British Speedway Forum
adamjennison111

Any One Know About This Women?

Check out Google M8 (;o)

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/motoring/...6MOT17FAYE.html

went to England, and started to race, but on motorcycles. During the 1920s, she took up motorcyle trials and grass tracking and became a major attraction. Then she changed track, going for speedway racing, which was more spectacular and paid better. She was already travelling the world, becoming a familiar speedway competitor and a big attraction for the crowds in both England and Australia.

Eventually, she switched over to car racing. Her first racing appearance at the Brooklands circuit in England was in the autumn of 1931, when she took part in a womens' handicap, driving a Talbot 105 and lapping at 107.80 mph. In a similar race at Brooklands in the autumn of the following year, she came second, lapping at 113.97 mph.

:approve:

Regards.

Edited by Trackman

Check out Google M8 (;o)

That i did.... but i wanted a bit more "home grown" info - from our Speedway officarnados... (speliing?)

I want to add her to the riders database but i wanted a bit more info, background etc.. and maybe find out if someone actually saw her ride?

Google is great for answers but no good for debate...

Adam

Edited by adamjennison111

I've read quite a lot about her over the years. As soon as I saw the title I though it had to be a Faye Taylor thread! It seems she was the one female that has actually been on a par with her male compatriats in Speedway.

There is a small section on the pre-war women riders in the Crystal Palace book,with a few pics.Sounds quite an interesting book if it's a warts and all thing.Though it surely wouldn't be concentrating just on her speedway career

Thanks for the info guys.. Does anyone mind if we used the forum info to pad out the details in the riders database?

This goes for any other riders we add?

This year we want to add as many speedway riders (past, present and future) to the database.

Adam

Guest speedyguy
Thanks for the info guys..  Does anyone mind if we used the forum info to pad out the details in the riders database? 

This goes for any other riders we add? 

This year we want to add as many speedway riders (past, present and future) to the database. 

Adam

There was a rather long article - over two pages - in an edition of 'Short Circuit' a couple of years ago. This detailed Fay's speedway and car racing career in detail. Some excellent photos were used. No idea of the month or year it appeared. I think 'Short Circuit' has a website from which it can probably be traced.

Article and pictures here:

http://www.diamondsmcc.org.uk/profilesoffroad.html

Also, get a load of this from

http://www.motorcycle-uk.com/vsm/jessie.html

Fay Taylour, of course, persisted and became very good, racing successfully on two wheels and four. But how did she get her rides if, as Jessie insists, she was disliked so much by 'The Boy's'? According to Jessie she was not above using her womanly whiles - her sexuality? - to get bookings. 'She always used to be at all the parties - she was a favourite at all the tracks,' says Jessie. What sort of parties, exactly, were those, then? 'Well,' says Jessie, 'after a dirt-track meeting there was all sorts!. It was the Roaring Twenties, you know!'

But both Jessie, and Bill Douglas, of the famous motorcycle manufacturing family, deny that Fay used out-and-out sexual favours to get rides. 'She didn't mix with the riders,' says Jessie, 'they didn't like her. It was the bigwigs, the owners of the stadiums, and people like that, she used to mix with. They were the people with the money.'

Ooo-err!

Edited by Grachan

See also the MI5 website at

http://www.mi5.gov.uk/output/Page436.html

for more on Fay The Fascist