British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Puma23

Riders From New Zealand In British League ?

Great minds must think alike, Ross!!

The name Les Moore came to me during the night. I opened to post it thid morning and there it was.

Les rode for Cardiff in 1951 and also at Shelbourne Park in Ireland in 1950.

He was also previously active in NZ in the late 1940s. He died in a big circuit car accident sometime in the late 1950s.

Les died shortly after his car crashed at Timaru on October 24, 1960.

I quote from the front page of the New Zealand Herald dated 25/10/1960: -

"Mr. Moore was the father of Ronnie Moore, former world champion speedway rider.

"The winner of the Wigram race on two occasions, Mr. Moore was competing in the second race of the day. He was thrown out as his R. A. Vanguard Special overturned at a corner."

chris bailey belle vue halifax

Are you sure he's not English ??

So glad you mentioned the legendary(!) Stephen Rose. I well remember a bunch of went to Kings Lynn one night, Rosie was riding at reserve for us. We all stood there, on teh 2nd bed, chanting ROSIE, ROSIE at the top of our voices. When he came past us, you'd have thought he'd won the world Championship! War cries led by the equally legendary Micky Jones :lol:

I reckon Chris Bailey was/is English

Neville Slee is an Aussie he is alive and well living in Adelaide.

Fascinating topic.

Now, can you confirm that Mitch Shirra rode for both NZ & Australia, but was born in NZ (or the other way round)?

David Bargh was one of the nicest people I've ever met, let alone speedway riders.

And talking of Shirra, did you know that, apparently, he is ranked 569th in the world speedway standings (with Andrew Bargh at 512th) according to:

http://speedwayranking.125mb.com/home.htm

Is Mitch still riding then?

bruce spargo weymouth 1977 chris martin weymouth 1983. was alan paynter of nelson and newcastle and rob jones wimbledon and weymouth kiwis

Fascinating topic.

Now, can you confirm that Mitch Shirra rode for both NZ & Australia, but was born in NZ (or the other way round)?

David Bargh was one of the nicest people I've ever met, let alone speedway riders.

And talking of Shirra, did you know that, apparently, he is ranked 569th in the world speedway standings (with Andrew Bargh at 512th) according to:

http://speedwayranking.125mb.com/home.htm

Is Mitch still riding then?

Mitch was born in Auckland,NZ.But i think grew up in Australia.Did first represent Australia and i think there was some trouble when he changed over to NZ.

Pretty sure he was still riding in Oz last year

Thanks Iris. Appreciated