British Speedway Forum
Gaz W

British Selection For 2007

30 years ago Andy we had 4 out of the top 8 in the world.Just as well there wasn't a GP sytem then as one at least probably wouldn't have been allowed in the competition,given this quota system

I'd rather see Harris failing than either Richardson or Loram. Stead would be a bit too unstable for the stage. It could be a major blow to his confidence if he was to struggle in the GPs. Harris would relish the challenge and fight, he wouldnt base his career around the GPs either and much needed sponsorship will come his way.

Scott Nicholls has already said that if he doesn't qualify as of right then he doesn't deserve to be there. I'd hope he'd have enough integrity to live up to those words and decline any invitation proferred.

Why do certain people keep bringin this up again and again, I think we need to disregard this quote from Scott since he got hurt and missed the last GP and probably won't be 100% for Latvia, although some on the BRITISH Speedway forum won't be happy till the BRITISH no1 is out of the grand prix and we never have anyone in the semis.

I know Scott is unlikely ever to become world champion but we need to get behind him unlike the minority on here who seem to take every opportunity to have a dig at him.

In answer to the original question I think Harris deserves a chance alongside Nicholls in 07.

Scott Nicholls has already said that if he doesn't qualify as of right then he doesn't deserve to be there. I'd hope he'd have enough integrity to live up to those words and decline any invitation proferred.

I wonder if this may be reconsidered if his collar-bone injury prevents him from making the top 8 !! Has a ready made excuse now ... Plus with Cardiff being the Speedway SGP jewel in the crown will need 2 Brits in series.

Loram would be popular but would tend to go against the BSI trait ... so I guess it would be between Stead and Bomber .... Bomber out performed Stead in the GP Qualifier so the balance would favour him I guess BUT is Steady more marketable !!!

I wonder if this may be reconsidered if his collar-bone injury prevents him from making the top 8 !! Has a ready made excuse now ... Plus with Cardiff being the Speedway SGP jewel in the crown will need 2 Brits in series.

Loram would be popular but would tend to go against the BSI trait ... so I guess it would be between Stead and Bomber .... Bomber out performed Stead in the GP Qualifier so the balance would favour him I guess BUT is Steady more marketable !!!

More MARKETABLE ???!!!

I hope that we have Scott Nicholls and Chris Harris in the GP's next year.

Scott is getting better all the time, and his rivalry with Hans Andersen is pushing him to new heights. Don't forget that Hans was dropped from the GP's because he didn't finish in the top eight last year. Now he has hit a patch of form which showes his true class. Scott I think was his equal before this season and I think we may see him become equally as good or close to.

As for Chris, he is improving fast and with him and Scott being at the same club, there is bound to be a rivalry growing between them, both wanting to be number one at their club and also the best British rider in the GP series.

As for Mark Loram I thgink he is still good enough, but I doubt he will be given the chance.

Bring back a full qualification system, and make it fair for all.

By which you mean domestic championship and international elimination rounds to qualify, free of quotas? If so, I totally agree! :approve:

Yes AndyM, that is what I mean.

Every rider should have the chance to qualify for the series, I can understand the reasoning behind picking a certain few riders from each country, but it still seems a little false to me.

I am a big Mark Loram fan and think it would be great to see him back in the GP's but I personally think it should be Nicholls and Bomber. From what I have seen of Bomber on Sky this year he is by far streets ahead of any of the other British riders, with the exception of Nicholls. I think Loram has had his chance and Stead is not yet ready and put him in the GP now may do more damage than good.

So for me, Bomber of Nicholls, sorry Loramski.

Harris did himself the world of good scoring 17 in front of BSI yesterday. Especially as he preformed better than Mark.

More MARKETABLE ???!!!

Well said SCR :P

I am a big Mark Loram fan and think it would be great to see him back in the GP's  I think Loram has had his chance So for me, Bomber of Nicholls, sorry Loramski.

Not that big a fan, that you can right him off for the GP series next year then :rolleyes:

Not that big a fan, that you can right him off for the GP series next year then  :rolleyes:

Yeah, just think it is time for the younger generation to have a go. :blink::blink:

I wonder if this may be reconsidered if his collar-bone injury prevents him from making the top 8 !! Has a ready made excuse now ...

Never short of excuses, ready made or not.

Nicholls will be in the GP next year, whether qualified or seeded.

As for the 2nd Brit, imo, BSI will go for an ex-World Champ (Loram) rather than Harris who will get the Cardiff Wild Card. Harris' current form puts him in front of Stead.

I am surprised that nobody has mentioned Andy Smith though..... :lol:

Scotty should be in there whether he qualifies in the top 8 or not, he's our top rider and we need him in there.

Between bomber and loramski, i'd have either, both are great value for money and would be great additions to the gp series.

The only thing that goes against mark is his age but if he is good enough then.....

You know what the simple answer is to this don't you, have all 3 in there! :D