British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

An Open Letter To The Riders At The Elrc

Some of these GP riders are becoming Primma Donna's they are a disgrace to our sport,who is in charge of the meeting the Referee or the riders, certain riders "throw their toys out of the pram" and put pressure on Referees, its about time someone in authority sorted this once and for all, I could just imagine a Man U player telling Alex Ferguson he didn't think the pitch was safe to play on, I bet he wouldn't be in the team next week! they don't think about their fans who have travelled far and wide to support them, the promotion that has put on the meeting, and it's getting worse, I wonder how long Sky will put up with this, Kelvin & Johnathon were making comments tonight about Covers, different surfaces, and track equipment, so it is obviously in their minds. Sort it out BSPA before it too late.

Short of kicking all the GP riders out of the EL I can't see a way of getting round this problem which is getting steadily worse.

Obviously nobody wants to see riders hurt, but face the facts, 500cc motorbikes with no brakes, the risks are there for all to see, 10 years ago this meeting would have gone ahead no question.

It was an absolute sickener to see KK, Hancock, Adams and Nicholls raising their hands skywards and taking their helemts off because it began spitting again, you could almost hear them thinking "well the ref said if it rained again we don't have to ride"

I decided not to go to this meeting after a similar thing happened a couple of years ago, seems I was proved correct, but I'm gutted for all those who did make the effort.

I thought the match should have not started in the first the riders not not give a damm about this meeting thou sky sports were trying to force them to say it matter but really did not gave a crap and rode like it .

If it was a league match the meting would have gone on because riders would get paid for doing so. what did you get if you won this event a bike wow! or a easter egg maybe ?the elrc is a joke and has no place in modern day speedway get rid of it once and for all it means nothing now :mad:

The riders should have been taken aside one by one and asked if they were prepared to ride for the crowd and sky. If they said no, then they should be told to collect their gear and leave the stadium immediately. The appearance money from these riders is then devided up evenly amoungst those prepared to ride.

If it meant that some heats only had two riders and Bridger (and any other rider in the stadium prepared to give it a go) I am sure the crowds would have given tham all a rousing reception.

This stinks of the same reak as to what happened in Australia in the winter when one of the rounds of the Aussie Championships was cancelled with the track in a reasonable state. A few riders not willing to ride caused the meeting to be abandoned without a wheel turning. Looks like a few riders full of self importance decided the meeting was not going to go ahead, regardless of what the track was like.

Great post Steve, cant help but feel had this been the PLRC then the riders would more than likely rolled up their sleeves and got on with it unlike these so called worlds top riders. Surely if your the one of the worlds top riders you can adapt to the different conditions and still be able to race.

British Elite League Speedway, the worlds top riders, the worlds top racing, oh just so long as it's dry, sunny and an A1 track in tip top DRY conditions  :mad:

The PL riders would have ridden, and that is why after 30 years of following EL Speedway I am now a PL supporter, better racing the majority of the time, and no so called GP "Superstars" who are supposedly the best riders in the world, too many Primma Donna's for me.

Its a long way from the days when sawdust was put down the riders donned overalls rolled their sleeves up and got stuck in real dirt track riders. Wonder what would happen at the GP if its wet and the organisers insist the show goes on? Mr S post reflects the anger that will be felt by many i think, some of these riders seem to be biting the hand that feeds them namely the fans, after 38 years following speedway i feel i dont know it at all over the last few seasons with silly rules and now events like today at poole, sometimes these promoters must wonder why they bother.

Be nice to know what time some riders flights to Poland were and from which airport.

I think you are being a bit harsh on the ref. We saw him on Sky talking to Clerk Of The Course Paul Applin who basically told him the track was not rideable and not repairable.

The only thing the ref did wrong was to agree to abandon if it started raining again, which it promptly did as the riders prepared for the restart.

On the meeting with the riders the ref said the track was fit to ride. Kris are you sure your not getting mixed up with the Swindon test match??

I can't believe any Poole official said the track was not fit to ride.

On the meeting with the riders the ref said the track was fit to ride. Kris are you sure your not getting mixed up with the Swindon test match??

Watch Sky !!

The only thing the ref did wrong was to agree to abandon if it started raining again, which it promptly did as the riders prepared for the restart.

Pretty much what I was going to say after reading through all this, but you beat me to it.

Disappointing, yes, but in the end it looked to me like this was down to the ref. He stood there and told the riders to get on with it, adding that if it rained any more then it would be called off.

All the riders returned to the pits straight away to carry on, without any complaints from any of them, including Crumpy. It rained again. The ref promotly called it off without any further consulations.

Still, why let the facts get in the way of a good moan!

I do agree that the track at Oxford on Friday was worse, but then as it was the worst track I've ever seen a meeting go ahead on I suppose it would have been.

So that's forst TRick and now Crump that's p!$$£d of the British fans. How about deadly silence or boos at the British GP? At least they, and anyone watching, will realise they've burned their bridges.

I can't believe any Poole official said the track was not fit to ride.

Ref : 'So we're wasting our time?'

COTC (I believe) : 'Yes'