British Speedway Forum
Gemini

George Cole

I've come across an old newspaper cutting about a George Cole, aged 10, who rode a scaled down speedway bike with a genuine racing engine in the frame. He also acted as mascot for Wolverhampton at their Brayfield track. Not sure what year this would be - possibly sometime in the 50's - but perhaps the mention of Wolves riding at Brayfield might give a clue?

I was wondering if George Cole, whoever he was, ever made it to being a speedway rider and would he have been any relation to Howard Cole, aka Kid Bodie? Anyone know anything about him? :unsure:

I believe this may have been Howard Cole, his father Howard Cole senior was a renowned frame builder, engine tuner, and certainly Howard junior was a mascot somewhere. He went on to become an exceptionally good speedway rider who on his day was capable of beating anyone, in a career sadly blighted with some serious injuries.

Thanks for the info. so far. If this is indeed the Howard Cole then I know he went on to have a very good career in speedway, but I'm a bit confused about the George bit? Was that his first name?

Where's Norbold when I need him? :P

Was`nt Howard Cole also known as Kid Brodie ? don`t know why I think this and maybe I`m way off beam, I do know however that he had an awful crash at Leicester very early in my speedway watching day`s it was the first bad one I had seen and happened right in front of me, I`ll alway`as remember it !

Sorry, Gem, I was at Brighton yesterday...

Howard Cole was Kid Bodie. I believe he used the pseudonym when he first started because he didn't want his mother to know he was a speedway rider.

I know nothing about George Cole. I have never heard of him so I didn't know if this was Howard Cole or someone entirely different. Sorry.

Taken from here: http://speedwaybikes.fortunecity.net/cole.htm

'Howard Cole Senior had produced a number of mini-speedway bikes for his motorcycle mad son, Howard Cole Junior. The first of these, produced in the 1940s, was a perfect scale replica of a post-war speedway chassis, right down to the miniature Webb forks. The most interesting feature of the bike though was the "lay-down" engine, a good forty years ahead of its time.

Howard Junior was the mascot at Birmingham and Wolverhampton speedway in the 40s and 50s, and would ride his mini-bikes wearing full leathers and a helmet bearing his initial "GHC" (his full name was George Howard Cole). Howard junior progressed to full size bikes and actually took to the track at the age of 15 under the assumed name of "Kid Bodie". '

Howard Cole now lives in Sydney, Australia.

Thank you. I love a happy and successful ending to a mystery. :)

Here is the cutting I was referring to and now I know that it is indeed the Howard Cole I will add him to my scrapbook. http://community.webshots.com/photo/153283...22241446HDcPZr#

I wonder who the other rider is? :P

Edited by Gemini

Thank you.  I love a happy and successful ending to a mystery. :)

Here is the cutting I was referring to and now I know that it is indeed the Howard Cole I will add him to my scrapbook.  http://community.webshots.com/photo/153283...22241446HDcPZr#

I wonder who the other rider is?  :P

Well, if it is George Cole could the other rider be Dennis (split) waterman :wink:

Taken from here: http://speedwaybikes.fortunecity.net/cole.htm

'Howard Cole Senior had produced a number of mini-speedway bikes for his motorcycle mad son, Howard Cole Junior. The first of these, produced in the 1940s, was a perfect scale replica of a post-war speedway chassis, right down to the miniature Webb forks. The most interesting feature of the bike though was the "lay-down" engine, a good forty years ahead of its time.

Howard Junior was the mascot at Birmingham and Wolverhampton speedway in the 40s and 50s, and would ride his mini-bikes wearing full leathers and a helmet bearing his initial "GHC" (his full name was George Howard Cole). Howard junior progressed to full size bikes and actually took to the track at the age of 15 under the assumed name of "Kid Bodie". '

howard cole sr. also made a couple of minature speedway bikes in scale, large model sized, 1:24? that were perfect and actually ran on methanol, perfect examples of a jap rotrax and jawa. i know i mentiond this long ago, but those examples must be worth a lot. i cant imagine the time and skill it took to do that..what an engineer/machinist..

Guest speedyguy
apparently Dennis Waterman and Split Waterman were related in some way

In about 1955-56 West Ham's Jack Young had a mechanic named George Cole.

He was later a novice trainee at Eastbourne and Aldershot. He was part of a group that also included Al Sparrey, Vic Ridgeon, Ray Terry and Steve Bole.

apparently Dennis Waterman and Split Waterman were related in some way

Think that was Pete Waterman, the one related to Split.

Edited by moxey63

I know this is a very old thread, but I'm amazed if nobody has spotted this Pathe clip Gemini. (Perhaps they have and it's on another thread somewhere, but I'll add it here anyway, just in case :wink: ...)

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/child-motorcyclist/query/speedway+3+year+old

Apologies if it's come up before

Well I've never seen it so thanks for adding it to this thread. What an amazing little 3 year old he was on a motorbike. :t: