British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
longlivefrankie

Tony Millard!

I wonder if Martin Tyler likes speedway LOL. he'd still probably know more than mr Millard.

I don't get paid to be a professional e-mailer though do i smartarse  :P  :D

No and I'm only a semi-professional smartarse. But I hope to turn professional soon.

Question: How would Millard spell imcompetent?

T-O-N-Y-M-I-L-L-A-R-D (perhaps)

Edited by Sir Ted

Agree with all the above except I thought the "Sullivan could clinch the championship" was his best effort last night.

When you consider the amount of money Sky invest in their sports coverage it beggars belief that they then go and employ someone who has proven time and time again that he is totally incapable of doing a competent job.

Perhaps without being aware of it, Salty, you have hit on the cause of he problem. Sky Sports don't have enough left over to pay for a speedway commentator!

It's obvious that the commentary is done from a studio, even though Sky try to trick us into believing the commentators are actually at the track. This makes it all the more important for the non-expert commentator to be able to identify the riders and call the action from what can sometimes be very brief glimpses. Millard clearly doesn't do his homework, so he is frequently incapable of identifying the riders on sight. More than this, he is prone to numerous lapses where he confuses the helmet colours, leading to him call the wrong placings during the race, until he realises his error, which he sometimes tries to cover by pretending there have been some passes. Millard comes across as amateurish at best.

Pearson's approach is to shout to make it all seem more exciting than it often actually is. This soon becomes irritating, as he leaves himself nowhere to go when it does get exciting. He does little to hide his biased opinions, which he should keep to himself anyway - he's there to commentate, nothing more.

The experts usually do a good job. Johnston rescued Millard on several occasions last night and still managed to add insight to the events on the track.

All we need is a commentator who can identify the riders, tell us who is first, second, third etc, inform us of any passes, tell us the results, and at opportune moments, invite the expert to give more detailed analysis.

I put a thread up like this 3 months,incredibly the bloke has got even worse since then,a truly diabolical commentator,anyone would be better.

Edited by ruckerroo

And if he needs any guidance along the transition to full pro, there's enough on here to offer advice. :lol:

thanks guys i thought it was just me lol

i prefer pearson only cos he seems to know so much more about opur sport and ahd genuine love of it

i reckon old kelvin should be gievn a try

let the ex riders do it with more contemporary ones...

crikcet is fine example....we need a bumble not abumbling idiot lol :blink:

Huh you think he is naff, you should try to listen to Peter Churchill on Eurosport, he was commentating on the World Equestrian 3 Day Event this afternoon, and he was giving the scores and penalties for each rider before they had finished their round, so we knew whether they went clear in the time or not hardly before they had started. Also, he also kept getting the names and sometimes the sex of the riders wrong. Obviously Sky and their contemporaries do things on the cheap :angry:

Badge, you need to get out more :D:D

It's been said before. Dave Lanning would be the ideal man for the job. And he is already with Sky I believe. Trouble is I remember some of his gaffs too!

how about STUART HALL ?? :D

Edited by weymouth alicat

Sky Sport's please employ our own Stevie Shovlar a true expert who would surely bring a little bit of added spice to the meetings.

Sky Sport's please employ our own Stevie Shovlar a true expert who would surely bring a little bit of added spice to the meetings.

Yep Steve Shovlar and Stuart Hall, a match made in heaven i am guessing.

In fact you could say KNOCKOUT :D

Would certainly have been some "interesting" comments after BP was excluded if young Shovlar had the microphone.