British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

An Open Letter To The Riders At The Elrc

laydowns ... other than the upright class

maybe something you need to think about also is that a lot of the riders from a few years ago that were prepared to ride on less than perfect tracks where former grasstrack riders ... don't seem to get that too often these days do you.

Agreed, although watching conference racing over the past few years i have noticed a willingness to ride in less than perfect conditions. Hopefully these young lads will carry this through.

grasstrack bikes have a good suspension, and i think a longer wheelbase and a 22" rear wheel.

maybe something you need to think about also is that a lot of the riders from a few years ago that were prepared to ride on less than perfect tracks where former grasstrack riders ... don't seem to get that too often these days do you.

I've noticed this as well. It seems that very few riders are now coming through from the grasstrack circuit, most seem to come straight into speedway. Very different from say 15 years ago.

So if laydowns can be used in grass track why is it an issue for speedway riders to be riding laydowns in 'tricky' conditions? I'm not trying to catch anyone out, I'm just trying to understand.

I've noticed this as well. It seems that very few riders are now coming through from the grasstrack circuit, most seem to come straight into speedway. Very different from say 15 years ago.

I reckon this is probably down to cost. There have been a few that have given it a go. Namely Darren Rolph grasstracker turned speedway rider. Not too sure what happened to him he looked a tidy rider from what i can remember.

So if laydowns can be used in grass track why is it an issue for speedway riders to be riding laydowns in 'tricky' conditions?  I'm not trying to catch anyone out, I'm just trying to understand.

I think its probably something to do with how the power is distributed/centre of gravity.

I mean it's been suggested that laydowns are suited to smooth/slick surfaces, and don't give the control needed for the grippy/heavy/tricky surfaces. However they are used in grasstrack. Although I know nothing about grasstrack, I do know you wouldn't describe it as smooth/slick. Does the suspension make all the difference? Is the laydowns v uprights just an excuse used by some riders that can't handle a 'proper' track?

have you ever had a go in a go-kart?

if so, think how bumpy it was on the track ... then think what it might have been like going round the track in a car with suspension.

there's your difference

have you ever had a go in a go-kart?

if so, think how bumpy it was on the track ... then think what it might have been like going round the track in a car with suspension.

there's your difference

So basically then if we want to see racing on anything other than perfect tracks and with laydown engines, we need to have speedway bikes with suspensions?

when is this meeting replayed?

Who cares???

Presumably a few riders had already made travel arrangements to get them to Poland for tomorrow's fixtures there.

As the meeting drew on into the night,fixtures in Poland needed to be met and the pay in Poland by far out does the pay in the ELRC

when is this meeting replayed?

Who cares???

Whor rides more likley . . . how many changes ?

Ut oh!!!  Look out one and all - Rainbow, Shazzy & Tabby - the fearsome threesome!

:D  :wink:

Don't look now Bryn but Rainbow is back on another thread :lol: