British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Steve Shovlar

Cardiff Attendance

Well with less than a week away, and good weather now forecast, how many people do you think will attend next weekends GP at Cardiff?

Will it be 40,000 plus? Will TRick not doing so well have a determental affect on the crowd? Will the pathetic attempts by the Brits keep fans away?

I think this year we will be looking around the 40,000 mark, though it's peure conjecture. Has there been any news in the Speedway Star concerning advance ticket sales?

Certainly the so called "entertainment", from Bonny Tyler will keep me in the pub until 15 minutes before the meeting starts! :rolleyes:

Edited by Steve Shovlar

I'll be there with the rest if the family, thats 4 of us.

40,000 seems to be about it's level, it may fluctuate by 2,000 either way but i think it's unrealistic to expect any more to be there.

I booked my tickests a month ago on seetickets and I had very little to choose from on 2nd tier, mostly all gone. :( Eventually got a couple at £60 on backstraight :) . So based on this and having checked through all price availability think there will be a good turnout.

Mini bus full coming from Guildford! :)

Guest Quiksilver

Well there will be 2 less than previous years as me and Dad are going to Epsom to see the Vodaphone Derby.

He has been given some Corporate tickets to include free Drinks & Food,going on a coach,cant see Cardiff being much different from previous years.

To those going have a great day out :approve:

Chris & Pat (Christophers Dad) :o

I booked my tickests a month ago on seetickets and I had very little to choose from on 2nd tier, mostly all gone.  Eventually got a couple at £60 on backstraight  . So based on this and having checked through all price availability think there will be a good turnout.

bottom and second tier is always full, it's the top tier that shows how many are there.

Well with less than a week away, and good weather now forecast, how many people do you think will attend next weekends GP at Cardiff?

Will it be 40,000 plus? Will TRick not doing so well have a determental affect on the crowd? Will the pathetic attempts by the Brits keep fans away?

I think this year we will be looking around the 40,000 mark, though it's peure conjecture. Has there been any news in the Speedway Star concerning advance ticket sales?

Certainly the so called "entertainment", from Bonny Tyler will keep me in the pub until 15 minutes before the meeting starts! :rolleyes:

Why should Rickardsson not doing so well have an adverse afftect on the crowd? It will be a good chance to give him a good booing.

I don't think he will last the full season now that his heart and head are not in it.

Last year's attendance was actually 38k rather than the 40k the media predicted.

I think 40k it will be pushing this year, but I feel the crowd will never grow beyond that until there is a British Grand Prix Winner.

Previous year I have been 2003 14 in mini-bus

2004 15

2005 16

2006 Full Mini-Bus plus a small one.

Hazzman, I think you are right about needing a Brit winner to swell the crowd, but I think because the series is spread over ten rounds it will always difficult to fill the stadium. But what I would like to see are the numbers that attend the whole of the GP series, and also an estimate on the amount of TV viewers around the world.

I was told that SKy figures are booming, and that only football has bigger numbers watching on TV.

Give me a bit of time, someone posted the attendance figures of last year's GPs and I will see what percentage of them are full of capacity.

Speedway is 3rd in Sky's Ratings. Cricket is 2nd. Two sports above it what Sky have monopolised coverage of. I know plenty of people who watch Speedway idly on Sky, they know there is a track at Coventry and Peterborough but no clue where etc. I have also been told Speedway comes across better when the presenters and commentators are actually in the Stadium and not locked in some studio in Kent. My Uncle not a Speedway fan watched the WTC Final from Wroclaw live, he said it was not the most exciting racing but with Sky being there, the atmosphere came across a lot better.

Based on 2005 attendance give out by the FIM and then capacity on BSI's website Speedwayworld.tv. This is the percentage of how full the stadiums were. Everything has been rounded up to two place deicmal.

Wroclaw 62.5%

Eskilstuna 60%

Krsko 58.3%

Cardiff 60.8%

Copenhague 73.8%

Prague 60.37%

Maillia 83.33%

Bydgoszcz 70.59%

Lonigo 75%

Maillia was the most popularist mainly down to a Swedish World Champion, Lonigo is the suprise but that is a small stadium. Worst is Krsko due to no constant GP rider at the time and no mass Speedway market in Slovenia.

Overall,

150,064 People Went Through the Gates at GPs Last Year, averaging 16,673 a meeting. This is unfair due to the smaller stadiums.

The total capacity of all the GP Stadium put together is 228,000. Making the GP are attended in the venues on average in 65.81%

Wow! Hazzman, thanks for the figures. I am suprized by the over all attendence, I would have thought some of the GP's were close to being sell out's.

coventry have organised 4 coaches and a mini bus total of 221 plus numerous fans getting their by their own devices.

Edited by full-throttle

I think the crowd will be somewhere between 60 and 70,000