British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Steve Shovlar

Time To Celebrate!

Well Crump somehow managed to put the mockers on Tony winning the title two weeks ago, but he can't stop the man tonight and the champagne is in the fridge already to celebrate the great mans acheivement.

A record equalling 6th World Title!

Wish I could have been there for this one but work and family commitments stop this happening. But I will be cheering him on loud and clear this evening on Sky.

History in the making from the worlds greatest ever speedway rider!

Lets hope the atmosphere is great, the stadium full, the weather set fair and he does it in style.

Should be a cracker of a meeting!

COME ON TONY!

BRING IT ON!

You make it sound so 'all unexpected' Steve >>> chuckled senile old Uncle Mr. Clemens.

I knew he would win it at the start of the season and told my nephew so too >>> don't ask me how i knew :rolleyes:

Mr. Shovlar,

"History in the making from the worlds greatest ever speedway rider!"???

Did you watch the World Cup Final? Rickardsson was an egg-beater rather a world-beater on that ocassion.

And no disrespect to Tom P Madsen - but the world's "greatest ever" does not get passsed from behind by Tom P (as happened in Arena v Oxford earlier in the season on a deep track).

Rickardsson is the best rider of his era, but that's all. Mauger and Nielsen were both far better riders - with the ability to dominate a complete season, not just a GP series. I reckon Gundersen and Penhall were both better than TR as well - although such comparisons are always so difficult to make.

Rickardsson's had it easy with only one real consistent rival, Crumpie, and even Crumpie had his shortcomings until he matured a couple of years ago.

Also he's been pretty luck that nearly all the GP rounds are held on slick tracks - as he looks very average on a grippy track!

Fine accomplishment in winning his sixth title tonight, but it still doesn't put him right up there for me.

Just my opinion.

All the best

Rob

Subedei,

Yes, we have, but I thought it was worth revisting, simply becuase I've now firmly made my mind up.

Before I was slightly undecided if Rickardsson was as good as Mauger or Nielsen, but after watching his stinker of a performance in the World Cup Final, I'm now sure. He ain't.

All the best

Rob

and we look forward to another 12 months of Rickardsson doing absolutely nothing for British speedway,beats me why anybody could want him to win the title,this is the very same rider who turned his back on his British club and British speedway.

At least the Ipswich supporters will be pleased that there very own rider is world champion again,,,,which gets me thinking who was the last Poole assett to become world champion??!!

One bad meeting means not a thing, if it did, then they would all be second rate, because they all had them, what about the time at Oxford when Carl Blackbird beat Hans N. 3 times, and he did it from the back, surely not the form of one off all time the greats? get real, these things happen!

Yes it will be congratulations to Rickardsson tonight, although I'm indifferent about his achievement, as I was for Ivan Mauger too LOL ............ neither of them were/are favourites. A small ripple of applause will have to suffice.

I'm not biting at Peasleys remarks. Tony knew, as did just about everyone else, that Poland were not going to be beaten on their own doorstep and saved himself from risk of injury.

Next season will see him clear as a seven times winner, proving beyond all reasonable doubt that he is the greatest speedway rider of all time.

Don't like him? Well give it a couple more years and his time will have passed. Unfortunately at the moment there is not another rider in the same class. One may eventually come through to take over and dominate. Lindback, Jonsson, Hampel. No Brits for a while though.

Edited by Steve Shovlar

I remember when Ricko first rode for the Witches. You could tell he was something special and I have been a huge fan ever since. He has been the best of his era and the only thing that makes people doubt if he is the best ever is the lack of genuine world class riders that are around now.

After our dream team season in 1998, the promotion had the hardest decision ever to chose any 2 from Ricko, Gollob, Louis and Nicholls.

I wonder if the Louis' regret letting him leave?

Who would others have chosen?

Guest Shale Eater
and we look forward to another 12 months of Rickardsson doing absolutely nothing for British speedway,beats me why anybody could want him to win the title,this is the very same rider who turned his back on his British club and British speedway.

At least the Ipswich supporters will be pleased that there very own rider is world champion again,,,,which gets me thinking who was the last Poole assett to become world champion??!!

Lee Richardson was the 1999 Under 21 champion while a Poole asset

Have to agree with ss on this one he is the greatest rider of all time. Hans was good and would have won more if it had been a gp basis in the eightes, Ivan was a gater full stop.

I remember when Ricko first rode for the Witches.

I remember when he first rode for the witches, Henka Gustaffson outrode him at Lynn every time, unfortunately Henka didn't have the same dedication as Tony.