British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SCB

They Blew It!

Yes Crump was superb. To go almost the entire World Cup unbeaten against the best riders in the world would have been some feat. I can't remember seeing Leigh Adams look so poor for ages. He was so subdued. Sullivan ? Doesn't seem to do it when the pressure is on. Cracking speedway meeting though.

Ifs, buts, maybe, at the end of the day we are close but we dont have the class of some other sides

Thats what makes it annoying. Our riders gave it there all but our manager slipped up, he missed a chance, it may not have worked, the TS may stil have come last but why not even try it? IF (I know, one of them :P) we had won that heat, with about 5 heats to go we'd have been leading, it may have lifted our riders and we'd have possibly got the win. We'll never know and Middlo missed the opportunity :(

Only ONE of them blew it.  Many of them cost them points by under performing but one guy actually had the points but threw them away, he had nothing mroe to gain being 1st than he did by being 2nd.

Wrong. As an out and out racer Crumpy had the opportunity to go through both meetings unbeaten, which would have been one hell of a feat. He didn't make it, which was a shame for him.

Aces fans will never criticise a ride for trying.

The Aussie psyche means that coming second is not really different to coming fourth, which is why Crumpy is a winner. It is also why his team mates will not criticise him. He might have been born here, but his determination is 100% Aussie. Just wish team GB had five of his ilk.

Wrong. As an out and out racer Crumpy had the opportunity to go through both meetings unbeaten, which would have been one hell of a feat. He didn't make it, which was a shame for him.

Aces fans will never criticise a ride for trying.

The Aussie psyche means that coming second is not really different to coming fourth, which is why Crumpy is a winner. It is also why his team mates will not criticise him. He might have been born here, but his determination is 100% Aussie. Just wish team GB had five of his ilk

The problem here is that Jason forgot he was racing for a TEAM (or even NATION) and NOT for himself.

He chose his personal glory ahead of the glory of his entire nation.

Would you be happy if he was in second but winning the league for the Aces then decided to go for a personal Max and lost the title for the team???

I think he made a wrong choice there.

Would you be happy if he was in second but winning the league for the Aces then decided to go for a personal Max and lost the title for the team???

I think he made a wrong choice there.

Not the same as tonight, win or lose wouldnt make Oz the champs so can really see what ppl are getting wound up about, aussies wont be too cut up about 2nd or 3rd place.....

Some times you have to look at the bigger picture. Crumpy didn't.

I say this as a Jason Crump fan, someone who'd love to have him in their team and watch him week after week.

at the end of the day, finishing second, third or fourth means nothing, every rider out there wanted to win it, anything other than that doesn't really matter

Not the same as tonight, win or lose wouldnt make Oz the champs so can really see what ppl are getting wound up about, aussies wont be too cut up about 2nd or 3rd place.....

It wasn't about the win, but it was about a medal for the nation. It wasn't between 2nd and 3rd, it was about 2nd and nothing.

Maybe aussies really are win or nothing, but if I was Trav, I'd be pretty p***** off that Jason threw away my FIM silver medal in an attempt to get himself some personal glory...

at the end of the day, finishing second, third or fourth means nothing, every rider out there wanted to win it, anything other than that doesn't really matter

Exactly!! :approve:

Infact Crumpie probably did them all a favour by coming off, because at least the Aussie's didn't have to have the slap in the face of standing on the podium whilst the Danes all hugged each other and the 2nd and 3rd teams pretended they were happy to be there!!!

Maybe aussies really are win or nothing, but if I was Trav, I'd be pretty p***** off that Jason threw away my FIM silver medal in an attempt to get himself some personal glory...
Most aussies dont like 2nd or 3rd.

The only thing McGowan's got a justifiable cause to be upset about, it's his exclusion in his final heat - Crump scored four times as many points as McGowan. Crump didn't lose the Australians anything - McGowan, Adams and Sullivan are the culprits, if anyone is. Crump kept Australia in the hunt and he was let down by his team mates.

Edited by Subedei

The only thing McGowan's got a justifiable cause to be upset about, it's his exclusion in his final heat - Crump scored four times as many points as McGowan. Crump didn't lose the Australians anything - McGowan, Adams and Sullivan are the culprits, if anyone is. Crump kept Australia in the hunt and he was let down by his team mates.

cant see adams as a culprit myself, sullivan looks like the prime one.

Most aussies dont like 2nd or 3rd.

At least they have the right attitude. However, I bet they hate 4th even more! What was Crumpy going to gain by getting a maximum? We'd have all said it was typical Crump (scoring another maximum after the 102 he's got already this year ;)) and said well done and forgot about it. However, had he settled for 2nd, Travis McGowan would have a runners up medal now, better than the nothing he now has.

Tonight may have been the peak in Travis' career, if it was, he'll always look back and wonder what if. Crumpy HAD that medal for him.

Maybe Crumpy didnt realise the score was so close.

Lokks like your just stiirring for stirrings sake SCB its a non issue.

I see people are knocking Travis Mcgowan. To me personally i thought the lad was a damn site better than a certain Chris Louis, who was supposed to be the inform man :unsure:

I still say David Norris would of achieved more. Afterall it was his own track for around 10 seasons.

The Aussies were let down not by Travis, but by the form of Ryan Sullivan and a normanly outstanding Leigh Adams.

The brits need to thank Scott Nicholls for keeping us in there with a shout. Our gating was totally shockingly bad. And needs addressing if we are going to be a World Beater.

The Swedes run out of heats/time as they were on the march in those later races.

The Danes were a class act, but N.P attitude reminds me of a certain miss piggy :P