British Speedway Forum
Hot Shoe

Arthur Browning

Just got back from South Wales for the Aberdare Park road races. Great to see Arthur Browning in action on his Jawa road racer.

I've seen Arthur ride in Speedway, Motocross, Trials and Enduro over the years and he always had (and still has) that amazing relaxed upright style whatever he rode.

What a great allrounder. They certainly don't make 'em like that anymore!

:)

Edited by Hot Shoe

Does anyone recall an event called "Superbike 6" which took place I think in 1978 or 79. It featured riders from road racing, trials, motocross and speedway. I recall Peter Collins representing speedway along with another rider who I can't recall. We at Brum always thought that Arthur should have been entered in it as he would probably have ran away with the competition.

I remember the speedway leg was held at Muckyhampton with the rest being held at Donington.

I remember Arthur riding a Scunthorpe and breaking a finnger and just carring on and one time trying to ment the bent fram on Kevin Teger by standing on the bike whith one hand holding on th yhe pits roof and bouncing up and down on the bike that was resting on two concreate blocks.

Great days!!!!

• Like 1

Does anyone recall an event called "Superbike 6" which took place I think in 1978 or 79. It featured riders from road racing, trials, motocross and speedway. I recall Peter Collins representing speedway along with another rider who I can't recall.

I have a feeling it might have been John Davis. I'm going way back now but I remember this BBC grandstand event clearly because they used crappy Kawasaki KL 250 trail bikes for the "motocross" section. My Dad owned one of these KL's at that time, and belive me, anyone who could ride "motocross" on one was some bike rider!!!

Does anyone els think it could have been JD???

As for Arthur Browning, I used to ride in British Championship two day Enduro's in the late eighties (only clubman class) and Arthur was often around, usually somewhere with an alchohol licence!

I also remember bumping into him once again at a Weston Super Mare beach race, again in the bar, must have been 1987 or '88.

As quite rightly previously stated, a true competition motorcycle all rounder.

Quite how anyone as big framed as Arthur was ever able to ride a speedway bike we'll never know!

Regards,

http://www.sliderphil.netfirms.com

Does anyone recall an event called "Superbike 6" which took place I think in 1978 or 79. It featured riders from road racing, trials, motocross and speedway. I recall Peter Collins representing speedway along with another rider who I can't recall.

I have a feeling it might have been John Davis. I'm going way back now but I remember this BBC grandstand event clearly because they used crappy Kawasaki KL 250 trail bikes for the "motocross" section. My Dad owned one of these KL's at that time, and belive me, anyone who could ride "motocross" on one was some bike rider!!!

Does anyone els think it could have been JD???

As for Arthur Browning, I used to ride in British Championship two day Enduro's in the late eighties (only clubman class) and Arthur was often around, usually somewhere with an alchohol licence!

I also remember bumping into him once again at a Weston Super Mare beach race, again in the bar, must have been 1987 or '88.

As quite rightly previously stated, a true competition motorcycle all rounder.

Quite how anyone as big framed as Arthur was ever able to ride a speedway bike we'll never know!

Regards,

http://www.sliderphil.netfirms.com

I seem to remember it being Michael Lee, or I could be mistaken, I also think that Ivan Mauger also competed.

Don't know if it was true but someone once told me that Arthur was the stuntman riding the motorbike in the Milk tray advert in the 70's

You're right Keith, the Big A did indeed ride the bike in the Milk Tray ad of circa 1972. He did it in one take, refusing to do the stunt more than once because, quote "it's too f**kin' dangerous" or words to that effect.

You're right Keith, the Big A did indeed ride the bike in the Milk Tray ad of circa 1972. He did it in one take, refusing to do the stunt more than once because, quote "it's too f**kin' dangerous" or words to that effect.

Sounds like him.

He came over to Scunny for the last meeting of the season and had everyone laughing when he was interviewed over the centre green mic.

Sounds like him.

He came over to Scunny for the last meeting of the season and had everyone laughing when he was interviewed over the centre green mic.

How tall was he, looking at photo's he looks about 10 foot tall.

I remember sitting next to Arthur in the Long Eaton changing rooms after a meeting. He showered, ran out to his car, & brought back a crate of beer for everyone.

I recall Big Arthur riding for Greeves in scrambles in the sixties, very good strong rider.

One of the few riders who was good at most forms of motorcycle racing.

Another scrambler who migrated to Speedway was Malcolm Ballard another fine motorcyclist.

Colin

I recall Big Arthur riding for Greeves in scrambles in the sixties, very good strong rider.

One of the few riders who was good at most forms of motorcycle racing.

Another scrambler who migrated to Speedway was Malcolm Ballard another fine motorcyclist.

Colin

As did John Louis.

How's the Backtrack Magazine story coming on?.............   :rolleyes:

Regards.

Now that'll be worth reading.

I think The Big A was 6ft 2in. @

Although the wife says he's 6ft 5in, but women are terrible judges of these things, no?

Edited by czechhero