British Speedway Forum

Well the Ice season is almost upon us.Seems the important news is that the World title has gone from 4 weekends down to just 2.The 25/26.02. in Saransk and the 11/12.03 in Assen.Was going to be another weekend in Russia but it seems to have been cancelled.

Golden Spike series:

7.1 St.Johann im Pongau

8.1 Weißenbach

20/21.1 Flims(+Swiss championship)

28/29.1 Divisov(+Czech championship)

10.3 Assen

25/26.3 Erfurt

7/8.1 Russian championship Ufa

11/12.2 Russian Team final Saransk

18/19.2 Russian Junior championship Sterlitamak

Interesting that the Russians should drop a weekend of racing, but then again, the Swedish WC Qualifying round seems to have disappeared this year too.

Coupled with the confirmation that Bauer is out for 2006 and will manage the Blue Beru team, looks like the curtailed Ice season could signal a downturn in the sport.

Mind you it looks like Assen have been "punished" for their Golden spike "dissent" last season, and haven't got the final round.

Is Thomas Shifner behind the Erfurt meeting again this year by any chance?

I had the following dates too:

15/1: World Championship QR

1) Kuusankoski, SF;

2) Saalfelden, A.

4 & 5/2 : World Championship Semi Finals:

1) Krasnagorsk, Rus

2) Inzell, D.

25 & 26/2: GP1 & 2,

Saransk, Russia

11 & 12/3: GP3 & 4,

Assen, NL

18 & 19/3: World Team Championship,

Berlin Wilmersdorf, D.

The European Championship Dates are yet to be set, but do any of our Swedish friends know if there is a Santa Cup this year, and have the dates?

Santacup:

Day 1 - (27.12.) - Östersund

Day 2 - (28.12.) - Gavle

Day 3 - (29.12.) - Bollnas

Day 4 - (30.12.) - Hedemora

And the Russian people say that the EC in Lukhovitsy at 25-29.01.06 B)

Yes,Bauer still has another operation ahead of him, then 4 months rehab.His father also died during the summer.He will be Pits boss at Inzell,though.

More on the Golden Spike series can be found on the Erfurt site here.

Edited by iris123

Regarding Assen is it easy to get a train from skippool airport or amsterdam central, its only around 100 miles i think, and also are there any good, yet reasonable hotels near the stadium. Lastly what is usual cost of tickets? is it pay on the door?

You can get a train from Schipol direct to Assen, but you need to book your accomodation now, as it is selling out fast!

You could stay at either Groningen (north) or Hoogeveen (south), which are about 20 - 30 minutes away by road although I do believe you can get a train from both to Assen. The Stadium is about 20 minutes walk from the station. The problem is the Friday & Saturday Racing finishes around 9.30 - 10pm and I don't know the times of the last train. Sunday isn't a problem as the Racing finishes around 4.30pm

The VVV could find you a B&B in Assen HERE but it is all in Dutch. If you ring them, I've found that they speak English and can advise you.

DutchGrasstrack  Posted Today, 06:34 AM

And the Russian people say that the EC in Lukhovitsy at 25-29.01.06

DGT _ Are they both two day meetings or is it a two day break in between?

Thanks for the Santa Cup Dates though!

Edited by Conkers

According to speedway.org the german nominations are sorted

Fin Quali

P.Bondarenko

S.Gegenbauer

A.Roth

Saalfelden Quali

F.mayerbüchler

V.Nikulin

D.Tschatschin

Russ semi

M.Kreklau

Inzell semi

R.Eibl

S.Pletschacher

Spoke to Roger Newton the other night. The Brits are off to train in Sweden from 20th November, and there are five riders going - Graham Halsall, Mark Uzzell, Roger, Rob (sorry can't remember his surname) and Robs mate (can you fill in the blanks Shazzybird?).

From what I can gather the GB places on the WC have been reduced as there is a French Rider this season, and there is only one confirmed place for the Brits in the Golden Spike, although there are two wildcard spots for each round which means that there is a chance they could all get a GS Ride..

Interesting that there are three Russians (albeit on German licenecs) nominated by the DMV.

Tschatshin looked interesting last year in Assen, but will Nikulin be able to recapture his form? As for Bodnarenko is he any relation to Anatoli Bondarenko (World Champion 1979/80)

I've decided to give Assen a miss for 06 in favour of Berlin. The flights and hotel are booked but could anyone give me some background as to how it may vary from Assen? Is the stadium open-air or are spectators under cover? Also, is it relatively easy to find ? Will I need to but tickets in advance?

Cheers....

The stadium is open air. Tickets may be scarce if the Germans have a good team. I went last year and prebooked our tickets for collection at the stadium, it's better safe than sorry if you want to choose which area of the track you want to view from. The stadium is easy to find, several websites have good maps. Let me know the area you are staying and i will give you some idea of directions

Depending on where you are staying, then there is an S-Bahn (Surburban Trains) station at Hohenzollerndamm, about 100mtrs from the Stadium, and quite near to the main entrance. Or if you catch the U-Bahn (Underground) then get off at Heidleberger Platz and walk up to Winters Hotel, then use the footbridge to get to the back of the Stadium, and then walk up to the entrance, about a 10 minute walk.

I bought a map a couple of years ago that I would recommend, the Michelin Berlin Map (No.33) which has a good street map and an S-Bahn/U-Bahn map in colour.

Try and get tickets for the first and second bends or the back straight if you can, as there are some areas that are a bit far away from the track. Also, it only has cover on the home straight so packing an umbrella may prove useful as the rest of the Stadium is open.

It is a good track though with tightish bends that make for good racing, although it is worth standing a few steps up the terracing as there is a walled Ice Rink in the centre which can obstruct the view.

Still thinking whether I can get there again in 06, as I'm at Assen, and once the Individual Championship is over, the Team Championship has no real interest outside the Speedway press, and whom I rely on for cost covering!

As for the Germans having a competitive side, well without Bauer, I think Eibl, Kreklau and Nikulin will make up the side, but unless a miracle happens, I can't see them on the rostrum this year.

Still can't make up my mind where i'm going.Think Berlin is the least likely,what with the weakness of the other teams and last years Team Europa stuff.The Russians could field a B and a C team and take all the top spots and it only needs an injury from one of the main European riders and ...... :unsure: Assen would be my choice but it really has to be a last minute thing and that isn't so easy at Assen so maybe Inzell or Erfurt for me

Funnily enough talking about 5 Brits training in Sweden,there is an invitation for up to 5 German riders to train with Jarmo Hirvasoja in Finland.He would then be prepared to help them throughout the season.

Edited by iris123

Thanks for all the info. I'm actually staying in Wilmersdorf which I think (hope?) isn't too far away.

PirMM which is a local club here in Tampere, and since yesterday one that I'm a member of has applied to host an individual meeting on 19th of February. It's a sunday, and the racing would probably start around 18.00. Details are yet unknown, but the target is to have a meeting with plenty of racing, not necessarily top names!

And yes! this an important date!! :D

Ryanair operates between Stanstedt and Tampere, the "Pyynikki" stadium where the meeting will be held is in the center of the city about 15 minutes from the airport.

Hi,

I just found the dates of EC:

Semi: 26 January in Penza (Russia)

Final: 28/29 January in Penza (Russia)

Greetz,

Jesper

B)B)