British Speedway Forum

I have to say that the weather forecast was indeed the same last night as this morning, however they were all wrong. The BBC (and apparently Sky which we never looked at) gave persistant heavy rain. Metcheck gave persistant light rain, very light until the meeting would have been over. Reuters gave light showers until evening. Heavy rain that stopped at 11.30 for any amount of time I didn't see anywhere. During the week we have been speaking about the weather at length every night and Metcheck and Reuters had been the two that had been most accurate in that time. If he had pulled the meeting last night and the forecast he used had been accurate he would have been criticised for that, bit of a damned if you do, damned if you don't job really.

Probably right that somebody should have stayed on at the track but everybody had had enough and the guys that had been working all morning were soaked through so I guess it was a courtesy that got missed. I think it was about 12.30 by the time everybody left but I can understand it would have been frustrating and I will mention it to Tim.

Made the trip up from Cornwall for the NYC and fiound out it was off as I crossed the bridge. IMO the correct decision, I have spent the afternoon with family in the Newport area and its been raining most of the time.

Yes, but as you know Promoters never get it right. If Tim had called it off yesterday just in case, people, possibly yourself, would then have moaned that they should have done their utmost to get it on so as not to wreck the weekend that fans had planned for.

BTW the forecast was not the same as yesterday as the rain stopped after the calloff.

Never the mind, might see you at the rerun. :D

:blink:  :blink:

No i wouldn't have moaned about it, because now i've spent out on fuel to get to newport and back, were as if it had been called off i wouldn't have travelled all the way to newport and back and would of been able to come next week, but like i said i can understand why tim did what he did and you're right what ever he did would of been wrong with someone x

Hope it goes well next sunday for you all B)

I can understand your frustration, Sue. No-one likes a rain-off, especially when travelling a long way. We had got well past Monmouth ourselves before turning round having found out it was postponed. But (and please don't think I am having a 'dig' here) I must jump to the defence of the Newport promotion in this instance. The Newport promotion printed a weather update phone number on the advert for the meeting in the Speedway Star. Also, you mention that you looked at this thread before setting off, but the number was posted on this thread too.

I appreciate you turned up to an empty stadium, but how many other times would you expect people to be at the stadium 2 hours after a rain-off (Vince says everyone left about 12:30).

Like I say, I understand your frustration, but with the weather being touch and go, everyone who travelled must have appreciated they were risking a wasted journey. I know quite a few people who checked the forecast and decided against travelling. Therefore, to travel all the way from Weymouth without checking en-route that the meeting was still on was always going to be a risky strategy.

It was the correct decision, as many have said already, to postpone the NYC. We'd already paid our 'entrance fee' to get into Wales so popped in and saw some friends instead. B)B)

We phoned at 8am before we left Cornwall and at 10am when on the M5. Alas by 11.15am (when we made the last call to the update line) we were well into Wales !! Never mind we had a good day anyhow !!

I heard by text it was called off half a mile onto the toll bridge :sad: Still I bought a Wales magnet at the service station :unsure:

I still say you should have done a u-turn before the toll booths. :wink:

No i wouldn't have moaned about it, because now i've spent out on fuel to get to newport and back, were as if it had been called off i wouldn't have travelled all the way to newport and back and would of been able to come next week, but like i said i can understand why tim did what he did and you're right what ever he did would of been wrong with someone x

Hope it goes well next sunday for you all  B)

Jesus Christ. You can't go calling meetings off because of the weather forcast, you call it off when the track is unfit for racing and when the rains not letting up to allow the track to be sorted.

Also, why should someone sit in the rain just to tell you the meeting is off, are you really not capable of working out when you get there and see no cars, vans, people and a closed turnstile that the meeting is off?

Also, why should someone sit in the rain just to tell you the meeting is off, are you really not capable of working out when you get there and see no cars, vans, people and a closed turnstile that the meeting is off?

I think that's a little harsh SCB, it wouldn't have hurt for someone to have have left a notice of some sort saying the meeting had been postponed. Let's be honest, some meetings are postponed until later the same day (SWC @ Gdansk before you ask :wink: ) and a little courtesy on behalf of the promotion wouldn't have cost much. ;)

I think that's a little harsh SCB, it wouldn't have hurt for someone to have have left a notice of some sort saying the meeting had been postponed. Let's be honest, some meetings are postponed until later the same day (SWC @ Gdansk before you ask :wink: ) and a little courtesy on behalf of the promotion wouldn't have cost much. ;)

That would have been nice but unless they have a laminator at the stadium you wouldnt have been able to read it pinned tl the gate.

Sue - I plan on going next week. Send me a PM with your mobile. We will have a good source inside the stadium and hear quickly. We let others know today soon as we got the news.

That would have been nice but unless they have a laminator at the stadium you wouldnt have been able to read it pinned tl the gate.

Sue - I plan on going next week. Send me a PM with your mobile. We will have a good source inside the stadium and hear quickly. We let others know today soon as we got the news.

In true SCB fashion :wink: , could I suggest that the notices could have been prepared earlier (at minimal cost) and only used in the event that the meeting was postponed? :P

I'll try not to hold any grudges at the blatant favouritism shown to Sue with the offer of "news hot from the press". :P:lol:

In true SCB fashion :wink: , could I suggest that the notices could have been prepared earlier (at minimal cost) and only used in the event that the meeting was postponed? :P

I'll try not to hold any grudges at the blatant favouritism shown to Sue with the offer of "news hot from the press".

I cant ask for your number kev - someone may shoot me!!! :unsure::D

But if you send it to me I wont tell if you dont tell!!!

I cant ask for your number kev - someone may shoot me!!! :unsure:  :D

If it saves us £5.10 I'm sure you would be forgiven.

You know what those Scots are like :lol:

Jesus Christ.  You can't go calling meetings off because of the weather forcast, you call it off when the track is unfit for racing and when the rains not letting up to allow the track to be sorted.

Not expexting someone to stand in the pouring rain, and yes we are capable of working out for ourselves that the meeting was off, but when we left it had been said on here it was definitely on, and we didn't have any rain on the way up to newport until we came off the toll bridge.

I have already said more than once that i understand why it was been called off.

Thank you for the offer sandie :D

Edited by sue cheney

Just to let you know that you did not have to pay the toll if you had not handed your money over!!!!!

tell them at the tolls you only have credit cards and no cash and they will take you back across the bridge back to the england side so you can get some cash from a cash machine, then you drive off into the sunset back into england:)

Phil :rolleyes:

I cant ask for your number kev - someone may shoot me!!!

But if you send it to me I wont tell if you dont tell!!!

I don't have a gun but someone else may shoot you or at least say they need that number for some reason :wink:

If it saves us £5.10 I'm sure you would be forgiven.

You know what those Scots are like :lol:

I'll get you for that Kev :wink:

Just to let you know that you did not have to pay the toll if you had not handed your money over!!!!!

tell them at the tolls you only have credit cards and no cash and they will take you back across the bridge back to the england side so you can get some cash from a cash machine, then you drive off into the sunset back into england:)

Phil :rolleyes:

Didn't know that but surely they would take your registration number and it was my car yesterday :shock: