'm afraid are sadly lacking today.