British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Brightonbob

Gb Get Speedway Wc Final 2006!

I'd definitely vouch for Coventry or Peterborough definitely, decent tracks which is what counts the most and more importantly not right on the south coast!

I understand that you don't want to travel all the way to the south coast from Manchester, but surely atmosphere and great racing are more important than just being central. on top of that Benfield advertise the WTC as a mini holiday break, and no one in their right mind goes on holiday to Coventry, Peterborough or Swindon. There is just nothing to do for speedway fans in those towns.

Poole was a major success two years ago. Major. Excellent weather, a packed holiday town packed even more by throngs of speedway fans from all over the world taking over the quayside and town centre bars. It was like a mini Cardiff. Then there was the event itself. A packed to over capacity stadium, superb atmosphere generated by the partisan crowd. Then to top it all, a thrilling nights racing with the whole WTC going down to the final race of the night. Speedway fans couldn't have asked for more. ( Other than a Britsish victory)

Can Coventry offer the same? No. A bigger stadium but the atmosphere has never been very good. The track is very poor in comparison to Wimborne Road. It has no facilities in walking distance of the stadium, in comparison again Poole Stadium is in the town centre, close to the quay and many watering holes.

Peterborough has a good track which can make for fantastic racing when prepared properly. It can hold a lot of fans, but what else is in the area to entertain holiday makers? The track is on the edge of a non holiday city. A walk up the river bank or a look around the cathedral and that's about it.

Swindon is an even worse proposition. A track that rarely produces good racing, with the riders normally spread out over 100-200 metres. The stadium offers only mediocre viewing facilities and the stadium is well out of town. As for the town itself, read Coventry or Peterborough. Nothing to offer the tourist.

Sheffield is a good race track, but the city again has nothing to offer. And the fact that the promotion are anti elite league doesn't do their chances any favours.

Viewing at Poole is not the best. get there early to get a seat in the grandstand. But when last held at Poole, the temprorary stands made all the difference. Fantastic viewig from both bends. Obviously those with the cheapest tickets had to take their chances of getting there early, but overall it was a meeting not to be missed.

I heard from several sources that Swindon had been given the nod, though I hope I am wrong. Hopefully Benfield will give us a repeat of 2003.

its got to be at swindon so england can win the world cup!

home track advantage is the way, don't play into the foreigners hands by giving them a slick motorway otherwise they will be into the lead faster than immigrants through the channel tunnel.

will be good to see the likes of poland finishing last in the final after their home track advantage and refereeing help made them, undeserving and tarnished winners in 2005.

its got to be at swindon so england can win the world cup!

home track advantage is the way, don't play into the foreigners hands by giving them a slick motorway otherwise they will be into the lead faster than immigrants through the channel tunnel.

Team GB..... finished where last year? in 2003 we were very unlucky not to win yet still finished Runners-Up. The atmosphere was fantastic and there was also a lot of entertainment put on for the kids before the meeting on the centre green and also in the New Stand (Thanks for that kept my kids quiet until I heard his name over the tannoy as participating in the limbo contest on the Centre Green then that scared me as I'd left him colouring with friends of mine who encouraged him to have a go :lol: )

Back to Poole for me please :approve: or maybe Eastbourne forgot about there great viewing there and loads of parking! Just need a bigger bar and we're sorted oh and them bloody toilets they said they'd be done for the last one what did they do remove the cobwebs and thats it :wink:

Edited by shazzybird

I understand that you don't want to travel all the way to the south coast from Manchester, but surely atmosphere and great racing are more important than just being central. on top of that Benfield advertise the WTC as a mini holiday break, and no one in their right mind goes on holiday to Coventry, Peterborough or Swindon. There is just nothing to do for speedway fans in those towns.

Poole was a major success two years ago. Major. Excellent weather, a packed holiday town packed even more by throngs of speedway fans from all over the world taking over the quayside and town centre bars. It was like a mini Cardiff. Then there was the event itself. A packed to over capacity stadium, superb atmosphere generated by the partisan crowd. Then to top it all, a thrilling nights racing with the whole WTC going down to the final race of the night. Speedway fans couldn't have asked for more. ( Other than a Britsish victory)

Can Coventry offer the same? No. A bigger stadium but the atmosphere has never been very good. The track is very poor in comparison to Wimborne Road. It has no facilities in walking distance of the stadium, in comparison again Poole Stadium is in the town centre, close to the quay and many watering holes.

Peterborough has a good track which can make for fantastic racing when prepared properly. It can hold a lot of fans, but what else is in the area to entertain holiday makers? The track is on the edge of a non holiday city. A walk up the river bank or a look around the cathedral and that's about it.

Swindon is an even worse proposition. A track that rarely produces good racing, with the riders normally spread out over 100-200 metres. The stadium offers only mediocre viewing facilities and the stadium is well out of town. As for the town itself, read Coventry or Peterborough. Nothing to offer the tourist.

Sheffield is a good race track, but the city again has nothing to offer. And the fact that the promotion are anti elite league doesn't do their chances any favours.

Viewing at Poole is not the best. get there early to get a seat in the grandstand. But when last held at Poole, the temprorary stands made all the difference. Fantastic viewig from both bends. Obviously those with the cheapest tickets had to take their chances of getting there early, but overall it was a meeting not to be missed.

I heard from several sources that Swindon had been given the nod, though I hope I am wrong. Hopefully Benfield will give us a repeat of 2003.

after the qualifier at swindon mr postlewaite (and i over heard this) said that was the best yet. so maybe they do fancy swindon again! where ever the final may be if the brits are in it we`ll be there the roar the boys on

GRRRRRRRRRR - Sometimes Steve I just want to ...........

