British Speedway Forum
f-s-p

Finnish News

Finnish league will be run on 4 man teams, with #4 being a finnish U21 rider. That makes it "3+1". Every team is able to track two foreigners in one meeting. There will be no points limit, except a minimum for the three riders in the "main body" of the team.

There will be an ice racing qualifier @ Kuusankoski 14-15th of January -06, and the individual speedway final 1st of July @ Seinäjoki as a one-off meeting. There might be some qualifiers, but that remains to be seen.

Thanks FSP for the info, such a shame to see the Finish league go downhill a little lets hope Finland get a good youngster who can get into the gp's :)

I am assured by the top authority on speedway in Finland that Jari Makinen is the man for the future.

i here Tomi Remia is very good to

Yrjö Laukkanen has become the #1 in Finnish track racing. Father of ex-gp rider Kaj Laukkanen, has officially been named as the chairman of the track racing committee. Laukkanen (in his late 50's) has sold his company Turvamestari, a market leader in safety and guarding- in the greater Seinäjoki area, to his older son Mika and therefore retired from working life.

He has managed to get Matti Pöysä back to the committee, and Pöysä is once again in charge of ice racing. His other responsibilities include refereeing and the national ice racing team.

Tomi Reima and Jyri Palomäki have been appointed as the U21 "leaders". Their job is to organize the U21 scene and to develope the national team + organize test matches and practise weeks home and abroad. Reima will also act as a riders representative in the committee

Juha Moksunen will continue in charge of 80cc speedway.

Some serious targets have been set, for example two GP riders in 2008, and the means to get there are on paper as well. Co-operation with SML (the finnish governing body) has started well, one only hopes that SML would be true to it's word in the future. There's also been some changes in the SML late last year. Eino Louhio (a long time anti-speedway/pro-enduro figure) was to retire due to illness just before christmas, but sadly died before retiering. Kurt Ljunqvist, once a world class MX rider, has been appointed as the general manager of SML. Time will tell what his politics are, but as of yet I think there's no sour grapes there.

There's gonna be a league next year as well. Pori, Varkaus, Seinäjoki, Kuusankoski, Lahti-Helsinki and Daugavpils have expressed their interest. There might be some difficulties with Daugavpils, because they are riding in the Polish 2nd div almost every sunday. Confirmations regarding the league will be available next week.

Joonas Kylmäkorpi has been listed for Varkaus, Seinäjoki has been in contact with Kaj Laukkanen ja Kauko Nieminen, Kuusankoski will have Juha Hautamäki, Tero Aarnio, Jyri Palomäki and Teemu Lahti.

We will see how it goes.

I am assured by the top authority on speedway in Finland that Jari Makinen is the man for the future.

Matt Ford?????? :D

What about Joni Keskinen? Or is he not the same talent he was before his horrific injuries a couple fo years back?

Joni Keskinen faded seriously after his practice spill a couple of years back. He had so much metal in himself that people thought it was over for him. He was practicly an "also-ran" -04, but last year I saw him do OK/very good in finnish competitions. The difference in riding in Finland and Sweden is so big though, that in my opinion if he doesn't do some drastic deveploment next summer, a good finnish standard rider is his level to be?

On the U21 front next year Finland has Rene Lehtinen, Joni Keskinen and Teemu Lahti. Total mysteries are Jari Mäkinen and Appe Mustonen, who both are stepping up from the 80cc level. Mäkinen has signed to ride for Örnarna in the Allsvenskan, while Mustonen is more keen to just ride alot practising and what ever rides he'll get in the finnish league for Varkaus.

