British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

An Open Letter To The Riders At The Elrc

Interesting thread...

For what it's worth, would those of you who're so clearly outraged by tonights (lack of) events go to work on Tuesday if you knew you had a considerably higher than average chance of picking up an injury that'd prevent you from earning money for the rest of the year?

Yes, most of us will have seen meetings run in much worse conditions (Buxton - Wimbledon last year springs to mind... I'm sure the Ark I built is still parked by the back straight), and likewise we've seen meetings abandoned for less. That, unfortunately, is speedway in the British climate. Short of serious changes in the way we put tracks together, it's a case of <insert word of you choice here> well live with it!

Superb SS. I never thought that I would ever agree with every single word of one of your posts, but alas I do tonight.

British speedway is becoming a complete shambles, and the ELRC becomes a more diluted event as the years go by, it is time to scrap it.

If the riders are not careful, there will be no supporters left to contribute towards the cash in their pockets. It was clear that Mark Loram, PK and a few others were happy to have carried on.

Mistreat the paying customer and its likely he'll take his cash elsewhere.

The rain is on and off and the track staff are following the refs instructions. As much is being done as possible...if the riders dont want to ride what else do you do?

Ban them for six months - that would do the trick - and I'm serious for once.

The riders should have been taken aside one by one and asked if they were prepared to ride for the crowd and sky. If they said no, then they should be told to collect their gear and leave the stadium immediately. The appearance money from these riders is then devided up evenly amoungst those prepared to ride.

If it meant that some heats only had two riders and Bridger (and any other rider in the stadium prepared to give it a go) I am sure the crowds would have given tham all a rousing reception.

Look out of your windows folks and witness the blue moon - for once I agree with Shovlar, and in fact would take it a stage further........ as I posted above I would ban them and also fine them......... no rider is bigger than the sport...... especially The Ginger Whinger!!!!

So that's forst TRick and now Crump that's p!$$£d of the British fans.  How about deadly silence or boos at the British GP?  At least they, and anyone watching, will realise they've burned their bridges.

Don't forget Scott Nicholls at Swindon too. Or does that not count?

HANS OUT TO IMPRESS

[Andersen makes some changes] PETERBOROUGH captain Hans Andersen is looking to make his point against the sport's superstars at Poole on Sunday.

Andersen, not in the Grand Prix this season, is fired-up to win the Elite League Riders' Championship and take the first prize of a complete Jawa bike.

With Tony Rickardsson not competing having left Oxford on Good Friday, Andersen feels that Australian ace Jason Crump could well be the man to beat - but he also respects his other 14 opponents.

The Dane said: "Any one of the riders who go to the tapes could well be crowned the winner, but we will all have to go like bats out of hell to stop Jason. He has started the season in phenomenal form.

"I think he will take some stopping in the World Championship. He seems to have developed a new mentality and he's probably unlucky not to have taken the title more than once.

"It is essential I put in a good performance in a meeting of the calibre of the ELRC to show the World Championship organisers what I can do. The line-up is nothing short of brilliant."

this was from speedway world website who's he impressing knocking howe of like that, well done the ref for getting the right result.

who's he impressing knocking howe of like that, well done the ref for getting the right result.

Yes, the ref made the right decision in excluding Hans, but it was a racing accident casued by the conditions at Poole - nothing more, nothing less.......... stop trying to cause trouble.

Agreed Kev - looked like Hans just lifted slightly - it was close but don't think it was malicious - just two racers going for it. David Howe seemed fairly philosophical about it afterwards when interviewed by our Clive. :)

This thread has made me realise why, after almost 40 years of travelling the length & breadth of the country watching speedway, I can't now be bothered. I haven't got Sky for the first time, & I'm fed up with riders like Rickardsson & Jonsson taking the pi** out of the paying public while they are only interested in the GP's.

It's time we gave the riders an ultimatum. Either you ride in the GP's or you ride in the so called "Elite" league, which seems to contain more second strings & novices these days than genuine elite riders.

If someone like me who has lived & breathed speedway for the majority of their life now can't be arsed, then what chance have we got in attracting newcomers to the sport. I've long ago given up trying to defend the sport to mates who see speedway as little more than a mickey mouse sport, & to be honest I can see where they are coming from.

Oh & despite enjoying Cardiff in the past I honestly couldn't care less about going this year, & I've been offered free tickets & hotel accommodation. :angry:

Edited by Liontamer

i'm not but well done howe i thought he broke his arm or something. he went to wide on the last corner he would have had a good (ish) night. what i don't get is why he can do that there against people he faces in heat 13 but when he's riding for oxford he doesn't do much. he just one of these riders who need a kick up the arse and he will do well so try and encourage him in the next meeting you go to cheetah fans!

Interesting thread...

For what it's worth, would those of you who're so clearly outraged by tonights (lack of) events go to work on Tuesday if you knew you had a considerably higher than average chance of picking up an injury that'd prevent you from earning money for the rest of the year?

You know I better there are quite a few who would, those in the Police,Fire service,Ambulance etc need I go on. I can't really comment about the state of the track as I was neither there or watching on sky, I was working. However it seems to be that a certain rider seems to have a great deal of control when it comes to meetings being called off and a bit too much imo.

Yes, the ref made the right decision in excluding Hans, but it was a racing accident casued by the conditions at Poole - nothing more, nothing less.......... stop trying to cause trouble.

:D:D stop trying to cause trouble :D saint kevin of oxford :P now where is my pot and kettle !!!!!!!

Guest schumifan
what i don't get is why he can do that there against people he faces in heat 13 but when he's riding for oxford he doesn't do much.

:blink: He beat Richardson because of an engine failure. He was hardly flying now was he?

i'm not but well done howe i thought he broke his arm or something. he went to wide on the last corner he would have had a good (ish) night. what i don't get is why he can do that there against people he faces in heat 13 but when he's riding for oxford he doesn't do much. he just one  of these riders who need a kick up the arse and he will do well so try and encourage him in the next meeting you go to cheetah fans!

Maybe, just maybe, his efforts tonight were the result of a kick up the arse (as you put it) from Aaron after Friday night - let's just hope the rest of the team respond in the same way!!

:blink: He beat Richardson because of an engine failure. He was hardly flying now was he?

He was leading Richardson when he retired to be fair - give credit where it's due.

Maybe, just maybe, his efforts tonight were the result of a kick up the arse (as you put it) from Aaron after Friday night - let's just hope the rest of the team respond in the same way!!

Or maybe Oxford riders just perform better when the track is crap.