Okay - so Poole has the seaside BUT this mini holiday idea can work elsewhere. Tell me where the beach is in Prague or Copenhagen - other international speedway venues?

These Citys offer culture not water! I went to Prague again as I loved the City, the architectural styles, the beauty of the town. The same with Copenhagen (but to a lesser degree)

Brandon is close to Stratford Upon Avon and Warwick both steeped with history and culture.

As for the atmosphere - its like a broken record with you. Because YOU dont like it, you think nobody else could possibly like it either - WRONG STEVE! We like it and plenty of others like it to- including some Poole fans.

The ONLY problem with Brandon is the facilities close to the stadium. But you have never had a problem with TGI's as far as Im aware. :D

GRRRRRRRRRR - Sometimes Steve I just want to ...........

Okay - so Poole has the seaside BUT this mini holiday idea can work elsewhere. Tell me where the beach is in Prague or Copenhagen - other international speedway venues?

Take a look at the map,plenty of beaches around Copenhagen,some probably within the city limits :P

To neglect Sheffield is a bit silly, Bydgoszcz is the equivlent more or less. Its a big city, nice city centre, plenty of hotels.

The ONLY problem with Brandon is the facilities close to the stadium.

Obviously, fairy4ever forgets the silly traffic signs in the village you drive through to get there. The ones that tell you to slow down when you're doing 22 mph (it's a 30 mph zone). I bet the silly things tell pedestrians to slow down.

Seems to have forgotten that Copenhagen lies on the coast and that in this of all years was besieged by Nelson.Don't know if he landed on one of the beaches though :P

Must admit I have never seen Coventry, Copenhagen and Prague mentioned in the same sentence before!!

I have been to Prague and Copenhagen of quite a few occassions and sorry fairy but there is no comparison between the two cultural CAPITALS and an averaged sized industrial midlands city. Nothing, other than people live in all three!

As for TGI's, well I got the squits last time I went there so I am not sure I will other again!

I was not trying to have a dig at Coventry in my post, just making comments I thought were fair and just, when considering where to have the WTC final. It's been said many times by many fans. Coventry does not make good speedway. The track does not allow for great racing in the majority of races. It's because of the shape of the track. Mostly it's gate and go.

Poole has its problems because so many fans want to go and the place struggles to cope with the crowds. Other than that it's perfect. If the capacity was higher it would be a no brainer. And no I am not saying that because Poole is my local club, but because it's perfect for holidays, pubs, beaches, shops and speedway! Oh and the sun comes out quite a bit too in the summer.

No other club in the UK can compete with that. Some other clubs do have a bigger stadium, but are let down by being out of town, no local fascilities. Others have as good race circuits and a bigger stadium, but nothing to offer in the way of sightseeing.

Someone mentioned Bydgoszsz as a plce to hold a WTC final. Been there quite a few times and the place has nothing to offer the tourist. The city centre is not that large. Its industrial, very eastern block, and I suppose if you like looking at tower blocks where many live it's OK. The Old Square is pretty but that's it.

Still, it's all down to Benfield. And if they chose elsewhere other than Poole it's their decision.

For tourism, see Norfolk, beautiful coastline, beaches galore (hosted the World Water Skiing Championship this year!), Yarmouth (second to Blackpool in greasy spoon resorts - if you like that sort of thing ;) - the very old wooden rollercoaster is special though), sail out from Wells or Blakeney harbour, the Broads, Nelson's birth place, Norwich City Centre (top 5 in the country for shopping facilities, nightclubs galore, cathedrals, castle, museums, cinemas, dine at Delia Smith's restaurant etc), unspoilt countryside, preserved railways in all shapes and sizes, forests (go-ape is fun, trekking), concert/gig venues, dry ski slope (yes we have our very own "mountain ;) ) etc etc etc and a speedway at King's Lynn ............ obvious choice!

i think the race off and final are both going to be at a certain place the bsi have taken control of. why put money in other peoples pockets when they can keep it all.

Take a look at the map,plenty of beaches around Copenhagen,some probably within the city limits :P

I dont doubt it Iris but as far as we were concerned it was buildings, architecture etc that took our eye!

Must admit I have never seen Coventry, Copenhagen and Prague mentioned in the same sentence before!!

Did I mention Coventry - I said Stratford Upon Avon and Warwick

As for TGI's, well I got the squits last time I went there so I am not sure I will other again!

So our plan worked then.  :D

Oh and the sun comes out quite a bit too in the summer.

That one is true!

Still, it's all down to Benfield. And if they chose elsewhere other than Poole it's their decision.

yes it is!!  ;)

I dont doubt it Iris but as far as we were concerned it was buildings, architecture etc that took our eye!

If the beaches caught your eye or not they are still there.Anyway,if Copenhagen didn't have beaches it still doesn't relate to Steve's point which you seem to have missed by a country mile.Prague and Copenhagen host GP's which are a 1 day meeting,2 if you include practice.There is really no need for the type of holiday facilities which Steve is saying would make the hosting of meetings for the SWC a better destination.For GP's people are in and out that weekend,there are no rest days in between where people could spend days on the beach.But it doesn't matter so much now that the tournament is again shared between a few countries.

i think the race off and final are both going to be at a certain place the bsi have taken control of. why put money in other peoples pockets when they can keep it all.

Think I'll give it a miss then ...........