British Speedway Forum
Guest Donsking

Teams And Their Nicknames

Sure - my comments were aimed at those responsible for withdrawal of the 'Cheetahs' nickname. Whoever was to blame, I still hated the 'Silver Machine' nickname. It conjured-up far too many memories of questionable 70s films about motorcycle racers.  :D

Was it anything to do with 2 Hawkwind band members .who wrote the '72 song Silver Machine , hailing from Oxford ?

Was it anything to do with 2 Hawkwind band members .who wrote the '72 song Silver Machine , hailing from Oxford ?

Plausible but that has to be weighed against the promotion having already used it at King's Lynn. I think it was perhaps more a personal Nigel Wagstaff "brand".

Did they play Lemmy's gentle little ballad at Lynn or Cowley?

In the case of Oxford, I believe the 'Cheetahs' nickname was chosen by the fans back when the team started in the 1940s.

There was a contest in the Oxford Mail in March 1949 to name the team, I dug out the copy with the winners in once, and if memory serves first prize was a season ticket or £5.00. Four people shared the prize for the 'Cheetahs' (the money I guess, not the season ticket).

Near winners were names like 'Academic Dons' and variations based around the University, like 'Dark Blues'- people seemed to identify more with the University then, in particular sports - despite the ancient Town and Gown rivalry - for example the Varsity football team Pegasus were a legend, and everyone was very proud of the four minute mile being run on the Iffley Road track, but consider the decline in interest in the Varsity Boat Race today, once a national event.

Further topical choices of name were linked to atoms and atomic power.

Give us a C!

Did Sunderland not also go under the "Saints" in the 60's?

and can't see Romney Falcons anywhere on here?

im sure i have abadge somewhere plymouth devils

Did Sunderland not also go under the "Saints" in the 60's?

One year only 1964 Sunderland 'Saints'

Actually those involved will recall that the original concept of the "Silver Machine" was borne out of Waggy's close friendship with the late Simon Wigg who believed that team colours both in terms of racing suits and bike covers was the way to go.

Waggy joined Brian Griffin as co-promoter at King's Lynn, Brian as a top photographer, had close contacts with members of Hawkwind and - hey presto, the Silver Machine was born!

BOSTON BARRACUDAS

Nice name even though they were named after the promoters American Car, a Plymouth Barracuda!!!