British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
briggo

Leathers

And the steel shoe on the right footed boot was for what?

I rode in a junior league match in the mid 80's at Poole against a lad called Brian Hussey ( think that was his name) and he had black leathers that were designed with a white collar and red hanky to look like a dinnersuit think he had some skeleton ones too

I had a pair of those pig skin ones once bought them from Alan Belham. Wished I still had them. :rolleyes:  :D

I still have a set of Swedish goat skin leathers, but had to have some pieces let into them a couple of years or so ago........think they must have shrunk. :D

Quite liked the "team" leathers.The Briggo boys in the 70's then a few teams in the mid 80's had them,Hackney,Mildenhall,Rye House for example

A few of the King's Lynn riders had them when I started going in the late seventies. I can also remember a team photo where the riders were all wearing a yellow footie shirt outside their leathers with the race bib over the top I think ............... some people think these shirts are a new phenomenon!

Guest Jim Blanchard

No footie shirts here with one of my early KL shots Trees. That must have been before my time.

Can you recognise them all though?

Here

Edited by Jim Blanchard

Betts, Lee, Rasmussen, Hellsen and Harrison

The footy shirts were used in the mid 70's.

No footie shirts here with one of my early KL shots Trees. That must have been before my time.

Can you recognise them all though?

Here

Ooooh what a lovely photo Jim, thats two Terry Betts one's I've seen all in the space of a couple of days :approve:

Guest Jim Blanchard

:approve::)

Here is another I am sure I can remember seeing them wear shirts over their leathers in the late 70's, too now its been mentioned. ;)

Here

Edited by Jim Blanchard

"Hurriken" McKinley was always immaculate in his black leathers. Immaculate because he was always at the front, with no one slinging mud on him :D

Guest Jim Blanchard

Sorry Lionheart Macca was pretty smart but the 'least dirty leathers' title goes down to Ove Fundin. He never wore a mask or more than one pair of goggles either. Why: He never got filled in. :approve::D

Sorry Lionheart Macca was pretty smart but the 'least dirty leathers'  title goes down to Ove Fundin. He never wore a mask or more than one pair of goggles either. Why: He never got filled in.  :approve::D

The image I have of Ove includes that scarf he used to wear instead of a mask.

I remember one night at Wolverhampton (there's an unlikely first line for a song!) when he was riding for Wembley. There was a bright evening sun, and the great man rode his first couple of races wearing sunglasses. I'd never seen that before, and I can't recall seeing it since (cue for Jim to produce several hundred photos of riders wearing sunnies!)

The worst leathers I can recall were the one's that Rene Aas wore during his brief spell with the Monarchs.

The looked like a pair that failed Warsaw Pact quality control standards and were obviously far too big for him, resulting in him doing a fair impersonation of an Eastern European version of Michelin Man on a speedway bike. :D

Jim - Frigbo beat me to naming them all, I could though :) ........... owwwwww wish I had a time machine ............ lol Thanks for posting them tho, blinking great!

The image I have of Ove includes that scarf he used to wear instead of a mask.

I remember one night at Wolverhampton (there's an unlikely first line for a song!) when he was riding for Wembley. There was a bright evening sun, and the great man rode his first couple of races wearing sunglasses. I'd never seen that before, and I can't recall seeing it since (cue for Jim to produce several hundred photos of riders wearing sunnies!)

Fundin would have been wearing the eyeshields he always used, known as 'gas goggles'. These could be had from army surplus shop and had their origins in WW2, perhaps before, and came in a brown cardboard wallet. There was a clear, shaped variety, a tinted version some riders wore as Fundin sometimes did, along with a wider flat one which was worn on the peak, as Ken McKinlay used. They were nothing more than a sheet of clear soft plastic with a strap and a glued strip along the top.

Edited by miro

The Belle Vue team sponsored silver leathers (in 1977 I think) were pretty horrible. :neutral:

They looked like astronauts :D PC and Mort changed back to their normal leathers VERY soon afterwards