British Speedway Forum
Robbie B

Your 1st Meeting

Why are tracks nearly always so short these days?

chatting to a mate at Rye House last night I happened to mention this...

the reply worried me somewhat in that the regulation states that any new tracks being built must be within a certain length, therefore all tracks must be stupid small trick tracks.

can anyone confirm this?

no more quality tracks to be opened like canterbury, old poole, exeter, swindon etc :-(

It's the first I heard of this Steve (not that that means anything), but it's a crazy rule if you're right.

All I know is that I was about 8 months old (1982), Hackney Vs.....???

Cheetahhawk...can you throw some light on the subject?

Guest cheetahhawk
All I know is that I was about 8 months old (1982), Hackney Vs.....???

Cheetahhawk...can you throw some light on the subject?

You must be joking :lol: How do you expect me to remember what happened 21 years ago when I can't even remember what happened last week :lol::shock:

However I do remember MY first meeting.It was at Wimbledon,way back in April :?: 1963 and the visitors were Belle Vue.I can't remember the result of the meeting but I can remember seeing Peter Craven ride. I was only 10 at the time but the original PC really impressed me :)

Coventry v Swindon, 14 July 1962

The bug bit and it still bites !!

It was very early seventies, Cradley v Coventry at Dudley Wood.

I was very young and pestered my old man to take me all the time after that. All I remember was the huge crowd and the big rivalry between the two number ones, Bernie Persson and Nigel Boocock, oh and I was always amazed by the legendary Scotsmans Bank, where hundreds of fans watched for free..

The rest is history, I'm still hooked.

I can't remember my first meeting like Honey I was Very young at the time, there are lots of meetings that are very memorable for me though and the one that really sticks in my mind was Uncle riding @ Wimbledon and making the rostrum, Mrs Moon (Canterbury fans will know who I mean) was there and she made our day complete by wearing a crown with "King Ted" on it.

My dad thinks i was about 6 weeks old (August 1979), he cant remember who we were racing but it was definatley at Plough Lane.

Its probably because you cant lose children there, as children me and my brother use to disappear all the time, especially to go and peep into the pits (we thought we were being naughty!:oops: ) through a crack in the door, mum and dad never worried about us because we couldnt get out!

All the people that i stand with all went as children which is probably why we are so addicted and passionate towards the club.

Hi all

1st meeting 1947 aged 4 wembly v ? have been going ever since

all the London teams at that time then hackney in the later years

now oxford and coventry every week.

cheers Tony.

11 May 1960. New Cross v. Norwich. Ove Fundin winner of the first race I ever saw when he beat Split Waterman in heat 1.

Ove Fundin and Split Waterman in my first race - no wonder I got hooked!

I have absolutely no memory of the first match I went to cos I was about 6 weeks old at the time.

I do know it was at Owlerton, and Dad reckons it was the first match of the 1981 season and was against Wimbledon!

Can anyone tell me if this is right, and what the scores were?

It would have been, roughly, the end of March 1981.

18th May 1968, Canterburys first meeting, I was 9 when my late Dad took me along to see this sensational new sport in the area. totally hooked ever since and all I can remember of the day is the huge crowd more than I had ever seen and the dust. :D