British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Issue 14

Andy,

Thanks for responding positively and for your constructive comments. Thanks too to the rest for your kind comments. I'm sorry if I came across as touchy but having put so much into launching and producing Backtrack, I'm naturally disappointed if our readers have any gripes - and we like to address them.

It's not easy to please all the people all the time and, for instance, if you don't happen to like one of the riders we feature, then what can we do? We just want to know what you like and dislike - in fact, the next issue will include a readers' survey which we hope our subscribers will complete and return to us.

One change we are considering is to reduce the 'main man' feature, probably to no more than 5 pages, as this has taken up a large per centage of the overall content in previous issues. It is probably justified where genuine legend like Mauger and PC is concerned, but 10 pages on one rider is possibly pushing it too much and I acknowledge this. Having said that, the Simmo interview for issue 14 will be like no other EVER PUBLISHED - hard-hitting, highly contentious and totally absorbing. Watch out for it, because it will have everyone in speedway talking, as will his forthcoming book that we are publishing...(OK, it's a blatant plug, but I'm sure you will want to read what Malcolm has to say in SIMMO: THE WHOLE TRUTH, on sale at the start of June.

I cannot wait for this Simmo was certainly a character, I forward to seeing what he has to say.

Reading some of the comments i thought i would take this opportunity to say how much i am enjoying your mag tmc and great to see you havent forgotten your friends north of the border particulary the stevie lawson article what about an article on another man who kept glasgow speedway alive for years the one and only jimmy beaton im sure he would have a tale or two to tell

I think with club websites and forums now the speedway star is becoming a bit irrelevant although after 30 years i do still buy it through habit it is refreshing to have an alternative magazine to read especially one that covers the years when i was growing up i hope it goes from strength to strength maybe even appearing monthly

Looks like a heavy Hackney influence!

Nothing wrong with that! ;)

Articles please on Jessup (who has been telling my Son some entertaining stories), McNeil, Galvin & Mullarkey. Tony Featherstone is still competitive, but in a more leisuirely sport these days - readers may be interested. Keep up the good work TMC I have renewed my subscription again!

Edited by Brian L

Nothing wrong with that! ;)

Articles please on Jessup (who has been telling my Son some entertaining stories), McNeil, Galvin & Mullarkey.

As in Bobby McNeil :rolleyes: that wont take up a lot of space :P he might but the write up wont :lol: (Sorry Bobby couldn't resist)

Issue 14 received today.

Thanks to all concerned, exceptional standard maintained. Will keep me quiet

until it's time to see off those Newport Wasps.

Who's that nerdy looking curly topped anorkak type with Simmo on page 8?

Anyone other than me find the Ken Eyre 'then and now' pictures highly amusing?

This month's lookalikes: Bernt Persson - Philip Seymour Hoffman (P10). Graham Miles - Bob Dylan (P31).

Edited by Grachan

Now well into our third year of publication, issue 14 is packed with another batch of exclusives, including what must be the most explosive and controversial speedway interview ever published...

Main Man – Malcolm Simmons

To coincide with the launch of his new book, Simmo: The Whole Truth, which has set speedway buzzing, we talk in-depth to Malcolm Simmons. The former World No.2, British Champion, four times World Team Cup winner and three times World Pairs champion reveals all about his turbulent career spanning three decades and more.

Super Simmo, a legend at Poole, talks for the first time about the incident that led to his sacking from the south coast track in 1980, as well as lifting the lid on the infamous race-fixing scandal of 1984 when he admits he deliberately didn’t try to win a vital World Championship heat. Malc also confesses the shame he still feels at ‘throwing’ four consecutive races during his season with Swindon in 1985.

He recalls the humiliation of the six months he spent in prison which damaged the early part of his spell with King’s Lynn; why he disliked the fact that some of the American riders were involved in drugs; why he really lost the 1976 World Final to England rival Peter Collins; how he found National League racing with Hackney "easy" before injury halted his illustrious career; his acrimonious departure from King’s Lynn in 1988 after he was accused of fraud and police were called. All this, and much, much more, in our sensational interview that will send reverberations throughout the sport.

As Malcolm tells Backtrack, "I understand that what I’ve said in the book will no go down very well with a lot of people," he continues, "but that’s the way it was back then. I’m not saying speedway was or is corrupt – far from it – but I want to tell my story the way it is. Other people might wish to brush these things under the carpet but I’m not one of them. It happened. Fact."

After reading Simmo’s ground-breaking interview in the latest Backtrack, you will find his compelling new book irresistible . . .

