British Speedway Forum
Guest Donsking

Teams And Their Nicknames

Guest Donsking
Rob was merely picking up on the fact you never mentioned Rockets  :P   :wink:

Hi Shazz

I did kinda start this off as a 'what were they then' thread, back in my day, Rye House didn't have a team, it was just a training track, now they've nicked Rayleigh's nickname, and more power to them!

Edited by Donsking

Always facinated me,on why certain teams had their relevant nicknames.Was it a case of the promotions sitting around & throwing a few names in the pot & choosing what sounded right?Or was it more deep & meaningful than that...

For example,it wasn't until 1936 that Bristol became the bulldogs.This was a suggestion by one of the supporters club members.As Birmingham were also known as the bulldogs,the speedway authorities asked for one of them to change,flakes & friars!!! being suggested for Bristol(why these?),in the end,Birmingham decided to become Brummies.

So hope Bristol come back as Bulldogs so Reading become Racers again!

Didn't mean to hi-jack your thread Norbold,but thought maybe the two go hand in hand. :)

Hi Shazz

I did kinda start this off as a 'what were they then' thread, back in my day, Rye House didn't have a team, it was just a training track, now they've nicked Rayleigh's nickname, and more power to them!

Didn't help them yesterday did it :rolleyes::wink:

Hackney Wick Wolves

Blimey was they really called that Norby :o

Not sure, but think we may have missed off:

Sittingbourne Crusaders and Buxton Hitmen

Not sure, but think we may have missed off:

Sittingbourne Crusaders and Buxton Hitmen

Macca..isn't it supposed to be defunct clubs ?

New Cross Rangers were the first team i supported in 1963, the year they closed .

The late great Squibbo was top man..they also had Penniket (think he was their no.2), plus Dugard , Reg and Eddie Reeves , Stevens , Luckhurst .

Sure The Norbmeister can elaborate or correct me on this .

Tamers..what period whas that ?

It's not my thread, Gresham. I think you should apologise to Donsking. :)

:oops: Oh yeah,red wine & sunday mornings don't mix,banging head...apologies all round & especially Donsking...:oops::)

Macca..isn't  it supposed to be defunct clubs ?

New Cross Rangers were the first team i supported in 1963, the year they closed .

The late great Squibbo was top man..they also had Penniket (think he was their no.2), plus Dugard , Reg and Eddie Reeves , Stevens , Luckhurst .

Sure The Norbmeister can elaborate or correct me on this .

Tamers..what period whas that ?

What a team, eh? :approve: It was Des Lukehurst not Luckhurst and Johnny and Bobby Dugard both rode for New Cross in 1963.

When New Cross moved from Crystal Palace in 1934, the promoter, Freddie Mockford, decided to leave a new nickname up to the supporters and apparently they chose the name, Tamers. The Supporters' Club secretary explained at the time that this was because Wembley were nicknamed the Lions and Harringay were nicknamed the Tigers and New Cross were going to "tame" them both.

The nickname was changed to the Rangers shortly afterwards.

Edited by norbold

Don't think the London Lions have been mentioned yet - mind you it was a pretty forgettable time after the owners ruined the Old Hackney stadium! :P:wink:

Rob was merely picking up on the fact you never mentioned Rockets  :P   :wink:

I didn't know Rye House Rockets were defunct, unlike Roosters/Red Devils. All that just because they lost at home to King's Lynn? Has anyone told their rather charming forum members?

Edited by rmc

Guest Donsking
Always facinated me,on why certain teams had their relevant nicknames.Was it a case of the promotions sitting around & throwing a few names in the pot & choosing what sounded right?Or was it more deep & meaningful than that...

For example,it wasn't until 1936 that Bristol became the bulldogs.This was a suggestion by one of the supporters club members.As Birmingham were also known as the bulldogs,the speedway authorities asked for one of them to change,flakes & friars!!! being suggested for Bristol(why these?),in the end,Birmingham decided to become Brummies.

So hope Bristol come back as Bulldogs so Reading become Racers again!

Didn't mean to hi-jack your thread Norbold,but thought maybe the two go hand in hand. :)

It's not my thread, Gresham. I think you should apologise to Donsking. :)

:oops: Oh yeah,red wine & sunday mornings don't mix,banging head...apologies all round & especially Donsking...:oops:  :)

Thanks for the thought Norbold (love Norbmeister whoever posted that!) but there's really no need for Gresham to apologise, he had much the same thought as me, which is one of the reasons I started this thread.

I know its slightly off thread but it is related.

The Halifax Dukes race jacket used to have an elephant as the emblem.

Anyone know how this came to be? It always used to intrigue me

I know its slightly off thread but it is related.

The Halifax Dukes race jacket used to have an elephant as the emblem.

Anyone know how this came to be? It always used to intrigue me

I believe it was related to the West Riding-based Duke of Wellington's army regiment which used the elephant emblem.

http://www.regiments.org/regiments/uk/inf/033DWR.htm

Edited by rmc