British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Puma23

Riders From Fiji

Billy Galloway and Graham Warren come from Fiji ?

Edited by Puma23

Hi -don't know about Galloway but certainly Graham Warren was famous for being born in Fiji-altho' an Aussie

After some extensive research by Australian speedway historian, Ross Garrigan, I think we can say that Billy Galloway was not born in Fiji but Australia.

Billy Galloway apparently did take a touring team to Fiji in the 1920s.

After some extensive research by Australian speedway historian, Ross Garrigan, I think we can say that Billy Galloway was not born in Fiji but Australia.

Don't think there is any evidence of this. Only a myth. Galloway had his bike with him on board of an ocean liner on his way to America (or UK?), and he worked on board as a hairdresser ! During a stop in the Fiji Islands, Galloway "gave the locals a demonstration of broadsiding on his dirt track bike". That's all !

There is no prove that any dirt track or speedway racing was ever done in Fiji, but there was a touring party from NZ in 1970 in New Caledonia ! If I remember correctly Mike Fullerton was one of the touring riders there. Would be interesting to know more about this unusual venture.

Also still a great mystery is the pre-war speedway history of Singapore - something to research for our speedway historians out there. :)