British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Issue 17

Just a taster of what's to come at the end of November in issue 17...

MAIN MAN – the late BILLY SANDERS.

John Berry, who acted as Billy's legal guardian when he first arrived in the UK in 1972 and had the horrible task of identifying his former No.1 rider's body after he took his own life in 1985, provides a compelling - though sad - insight into the tragic the life and times of the Australian ace.

IAN CARTWRIGHT

Remember 'Super Mouse' of Halifax, who began his fence-scraping antics at Crewe and became the Dukes' No.1 and an England star? Now he's the head of a company producing work fit for royals...

RICHARD HELLSEN

Remembering his days with King's Lynn and Swindon and why he's grateful he got the sack from White City.

KENNY McKINNA

On the former Glasgow promoter whose name he still cannot bear to say, his acrimonious departure from the Tigers, and why he has only good memories of Belle Vue boss Stuart Bamforth and that great Hyde Road track.

DEFUNCT TRACK – Hull Vikings (The Boulevard years)

From Tony Childs to Jimmy Mac, Briggo, Ivan and the zany Americans, if you were a Vikings fan in the 70s and early 80s, then you don't want to miss this!

Tributes to BRUCE FORRESTER & MIKE CUROSO

BERNIE LEIGH

Just what did 'Good ol' Bernie' and his Reading team-mates Dickie May and Dag Lovaas get up to on a dark motorway one night?

MILAN SPINKA

The courageous Czech and how he bounced back from terrifying crashes...

MORE CONFESSIONS

We take a sneak preview inside John Berry's brand new book and wonder just why and who he's nominated for Queen's honours, as well as what he has to say about every track he's ever visited as a team manager/promoter. You just know that someone's going to be upset, don't you...

MASTERMIND

How are you doing in our quiz? Check out the leading pack and put your knowledge to the test again.

Plus....very nice full colour pictures of..

PHIL COLLINS (Cradley)

JOHN JORGENSEN (Coventry)

BARNEY KENNETT (Canterbury)

MARVYN COX (Oxford)

GEORGE MAJOR (Birmingham)

STEVE McDERMOTT (Berwick)

BRETT SAUNDERS (Edinburgh)

ROBERT HENRY (Mildenhall)

Have you remembered to renew your subscription yet? Or treated a loved one to a subscription as a Christmas gift? Well, what are you waiting for...

Http://www.retro-speedway.com

Edited by tmc

Looking forward to a good read.

There's a small colour pic of Tony in the next Backtrack, as part of the 'Hull - Defunct Tracks' feature.

What a character. I remember him causing uproar during Hull's visit to Romford in 1971 - can't remember exactly ehat he did to so upset the locals, but he was Public Enemy No.1 at Brooklands for a while!

We should interview Tony Childs. Can anyone help with his phone number, to my email address:

editorial@retro-speedway.com

Cheers,

Tony Mac

i know his daughter well tony i will find out for you m8i know he aint been to speedway for a while few years he use to do the wall of death aswell i think at fairground shows ,,

what a character he is and he dont like losing on a dartboard!!good job i was on his side cause hed never beat me

Issue 17

Just to confirm that the latest issue is being posted out from our mailing house this morning (Monday, Dec 4), so all subscribers should receive their copy before the end of this week.

Many thanks for your patience, as it's a little later than usual (all due to the books we've had to get out!).

If you don't already subscribe (shame on you!), then the new issue will be on sale at the Brighton Indoor meeting on Sunday.

I wonder if Richard Hellsen will recall his last race for Swindon, when he needed less than 2 points for his average to be below 6 and enable him to drop down to the NL.

There he was, happily cruising around in third, when one of the riders in front had an ef on the last lap. Cue comedy last bend cock up, where he was surprisingly passed and still finished in third place.

I wonder if Richard Hellsen will recall his last race for Swindon, when he needed less than 2 points for his average to be below 6 and enable him to drop down to the NL.

There he was, happily cruising around in third, when one of the riders in front had an ef on the last lap. Cue comedy last bend cock up, where he was surprisingly passed and still finished in third place.

If he does recall it, he didn't mention it!

Are you sure you haven't been re-reading Simmo's book again and getting 'em mixed up!

If he does recall it, he didn't mention it!

Are you sure you haven't been re-reading Simmo's book again and getting 'em mixed up!

No, it was a classic moment. It was totally obvious and everyone already knew he as going to ride for Long Eaton the following year. Bought howls of laughter from the crowd.

When was the latest Backtrack posted? Mine hasn't arrived yet (the postman has recently been broadsiding his pushbike up the path as well). :lol:

Just finished reading mine Tony your article on Mauger /Ricko was spot on Ivan is the complete rider over all, the rest of the mag was excellent aswell :) keep up the good work and Merry Christmas to one and all :):)