British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
sniff

World Cup 2006

No idea I'm afriad Kevin.  Access to the 3rd/4th bends and backstraight were supposed to be returning last season, but have heard nothing about it this season.

It gets a little cramped on the home straight when Belle Vue, Poole & Coventry turn up!

It was even cramped when Oxford were there. :wink:

I wonder if anyone can shine any light on this though?

Drudging up comments from the 2004 programme I think they were closed to building work that was going on to extend the carpark that is behind the 3rd/4th corners but that was completed a while ago. To be fair to CVS I think it's shut down by Ladbrooks the stadium owners rather than Wolverhampton Speedway.

Monmore Green

If in doubt stand by the coke machine.

You may not be able to see - but you won't get thirsty ...

Well I want it at Coventry for one reason only -

It will really p**s off Steve Shovar!

:P:D

Drudging up comments from the 2004 programme I think they were closed to building work that was going on to extend the carpark that is behind the 3rd/4th corners but that was completed a while ago.  To be fair to CVS I think it's shut down by Ladbrooks the stadium owners rather than Wolverhampton Speedway.

Even CVS is impotent against these owners.....

Well I want it at Coventry for one reason only -

It will really p**s off Steve Shovar!

:D

Just out of interest - why do they only allow the public on the home straight at Monmore Green - is it a H&S thing?

No one knows entily why the back straight isnt used, but the 3rd and 4th bend will not be used again as it would cost about £20,000 to make it safe for fans, and CVS stated he is not willing too this as he won't own the ground anyway.

Well there is your reason for the back straight being shut, access to it would have to be via the 3d/4th bend unless you want fans trampling through the pits mid meeting.

AS superguest has said - the work done on the 3rd and 4th bend last year to build new dog kennels involved ripping up the old terracing. As Ladbrookes don't use that bit for the dog racing, they wouldn't pay to have it re-done so CVS would have ht cost. It would be a bit like paying for a garage to be built in your neighbours garden!!!!! :P

With regards to the back straight - When the work was done in 1996 (hence why Wolves rode their home KOcup round at Long Eaton - ahhh what a night!!!!!! ;) ) it involved changing the shape of the dog track so that it was much nearer to circular. This means that the dog track extends much further out on the back straight. If there was some way to stand on the back stright you would be too far away from the speeday track to see anything useful. Plus of course the issue of how to get ther as Col pointed out.

Wolves fans are more aware than most of the limitations of our viewing area - however we accept there is very little that can be done to improve the situation as things stand at present!

How about Sheffield a great race track.

What reason for not holding it at a premier track?

I suppose its the money, and many think that if a track can be used for a world staged meeting that they should be in Elite league.

Guest Shale Eater

I would like to see the Final at either Peterborough or Poole. P'boro will produce fast racing and the Poles will love it while at Poole there is oppertunities for going wide in the 1st bend and cutting back on the 2nd. Bjarne Pedersen is beginning to make that move his own these days.

Edited by Shale Eater