British Speedway Forum
BrizHeathen

He was a tough un

Yes, iris, maybe I was exaggerating a bit to say ALL the time, but I do think they would give of their best in League matches. Certainly Ivan's averages would suggest he was doing his best.

my dad and me could certainly tell some things about some of the individual meetings :wink:

some of the things he did and said before and after some meetings were 'interesting' ...

Edited by stevehone

James Birkinshaw is a rider who to me has always came accross as a tough guy, maybes its his voice ;)

Yes, iris, maybe I was exaggerating a bit to say ALL the time, but I do think they would give of their best in League matches. Certainly Ivan's averages would suggest he was doing his best.

my dad and me could certainly tell some things about some of the individual meetings :wink:

some of the things he did and said before and after some meetings were 'interesting' ...

Come on then Steve,spill the beans or do we have to wait for the book to come out :(

One of the things he usually said after the meetings i was at was"#### off,your not getting an autograph" ;)

Edited by iris123

:rolleyes: got everything autographed...

what annoyed me back then was having to give my bed up for him.

lets just say, we knew what sort of meeting he would have before it started... times he was injured but being forced to ride etc ...

can't say too much... he's due over soon :unsure:

can't say too much... he's due over soon  :unsure:

fiddlesticks :angry:

What did the great man like for breakfast,then.If he had time for food that is

can't say too much... he's due over soon  :unsure:

fiddlesticks :angry:

What did the great man like for breakfast,then.If he had time for food that is

whatever my mum cooked him...

i suppose you were one of those Dons fans that would boo him every time he rode at Plough Lane... and then wait outside for his autograph :D

i could never understand the boos ... but i suppose British mentality... hate a winner

just had a thought too... 'he was a tough un' ... wouldn't have argued with Ivan's mechanic Gordon Stobbs!!

Edited by stevehone

:o As i said,i think he is the best ever.Don't mean i liked him(admired maybe)but certainly never booed him, nor anyone else for that matter.Well maybe Bert Harkins :blink:Oh,forgot to mention i always booed you B) Never asked for an autograph though Edited by iris123

Oh,forgot to mention i always booed you B) Never asked for an autograph though

yeah you weren't alone... i even booed myself at times

but hey, i got on great with Steve Brown and the rest of the loonies on the first bend at Wimbledon... great days actually

Has to be the one and only Alan Wilkinson

knocked off a Leicester rider with his arm whilst stood on the track as the rider can round then big fight. :mad::mad:

Also storming the ref's box at kings lynn when he was upset with the ref :D:D

Guest Nero Frost

What about Ole Olsen, Tom Owen (Joe's Brother), Crazy Jack Millen (of course) & Carl Glover, rode for Boston in the seventies - he was barmy.

Roman matousek was as hard as nails, but a lot of the eastern europeans look tough.

I always think that dear old SANDOR LEVAI was as hard as they come. Add to that VACLAV VERNER and his brother JAN. Nobody would mess with OLLE NYGREN and PHIL CRUMP was equallyas tough.

One of the VERNERS actually completed a meeting with a severe case of the old "Farmer Giles". Once when ROMAN MATOUSEK got very much the worse for wear it took 3 of his team mates to tie him to a lampost to allow him to sober up. The rumours of what he is doing these days are indeed most worrying, but there again entirely probable

Speedy Pete Jarman was tough, he once has a argument with the tractor at Ellesmere Port and broke his arm, at the time he was so far behind after the race had finished the tractor pulled out, so he laid his bike down underneath it! Remember him diving under people at Arlington, also Des Lukehurst what a hard nut he was with Romford!!!