British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
M.D

Wal Phillips

I am doing some research into my Uncle Wal phillps. I would be interested to hear from anybody who has information/storys on Wal. Please contact me on my email address below if you can help me out.

Tankyou

Mark.

Wal Phillips rode in the first-ever Test match for England against Australia on 30 June 1930 and scored four points.

I'll see what information I can dig out for you.

Wal Phillips rode in the first-ever Test match for England against Australia on 30 June 1930 and scored four points.

I'll see what information I can dig out for you.

Thankyou. He was also in the first world final race finishing third off gate four, and I am told he broke his leg in aussie which ended his riding days.

The thing that has made me start to have a look was the article in the speedway star that showed the 'Wal Phillips JAP'. I read a bit about his time testing at the jap factory, he said all the power he could get out of the engines was at the top end of the rev range. A speedway engine needs the tourqe down at the lower end and the power needed to be put down on the surface as best as possible. This seemed to get him thinking and he produced a bike with a JAP engine situated in a lay down position as apposed to the upright.

This was in the forty's, the first 'lay down' I would like to find out why this did not work and did Vic Duggan use this bike (I know he tuned his championship winning bike, but was it a lay down?).

Any help, riding or after could help me. My Mum is helping out with contacting some members of my family who could help with storys and insight into him, but the more I can get, the better.

Tankyou.

Wal was involved at Hackney in the late 70's early 80's and I am sure Len Silver would be able to help when he returns from his stint in France in February.

Thankyou. He was also in the first world final race finishing third off gate four, and I am told he broke his leg in aussie which ended his riding days.

The thing that has made me start to have a look was the article in the speedway star that showed the 'Wal Phillips JAP'. I read a bit about his time testing at the jap factory, he said all the power he could get out of the engines was at the top end of the rev range. A speedway engine needs the tourqe down at the lower end and the power needed to be put down on the surface as best as possible. This seemed to get him thinking and he produced a bike with a JAP engine situated in a lay down position as apposed to the upright.

This was in the forty's, the first 'lay down' I would like to find out why this did not work and did Vic Duggan use this bike (I know he tuned his championship winning bike, but was it a lay down?).

Any help, riding or after could help me. My Mum is helping out with contacting some members of my family who could help with storys and insight into him, but the more I can get, the better.

Tankyou.

It wasn't the "First Laydown - the McEvoy was earlier, see this at

http://speedwaybikes.fortunecity.net/mckevoy.htm

And recently a replica of the wal Philips was built, see this at

http://speedwaybikes.fortunecity.net/phillips.htm

And whilst on the subject there was another Wal Philips special, see this at

http://speedwaybikes.fortunecity.net/whirl.htm

Whilst not on the Web at the moment, I did once have a page dedicated to Wal that may help, I could set it up if it's of any use, couple of good pics on it and also

have info and pics of his fuel injector he designed.

I think I remember Phil Collins saying he was sponsored by Wal Phillips, I know he had used the injector, as had Peter and Les who showed me the one he still has in October of this year.

Neat carb.