British Speedway Forum
Rob S.

World U21 Qualifier (sheffield).

Lewis has another 5 years left in the u21s.

Who would like to put a bet down now that he will make it to the final and probably win it?

If I was a betting person, I certainly would.

Well done to everyone, quite an achievement to even get into the qualifiers.

The final should be awesome, just wish I could go :(

Amazing meeting. That track had 36 hours of almost constant rain. The track staff must have worked wonders. Must admit when i got there and saw it i thought it looked like there would only be one line around the inside. How wrong. I write the overtakes down and my programme is one mass of blue ink !!!! I wish all those experts that pull Owlerton down had been there or better still i wish it had been on Sky instead of some of the drivle in drizzle we've seen. Too many highlights to pick them all out but Kyle Legault,s race with Edward Kennett was easily the race of the season so far [ at Sheffield ] Swopping places till Kyle finally swooped on the last bend only for Kennett to come back.They crossed the line side by side, Kennett won by inches and Kyle had to pull a locker on the slow down to the first bend to avoid tangling. Both riders appreciated a great race you could see that. Kyle's mistake was in heat 9. Miedzinski gave him a big shove coming off the 4th bend, Kyle caught him and on the next lap dived under him on the first bend. Miedzinski fell and slid into the fence. The ref had no option but to exclude Kyle. The two points at least and possibly three he'd have got would have taken him through but lets hope he learns to be more patient. I know this meeting meant a lot to Kyle and he was trying so hard but it wasn't meant to be today. Just like in heat 18 when he needed 3 points. I've never seen that in watching 30 years ! Two riders left at the tapes. Kyles was a broken primary chain [ and maybe the helmet after he threw it ] dont know what Bridgers problem was. Kyle will come good i'm certain. There were a lot of extremely talented riders on show today. Karol Zabik looked a class act. I remember his dad riding for the Tigers. Chris Holder looked good, his race with James Wright was awesome too, Wright sneaking round the kerb on the last bend to win by inches after Holder passed him on the third lap. Wrighty was pumping his arm Crump style afterwards, going mad !! Surprise of the meeting for me, Rene Van Weele from Holland. He looked very accomplished. But everyone deserved credit today. When Speedways like that it makes you very happy and remember just why you love it. Pity some of the stay away ' fans ' couldn't be bothered to go. Their loss !

yeah the weather i feel had an affect, was poor crowd really for a big meeting!

Great meeting - best I've seen at Sheffield for a few years - although to be fair I only see three/four meetings there each year.

Zabik looked very talented - was a bit impetuous in one ride when he fell when he may have been better settling for second - otherwise he looked a very good rider & I could see why he had been linked with Peterborough before they signed Swiderski.

Van Weele (perhaps Van Wheelie would b a good nickname for me :D ) was the best of the lesser known riders - he would make a decent PL 2nd string/reserve I reckon.

Felt a bit sorry for Steve Boxall - his ef in Heat 1 was quite costly really.

The other Brits did well. Lewis Bridger had a fall when 2nd & also an ef at the start line in his last ride. He didn't make a gate all night but he fought hard. I'm sure he'll be there or thereabouts in 12 months time.

Locals are only used to seeing processional home 5-1's. They wouldn't be interested in "proper" racing.  ;)

If the majority of Pl teams (especially yours) rode at Sheffield with the same determination as these lads rode tonight, the place would have been 'heaving'. All credit to them. B)

Who would like to put a bet down now that he will make it to the final and probably win it?

At his current rate of improvement, he'll win it in 2 season time, easily!

TBH, I kind of agree with Shovvy, looking at Lewis EL form, I expected him to qualify tonight with ease.

hi there could anyone in attendance notice who the track photographers were there. Mike Patrick or Ian Charles? perhaps. if not would anyone know the resident track photographers contacts please any help appreciated as per usual. cheers no worries Anth

Residents Chris Spires and Andy Garner were present, plus a.n.other whom I didn't recognise...

Van Weele (perhaps Van Wheelie would b a good nickname for me  ) was the best of the lesser known riders - he would make a decent PL 2nd string/reserve I reckon.

sorry but no thanks - only new overseas at heat leader now

well done to the Brits who made it - Ed and Jason can count themselves lucky lads but they certainly seized the opportunity with both hands

im guessing Steve Boxall is first in line as a replacement??

haven't read the rest of this thread but can i just add wha a refreshing breath of fresh air it was to wintess owlerton "first timers" giving it their all and attacking the track,thus creating a thrilling spectacle.three abreast just millemeters apart-what a joy to watch,far better than the PL dross we get served up with week in week out.it also gives us a clue as to why we struggle at international level because our best prospects were outclassed by their oversees equivalents.lewis,edward find yourselves a bigger home track if you wish to progress onto the world stage.zabik was awesome-can gate AND overtake.chris holder-wow what a racer,all out effort for four laps ...the best two owlerton debutants i can remember ! can we have more please!!!

Anyone notice the body colour Rene Van Weele was wearing ???

This will test the fans who look closely !!! :wink:

Anyone notice the body colour Rene Van Weele was wearing ???

This will test the fans who look closely !!! :wink:

Yes MM, it was a Carmarthen one wasn't it.

Some of us were saying that its a shame that a complete set of race jackets weren't made for the meeting, rather than the riders/federations having to provide them - especially for guys like Rene VV, Mat Tresserieu and Andrew Aldridge who must get little or no support from theirs......

well done Shalewhale --good eyesight. To be absolutely correct a Clwb Caerfyrddin Dragons one !!

Rene didn't have a colour and having already "made" one up for Skyler Greyson , was asked if I could sort something out for Rene --and he proudly wore the Dragons No. 1 colour ----in fact he didn't want to hand it back at the end as he said it was his lucky charm having qualified!!

Must agree with you in that for such a big event it is a pity that there was not a full set made --although Ed and Jason would have had Russian ones though !!

Edited by Main Man

Great meeting proving once again that riders who want to race can at sheffield. agree the british lads need to know how to race on big tracks if they are to progress in GP, zabic and holder were very good, attacking a track no one had told them they couldnt ride and providing excellent racing that our more experience premier league riders cant or wont provide week in week week out.

Does anyone know if Skyler Grayson and Andrew Aldridge came all the way for just this one meeting or are they hoping to break into a team over here?