British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Andrew

8 Races In 13 Heats Around Owlerton!

Back on the 2nd September 1976 Carl Glover rode in 8 of the 13 heats in the Tigers home meeting against Hull,including four on the trot!

Riding at number three he had is four programmed rides in hts,4,7,11&13 and replaced Bengt Larsson in hts 1,6&10(R/R)and was used as a tactical substitute inplace of his brother Les in ht12,scoring 10+3 in a 36-42 defeat.

So did riders often take 8 rides a meeting back in the day and when did that rule change aswell as seemingly triple rider replacement by one rider?

Coincidentally I commented on the R/R rules from 1976 just yesterday in another thread.

This was the R/R and guest rule in 1976, paraphrased from a Swindon v Sheffield programme.

If the no 1 is out, then any other rider can have a maximum of 3 of his rides as R/R.

If the no 2 is out, then the no 1 can have one of his rides and the remaining riders can have a maximum of 3 of his rides.

If the no 3 is out, then the no 1 can't have any of his rides, the number 2 can have one of his rides and any other rider can have 3 of his rides.

If the no 1 and no 2 are both out then the remaining riders can have a maximum of 3 R/R rides.

If the no 1 and no 3 are out, the no 2 can replace the no 1 3 times or the no 3 once and the no 1 twice.

All other riders can have 3 replacement rides.

If 3 riders out of the top 5 are absent, a guest may be used for the highest average absentee and, if out of the 3 riders absent, one of the other heatleaders is out, rider replacement can also be used.

I remember Finn Thompsen getting 21 from 8 rides at Swindon that year. I think they only had this rule for that season. Fancy that. Speedway changing the rules.

Swindon won 53-25 by the way! And Martin Ashby beat Tommy Jansson 2-0 in the Golden Helmet.

Edited by Grachan

I can remember Bernie Leigh having 9 rides for Reading at Newport the same year.

Fairly sure it was 8 (4 programmed, one TS and 3 rider replacement), but otherwise correct

Fairly sure it was 8 (4 programmed, one TS and 3 rider replacement), but otherwise correct

I'm sure it was 9, Reading almost won that night, so he didn't have a tac sub ride. He was a reserve, in those days they had 3 rides, so it was 3 programmed rides, 3 reserve rides + 3 R\ R rides, in fact if Reading ever went 6 behind he could have had a tac sub ride making 10 !!!!!!!

I'm sure theres someone on the Newport Site who's got all the records I'll ask thers as well.

Edited by father jack

I'm sure it was 9, Reading almost won that night, so he didn't have a tac sub ride. He was a reserve, in those days they had 3 rides, so it was 3 programmed rides, 3 reserve rides + 3 R\ R rides, in fact if Reading ever went 6 behind he could have had a tac sub ride making 10 !!!!!!!

I'm sure theres someone on the Newport Site who's got all the records I'll ask thers as well.

I've found the programme and he rode in:

Ht 2 programmed ride

Ht 3 RR (for Bengt Jansson)

Ht 5 - reserve rep (for Bob Humphreys who fell in heat 1 and withdrew from meeting)

Ht 6 - programmed ride

Ht 8 - res ride for Humphreys again

Ht 9 - programmed ride

Ht 10 -RR

Ht 12 RR

He scored 12+3

Newport won 41-36 after a final heat 5-1. Crump (Phil) top scored for Newport and John davis for Reading

Of course Bernie did have a ninth ride...

... in the second half :o

(he finished third in heat 2 of the quaintly named "Racers Rumpus" :unsure:

Looking at other programmes from that year they also had:

a Pirates Prance against Poole

a Halifax Hurricane

and a Wichypoo Whirlwind (I kid you not) against Ipswich!!!

Edited by arnieg

Looking at the Swindon v Sheffield programme I mentioned earlier, Carl Glover had 2 R/R rides for the absent Arnold Haley and scored 1 point from 6 rides!

Even though riders could have a maximum of 8 (or is it 9?) rides, the score sheet only had space for 6 rides, so maybe that's just as well.

Was that not the year that Rider Replacement came into force? I know that was the year when Henny Kroeze got the first ever 21 point maximum.