British Speedway Forum

If you're concerned, or you've got dodgy ears, or suffered headaches from noise before...then take some plugs :blink:

Alternatively...

a group of friends went last year for their first ever speedway meeting. I jokingly advised them that because it gets loud, it might be best to buy some airhorns and join-in !

They did just that and loved it ! :D

The noise isn't that bad...I find it adds to the occasion.

Another place to puy airhorns and air horn canisters is car shops. We get ours from Camberly Auto factors near us, think the canisters were about £3.50 and one with the horn was about £4-£5! Cheaper than the tracks.

Edited by FairyTasha

Hate to put a negative attitude to this post but i find Cardiff a bit of a bummer to get to and find accomadation (expensive aswell).

Having been twice before and really enjoyed the weekends i find it tough to justify the cost (having said that i can afford it ?) and long drive.

If only the Millenium stadium could be transported to London or Manchester!!  :rolleyes:

Yes, Cardiff is a lot further from Workington that London :blink: (it's closer by a pretty negligable amount BTW) and the cost of hotels in affluent South Wales is a lot more than any hotel in London! NOT.

If you want to stay in the centre of Cardiff, the weekend a big event is taking place in the city centre, you'll pay loads (as you would anywhere). Howvever, use your brain and stay in Newport, pay a lot less and still only be a bus and a train (maybe only a train) ride away from Cardiff and down the road from the Newport meetings on the Friday and Saturday. Newport to Cardiff is less than the distance from 1 side of London to the other! What you spend on bus/train fares will almost be saved on parking costs!

So my tips, save a bit of cash and stay in Newport, spend the money you've saved on a hotel by drinking a little more, by loads of airhorns (or if you're an old fuddie duddie buy some ear protection as your ears WILL still be buzzing when you get to bed), don't buy a programme as filling one in under the influence is near impossible (easier now with the current format I guess). Get to cardiff for mid-day and get into a bar (they're all by the stadium, for a reason!) and generaly have fun, you'd have to really try hard not to! If you really want to, you can even go and do some shopping pre-meeting!

Edited by SCB

Steve - Its Callaghans Irish Bar on the corner of Castle Street and the Millenium stadium walk and under the Holliday Inn, the beer garden is a sun trap, and would be perfect for a forum meet up

Any forum folk with children be warned they don't allow kids in there :wink:

SCB...airhorns are fine, it's just when there are about twenty of them in the open air...not a problem, but 30,000 in an enclosed stadium ........ :blink::D . Great evening out though.......wish I was going now..... :cry:

Yes, Cardiff is a lot further from Workington that London :blink: (it's closer by a pretty negligable amount BTW) and the cost of hotels in affluent South Wales is a lot more than any hotel in London! NOT.

I was thinking about direct train access to London and the greater choice of Hotels, which are snapped up very quickly at Cardiff.

Having travelled all over the world i still think Cardiff is still a bummer to get to..............then again who would be a speedway rider up and down the motorways, flights, long airport waits............oh and jump on a bike and ride like a maniac!!

Midnight Blue...you never know if Postlebloke enjoys promoting at Reading, see if Tony Mole will sell him Workington, the GP may come to you then!.... :D

Midnight Blue...you never know if Postlebloke enjoys promoting at Reading, see if Tony Mole will sell him Workington, the GP may come to you then!.... :D

The track may be better than Cardiff but i do not think the facilities are quite up to the Millenium stadium...................... :rolleyes:

What about hotels? No where near enough of them in Workington :P

What about hotels?  No where near enough of them in Workington :P

We could all camp out on the centre green...we could have our very own mini glastonbury!.. :D

Steve - Its Callaghans Irish Bar on the corner of Castle Street and the Millenium stadium walk and under the Holliday Inn, the beer garden is a sun trap, and would be perfect for a forum meet up, not forgetting its my birthday on June 3rd !

Hey it's mine a few days before,

Sean, the sheep, is also at the end of May ...

let's have a birthday get together ... If my memory serves me right there are quite a few of us celebrating our continued survival ;) around then :D

NOOOOOOO some of us like to get away from the place :P:D

It's also a week before a "special" birthday for Chivsy, so the first round will be on him! :wink: