British Speedway Forum
SCB

Confirmed Wildcards Are.....

Well, they're not good enough because they didn't qualify? 8 riders in the GP then! Unless they have qualifiers, because getting a nomination is a bit stupid really.

Only commercial reason for Lee is Meridian Lifts. Nothing to do with Cardiff because British fans will support their teams riders as well as the Brits.

I love the Brits but Lee Richardson don't get a cheer from me whether he wins or not :wink:

Let`s face it. Richardson has got the nod because he is British, as there are no other Brits that are better than him.

Whether they can better him or not Mark is a popular with the crowd listen to the airhorns and cheering each time he was shown on the screen even Floppy got bigger cheers that Richardson.

You can't be surprised at no Loram surely? He hasn't been up to that standard this year.

Up to standard or not Cardiff is never the same without him for me and I know there are a lot of other people (not just Tabby before anyone decides to have a pop there!) that think the same. The year before we had 19 of our family went because Mark was there this year there were 4 of us, yes it was a good GP but would of been nice if our Golden Boy was there, win or lose he's Loved!!!!

I think if you look at form in the Swedish and Polish leagues then Rune Holta is the best rider not already chosen. Add in the fact that he finished 7th in the GP's in 2003 and only missed out in 2004 because of a debilitating shoulder injury that hampered him in the first few GP's and he should be the pick.

Having said that he might miss out because of his nationality problems - he's a Pole but not really a Pole etc,etc. If its done on riding ability he should be in - no question.

I think if you look at form in the Swedish and Polish leagues then Rune Holta is the best rider not already chosen. Add in the fact that he finished 7th in the GP's in 2003 and only missed out in 2004 because of a debilitating shoulder injury that hampered him in the first few GP's and he should be the pick.

Having said that he might miss out because of his nationality problems - he's a Pole but not really a Pole etc,etc. If its done on riding ability he should be in - no question.

Ah! but if it was done on riding ability then Richardson should not be in. Where in the rules does it say there must be two Brits? The fact that it would appear Andersen is not going to be in it despite finishing ahead of Lee would, to some people, be construed as discrimination by BSI. All I can say is, is that it is a good job Lindback just finished ahead of Andersen, otherwise this particular card would have no doubt already been played by someone.

I personally think Lindback would benefit from a year out of the circus.

Nope I think he belongs there, just needs to calm down and ride the bike instead of letting it ride him, if you know what I mean.

I guess what it all boils down to is that the system used by the powers that be is (as is often the case in Speedway) wrong. Seemingly only the decision makers can't see that hand picking 7 of the 15 competitors for a World Championship is soooooo wrong. At the very least numbers 9-15 in this years GP's should be racing in a GP challenge against 9 other riders (preferably ones who have qualified for such a meeting) or at worst been nominated. Top 7 qualify simple as that. I'm sure there would be hard luck stories, riders who are injured or have hard luck stories on the day, but at least they get to try again next year. This to is the nature of sport and it's attraction.

Trouble is you could then get the "Andy Smith" scenario whereby one unwanted rider keeps getting through the challenge year after year. Much more preferable to the followers of the sport then the current farce.

lindback should be in as he is but so should andersen. it would seem even though he had a bad year he is still a world class rider and has won a gp. it would seem if ya face dont fit your out

lindback should be in as he is but so should andersen.

I'm not questioning Lindback's right to be included. He certainly had a promising debut season. I'm just suggesting that he might benefit from a season's break.

Trouble is you could then get the "Andy Smith" scenario whereby one unwanted rider keeps getting through the challenge year after year. Much more preferable to the followers of the sport then the current farce.

Absolutely. The "Andy Smith scenario" is what helps make speedway speedway, not someone deciding on commercial grounds who should be in the Grand Prix. Let's have some sort of qualifier, even if it is just a one-off final thrash bewteen 9-15 and 9 others.

WRONG.

If they're not good enough (and they aren't, or they'd have qualified), they shouldn't be there.

Why?

Lee Richardson isn't good enough (or he'd have qualified), neither is Nicholls (or he'd have qualified) and nor is any one else. But that's our problem. Find someone who is good enough and don't just rely on the charity of BSI and the FIM.

Nicholls and Richardson are in because they're British. It's the only reason they're in. They don't deserve it. It's shameful.

You just keep on going... Maybe they should do the GP with 8 riders next year, because no one else is good enough/they havent qualified.

what a bunch of moaners... if our lads didnt get in you wouldnt be happy... get a grip.

WRONG.

If they're not good enough (and they aren't, or they'd have qualified), they shouldn't be there.

Thats partly the problem witht he gp's, you can pick from a group of 3 or 4 who is going to be world champion. there are not enough riders to match Rickardsson and crump.

Nicholls is an exciting rider and i believe it will only take a gp win for him to settle down and make finals consistantly.

Richardson is different, he is a very tidy rider and has a good head on his shoulders, needs to put it about a bit more but he can make an impact.

people cannot say they dont care if a brit is in the cardiff gp or not, the brits make the british gp. anyone who was there cannot deny that the were brought to their feet when Lee Richardson passed Nicki P coming out of that last bend, or indeed the year before just for that split seconds when Richardson hit the front in the final, thats what the british gp is all about. I think it would lessen my cardiff experience if there were no brits competing.

I have to disagree with Subedei, its like others have said on your reckoning the gp should only have 8 riders in, only 8 can qualify automatically but it doesnt mean the rest of the riders should be discarded, they are possibly the next best riders in the world outside the top 8.

I dont know about everyone else but i would like to see someone who perhaps is not right up there, like andy smith used to be ( preferably Simon Stead), makes it all the more exciting when they are doing well, like when carl stonehewer was in semi-finals