But it’s not all Simmo. For your enjoyment, we also present…

Bernt Persson

A cracking, new exclusive with the former Swedish star and World No.2, who reflects on his successful British League days at Cradley Heath, where he remains an all-time legend among supporters of the sadly defunct Heathens. Bernie recalls the pain of losing the 1972 World Final run-off to Ivan Mauger and his previous high profile clash with the Kiwi legend at the 1967 final, also at Wembley.

Dave Morton

Injuries stopped the elder Morton brother from reaching the very top and reaching a World Final, but in this interview we look back with Dave on his succesful career at Crewe, where he wrote himself into the Guinness Book of Records, and Hackney, as well as his spells with Wolves, Sheffield, Ellesmere Port and Newcastle. Readers may be surprised to find out his individual highlight.

Bob Garrad

One of the all-time greats of National League, Bobby G talks about his rise to stardom with Rye House in the 70s and why he chose Hackney, and, not Leicester, when he tried his luck in the top flight.

Graham Miles

The latest in our series of interviews with wheelchair victims, the former Canterbury and Hackney rider vividly recalls the crash, at Waterden Road in 1971, that cost him the use of his legs . . . and how he has reinvented himself as a cabaret artist!

Ken Eyre

Long-term Belle Vue fans will readily recall the distinctive bespectacled Ken, one of the unsung heroes of the dominant Aces team of the early 70s. Ken moved to Wolves and reveals why he decided to quit racing so early in his career.

Who’s to Blame?

A controversial talking point from our top columnist John Berry, who examines what went wrong in British speedway after the golden era of the 70s.

Remember…1985?

Looking back in detail at the ’85 season, when the World Final came to Bradford, Oxford were BL champions and Ellesmere Port were kings of the NL, although their title win was overshadowed by the serious injury to Joe Owen.

It's Father's Day on June 18, so why not treat your Dad (or yourself!) with a subscription to Backtrack (still only £16 a year in the UK), or a copy of the new Simmo book. Got to http://www.retro-speedway.com and filll in the online form or phone our credit/debit card hotline on 01708 734 502.

Cheers,

Tony Mac

Anyone other than me find the Ken Eyre 'then and now' pictures highly amusing?

Yes, I suspected even before I got my copy that you were getting at the fact there isn't much difference :lol:

Wonderful stuff as always, obviously from my perspective, the Dave Morton and Bernie Persson features were interesting. I've no idea which part of Sheffield Bernie is referring to, but he may find some places even worse now!! I don't actually remember him being as bad as he says, although at the time it didn't seem to matter that much, with Doug and Reg there.

I also remember that we wanted Dave Morton when he asked for a transfer from Hackney, but like he says, they wanted an exchange, and we wanted him as well as, if you know what I mean! I remember that he really struggled with coming to terms with the tape touching rule in 1984, when it was brought in.

Edited by Tigerblade

Uncle Ted sneaked in there again :approve:

Excellent edition TMC many congratulations, the Graham Miles write up fantastic, Saw Graham at Cardiff this year with Bobby Mc and Dave Piddock.

Bobby Garrod awwwwwwwww love him he was definately the better looking in the team, no one will ever beat Ashley Pullen and Kelvin Mullarkey for being the clowns though will they? :lol:

Thanks again keep up the good work, off now to have a proper read of it in the garden. :approve:

Well done Tony/M another great read issue 14 just a little note in the John Jackson article that he almost won the div/2 title and actually beat Glover.First of all if he had used the engine my father supplied and his brother Fred tuned he would have won .John decided to use a borrowed motor for his first 2 rides and it was useless .The main point of the matter is that Carl Glovers dad went mad at JJ for beating his son ?????? :)

Yes, I suspected even before I got my copy that you were getting at the fact there isn't much difference :lol:

Wonderful stuff as always, obviously from my perspective, the Dave Morton and Bernie Persson features were interesting.  I've no idea which part of Sheffield Bernie is referring to, but he may find some places even worse now!!  I don't actually remember him being as bad as he says, although at the time it didn't seem to matter that much, with Doug and Reg there.

I also remember that we wanted Dave Morton when he asked for a transfer from Hackney, but like he says, they wanted an exchange, and we wanted him as well as, if you know what I mean!  I remember that he really struggled with coming to terms with the tape touching rule in 1984, when it was brought in.

Yes I was little disappointed that Bernie Persson did not enjoy his time at Sheffield, and I thought he did okay.

I remember Dave Morton leaving Hackney and Sheffield wanting him then, but there was a 3 way swap mooted Dave Morton to Sheffield, Finn Thomsen to Hackney and Doug Wyer to Wolvehampton, no way were Sheffield going to let Doug Wyer go, so swap deal with Thomsen and Morton happened.

Have to say what an excellent read, and looking forward to the next issue, wonder who will feautre in the next issue.