British Speedway Forum

:D

Nice to see some speedway. Congratulations to Tim Webster and Sam Hurst for a brilliant race and for staying on. 3rd and 4th bend  need serious sorting. No doubt this will be done before March.

Not normally. :D:D

just like to say i thought considering the recent weather conditions i thought the riders should be thanked for putting on the meeting and riding on a difficult track

Edited by richard

Well done to David great to read a positive to start to the 2007 season- keep it up mate

Best wishes

Jackie Keith and Jade xx

Edited by jackieb

any comments on Michal's riding?

Slav do you not believe me?, Michal was good, great to see some speedway again, congratulations to everyone for getting the meeting on and all the riders for giving their all.

Good to see David ride with confidence! This kinda makes up for when Freddie fell off... :D:P

Slav do you not believe me?, Michal was good, great to see some speedway again, congratulations to everyone for getting the meeting on and all the riders for giving their all.

you know I do, waiting for pics.

Although Cunningham beat Neath on countback they tossed a coin to see who would be the fourth rider and Neathy won.
2 of the final places were agreed by a toss of a coin and I will let SCB give you the quote of the day when he's next on line.

"I always said Glenn Cunningham was a useless tosser".

(please note, thats a humourous remark based on my very slight dislike of Glenn)

any comments on Michal's riding?
Not bad, not great either. Would not be totally annoyed if he signed for Newport though I still think there are better options (including, the useless tosser :o ).

I thought bend four was a terrible, most of the riders were having big problems.
You can't say that!! On the other hand, as a Coventry fan I can say it was diabolical and cost Bomber the title :(

Also a massive rut on bend one which Richard Hall found to his cost!

Suppose all these can be put down to the recent weather tho?

Rut?! LOL. That was just where the track was wet and stodgy, we (as in the people I were with) realised early on that anyone trying that was taking a risk would either gain a stupid amount of time/speed/distance if it went right, it was alwso going to take someone out. We were not wrong.

Good to see David ride with confidence! This kinda makes up for when Freddie fell off... :D  :P
You would say that, just as I'm going to say that I'd prefer to see the team winning a competition that one rider winning a glorifed practice session (as thats all it is to Bomber and Howe).

Rider to impress me where Howe and Bomber (duh!) and Glenn Cunningham (:o), Werner is also impressed for a 5.5 rider.

Good meeting, thought the crowd was down on previous years.

The Pole tryed his heart out to be fair and with more knowledge of the track would be good. Gave Neathy some hassle a couple of times, was on the pace, good gater and had a nice style with seemingly a good set up.

His style IMO was almost like Mads Korneliussen. I think on 8 he would be a very big gamble to be honest with you, but maybe would pay off. Personally, though he looked good, I wouldnt sign him on 8.00 :unsure:

One man on a mission was Glenn. Was flying today IMO and out to impress. Definately think he is after a team place. Not sure it will happen. No one has forgot about the days he was at Newport, but could be a points machine at home. Have we got time to mess around waiting for the Pole to develope?

Anyone help with the quad results please?

Saw the presentation and left at that point.

Cheers in advance.

Good Meeting Pinstripe? it was absolutely dire, on a lovely sunny (early on) day for Winter, the track was more akin to Ice Speedway, with riders falling in virtually every heat. The crowd was clearly down on recent years, and those that stayed away missed nothing! A waste of £14 - The only good point was the smell of the methanol, which will keep me going until March, when for another quid i can watch the much superior Elite League product.

Could the staff have not used a broom to stop supporters wading through water on the way to the toilets?

This was on the edge of bringing the sport into disrepute, in my opinion naturally!

This was on the edge of bringing the sport into disrepute, in my opinion naturally!

And the FIM, BSI and a serial failure are quite capable of achieving that without any help from Newport.

I thought it was an excellent meeting all things considered. OK, there was alot of petty crashes and engine failures, but I think that's all par for the course.

I certainly don't begrudge paying £14 or indeed 50p to sit in the "grandstand". I enjoyed my first trip up to Newport (excluding the previous weekend) and I wish them all the best in the future.

it was absolutely dire, on a lovely sunny (early on) day for Winter, the track was more akin to Ice Speedway, with riders falling in virtually every heat.

In the winter the problem is once something gets wet it generally stay wet - speedway track included. Considering its been raining almost non-stop for god knows how long I'm not surprised is was a bit slippery.

I do agree though that it wasn't the best New Year Classic I've seen.

<edited out deliberate error ;) >

Edited by Diesel

Good Meeting Pinstripe? it was absolutely dire, on a lovely sunny (early on) day for Winter, the track was more akin to Ice Speedway, with riders falling in virtually every heat. The crowd was clearly down on recent years, and those that stayed away missed nothing! A waste of £14 - The only good point was the smell of the methanol, which will keep me going until March, when for another quid i can watch the much superior Elite League product.

Could the staff have not used a broom to stop supporters wading through water on the way to the toilets?

The weather on the day might have been fine but surely you must take into account the two weeks of wet weather preceeding the event. The track was always going to end up spongy in places and with riders giving it their all spills are going to happen on that sort of surface.

Some Elite league may be superior but the vast majority of what I saw at various tracks (not just on TV) last year was dull and processional with far too big a gulf between the GP riders, third HLs, second strings and the reserves to be frank. £15 for that could be why so many of the EL crowds are so poor nowadays.

I agree its been a problem that seems to be a permanent fixture at Nport during the winter. Shame cos the whol place could become a bit special with a bit of TLC.