British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
J-D

Canterbury

Canterbury is becoming quite a built up area and any land that was vacant has it seems been taken up as a park/ride.

There are people out there still looking trust me, it just seems to be that areas that are looked at are ear marked for development, Sittingbourne Dog track would be ideal but that went down the pan as well we all know. Ashford is quite a catchment area there are a lot of speedway/grasstgrack fans in that area probably more so that Canterbury, again sites that would be ideal are earmarked. Over that way at the moment there is talk of a load of houses being built to cope with the demand for houses in that area.

So the search continues....... :cry:

Would of been interesting to see how long Canterbury speedway would have lasted if they had managed to open up for the 1988 season. How many more seasons could they of got through? - Shame casuse the stadium was still there until the late 1990's I believe and is just now a piece of waistland

Sittingbourne dog track would of been ideal but Terry Rusells half hearted planning application ruined chances there. - Maybe if it could be done better and researched more thoroughly (Tony Mole style) then I feel this is Kents best hope of a bona fide League set up.

No disrespect to the merry bunch down at Iwade Messrs Ribbons and Arnold but I don't think the current Kentish CL venue will ever get fully established as a League set up cause of the poor facilities and training track reputation. Though Iwade does a marvellous job as a training facility and non league/amateur venue and may it long continue to do so!

I did hear recently that Canterbury Council are still looking for a suitable site where they could put a multi sports stadium possibly speedway included if persons were interested in running the speedway?

Can you indulge us anymore 'Shazzytbird'?

I did hear recently that Canterbury Council are still looking for a suitable site where they could put a multi sports stadium possibly speedway included if persons were interested in running the speedway?

Can we assume that the proposed stadium would be council run, and they would rent the facilities to a prospective speedway promoter then 25yearfan?

There are many areas outside of the City centre where a stadium of this ilk could be built if the council were serious about this project.

I hope people are still looking and badgering the council. We have our very own "sir" Brian Buck who has been an ambassador and not letting up with letters of support for speedway to Birmingham council. OK nothing has happened yet, but you never know. Canterbury should do the same, unless you do the council will forget it is wanted. It takes time but hopefully will work.

Canterbury is missed.

Edited by Deano

Would of been interesting to see how long Canterbury speedway would have No disrespect to the merry bunch down at Iwade Messrs Ribbons and Arnold but I don't think the current Kentish CL venue will ever get fully established as a League set up cause of the poor facilities and training track reputation. Though Iwade does a marvellous job as a training facility and non league/amateur venue and may it long continue to do so!

I think when I first went over there at the beginning of the season I was expecting Canterbury re-visited everyone pulling together to get the place on the map. Sorry but it didn't work for me, I was soon back to our old rivals at Eastbourne. Don't get me wrong what they are doing is fantastic, the riders give 100% as does Graham Arnold but CL at Iwade is not for me.

Am expecting a lot of flack here over my above comments but that is just my opinion.

I think when I first went over there at the beginning of the season I was expecting Canterbury re-visited everyone pulling together to get the place on the map.  Sorry but it didn't work for me, I was soon back to our old rivals at Eastbourne.  Don't get me wrong what they are doing is fantastic, the riders give 100% as does Graham Arnold but CL at Iwade is not for me.

Am expecting a lot of flack here over my above comments but that is just my opinion.

Sorry you feel that way Shazzy, but its all we have got at the present time. I am commited to the track because its the closest I am going to get to what I really want and that is Premier League standard racing in Kent once again. Call me old fashioned but no matter how many times I go and watch Eastbourne and that is a fair amount, they are the old enemy and could never support them in a million years, its just a geographical thing.

Sittingbourne or Iwade as it will never lose the training track image will sadly never progress a lot more than it is at present and as everybody rides the circuit no home advarntage is possible. We only survive through generous help from Sponsors and well wishers giving their time for free, so at the moment I am happy to keep the flame flickering in the hope of a brighter future.

Gone off the thread a bit but I for one certainly do tell Canterbury City Council at every opertunity about what they have lost without the Speedway. Yes a new stadium is on the ' long term agenda' and yes Speedway was high on a fairly recent survey of sports Residents would like to see return.

How many City's can anybody name without a stadium to its name?

I think when I first went over there at the beginning of the season I was expecting Canterbury re-visited everyone pulling together to get the place on the map.  Sorry but it didn't work for me, I was soon back to our old rivals at Eastbourne.  Don't get me wrong what they are doing is fantastic, the riders give 100% as does Graham Arnold but CL at Iwade is not for me.

'Shazzybird' Your atitude towards Iwade is what I was touching on in my earlier post. You sound like you were quite a regular Canterbury supporter so I feel your atitude symtomises how most Kentish speedway fans feel about Iwade - Great training facility yes but bona fide league venue for Kent - No!

I do feel if an authentic stadium was built or found that could stage PL or EL level speedway then many dormant and new Kentish supporters would come out of the woodwork and the venue would get sustainable crowds. - I bet your not the only ex Canterbury fan who gos to Eastbourne 'Shazztbird'.

- This leads me again to Central Park Sittingbourne. - Great facilities, easy to get to of motorways, sufficient room for track aparently designed with speedway in mind I've been told - This venue would be ideal for a 'Sittingbourne Kent Crusaders' speedway team.

- Has anyone looked into trying again at this excellent venue again cause it has ernormous potential for speedway.

We only survive through generous help from Sponsors and well wishers giving their time for free, so at the moment I am happy to keep the flame flickering in the hope of a brighter future.

Don't get me wrong Ian I wish everyone at Sittingbourne Speedway all the very best, if I can help in anyway whether it be handing out leaflets at grasstrack again or any other way then I will, it's just that CL lacks something for me, I love to see the riders coming through the ranks but it just doesn't have the same buzz for me that I've been used to now for 17 years.

As much as I loved watching Canterbury I have to agree with Shazzybird that conference racing at Iwade has nowhere near the pull to get me there everytime during the summer. Even another venue in or near the city wouldnt be the same after all this time. :(

I made a few visits to my local track which is Rye House this season but I cant get excited watching another of the old enemy teams. :sad:

Edited by mbbunyan