Yesterday there was a qualifier for the finnish ice racing individual final. Seeded to the final were:

1 Tommy Flyktman KMMK

2 Kaj Lehtinen A-SMP

3 Jouni Seppänen FMS

4 Mika Kastren KRT

5 Pekka Karttunen P-KMK

6 Jussi Hytönen KMMK

7 Christer Biskop KokkoMC

8 Jaako Mäki FMS

9 Jani Ahola KRT

10 Tomi Kirilov PirMM

---------------------------------

And these fellows were riding for 6+2 places in the final

20 Raimo Henriksson OMK 12

13 Anssi Lehtinen SeMK 11

12 Timo Kankkunen P-KMK 9

15 Jussi Nyrönen P-KMK 8

21 Ari Nevala PirMM 7

14 Henri Malinen P-KMK 7

18 Ari Tuomisto FMS 7

19 Kaj Ilkka OMK 5

16 Jarmo Malinen FMS 3

17 Jukka Mantere A-SMP 3

11 Tommi Suolammi HäMK 2

22 Erik Harju KRT 1

This is yet unofficial results, I think they should have ridden a re-reun between Nevala, MAlinen and Tuomisto but they didn't. I'll post later what has been decided.

Edited by f-s-p

On the U21 front next year Finland has Rene Lehtinen, Joni Keskinen and Teemu Lahti.

Are they the three who will be at Holsted for the Scandanavian quali for the U21?

Where was this meeting, and at wich track is the final ?

This was at Forssa, you can find the official spreadsheet from here. This was a 7 team tournament and the qualifier was held "within". The final will be held at Kokkola, February 11th 6pm local time.

Are they the three who will be at Holsted for the Scandanavian quali for the U21?

Lehtinen and Keskinen most probable. Lahti has so far always declined the chances of representing his country/riding abroad.

Edited by f-s-p

Yesterday there was a qualifier for the finnish ice racing individual final. Seeded to the final were:

1 Tommy Flyktman KMMK

2 Kaj Lehtinen A-SMP

3 Jouni Seppänen FMS

4 Mika Kastren KRT

5 Pekka Karttunen P-KMK

6 Jussi Hytönen KMMK

7 Christer Biskop KokkoMC

8 Jaako Mäki FMS

9 Jani Ahola KRT

10 Tomi Kirilov PirMM

---------------------------------

15 Jussi Nyrönen P-KMK 8

21 Ari Nevala PirMM 7

14 Henri Malinen P-KMK 7

18 Ari Tuomisto FMS 7

19 Kaj Ilkka OMK 5

16 Jarmo Malinen FMS 3

17 Jukka Mantere A-SMP 3

11 Tommi Suolammi HäMK 2

22 Erik Harju KRT 1

This is yet unofficial results, I think they should have ridden a re-reun between Nevala, MAlinen and Tuomisto but they didn't. I'll post later what has been decided.

15 Jussi Nyrönen P-KMK 8

14 Henri Malinen P-KMK 7

18 Ari Tuomisto FMS 7

21 Ari Nevala PirMM 7

19 Kaj Ilkka OMK 5

16 Jarmo Malinen FMS 3

17 Jukka Mantere A-SMP 3

11 Tommi Suolammi HäMK 2

22 Erik Harju KRT 1

This is official. Tommy Flyktman is probably riding in GSS on the day of the final, so Nevala and Ilkka will step up, Nevala to get a slot and Ilkka as a reserve. Antti Aakko hasn't entered the comp. this year.

Edited by f-s-p

SM-finaali, 11.2.2006, Kokkola, kuskit & numerointi:

1 Kaj Lehtinen A-SMP

2 Timo Kankkunen P-KMK

3 Jussi Hytönen KMMK

4 Kaj Ilkka OMK

5 Jouni Seppänen FMS

6 Jani Ahola KRT

7 Jussi Nyrönen P-KMK

8 Mika Kastren KRT

9 Tomi Kirilov PirMM

10 Pekka Karttunen P-KMK

11 Ari Tuomisto FMS

12 Jaakko Mäki FMS

13 Raimo Henriksson OMK

14 Henri Malinen P-KMK

15 Christer Biskop KokkoMC

16 Jukka Mantere A-SMP

reserves

17 Jarmo Malinen FMS

18 Tommi Suolammi HäMK

This is for Henriksson to take home. I know Anssi Lehtinen rode Jaakko Mäki's bike in the quali, and does'nt have his own. Tommy Flyktman is in GSS at the same time. There's a rumour that Suolammi made a protest of the qualifier, because it wasn't according to the rules. Well Suolammi was THE SLOWEST of them all in the qualifier, didn't pass a single rider in his 4 heats and didnt gate either...