British Speedway Forum
treborbee

6 Riders In The Swc Teams

I thought the rules already allowed for tactical sustitutions, seem to remember Nicholls having an extra ride at Reading last year, although I was seeing double(s) at one stage of the evening.

I thought Eric Gunderson and some other riders were injured and couldn't continue with their rides in a World Cup Final at Odsal a few years ago

I thought Eric Gunderson and some other riders were injured and couldn't continue with their rides in a World Cup Final at Odsal a few years ago

I think that was when they had five riders in each race. Much better with four in a race.

I think that was when they had five riders in each race.

That crash was in the old World Team Cup back in 1989, and ended-up Gundersen's career. All four riders in the first heat (Erik Gundersen, Lance King, Simon Cross and Jimmy Nilsen) were injured in a first bend pile-up and unable to continue. They were replaced by reserves for the rest of the meeting.

The 'old' WTC format was 4 riders per team + a non-programmed reserve that could be used at any time. There weren't any tactical options.

The five riders per race format is quite a recent 'innovation', although the old World Pairs Championship did run with six-rider races from 1986-1990.

That crash was in the old World Team Cup back in 1989, and ended-up Gundersen's career. All four riders in the first heat (Erik Gundersen, Lance King, Simon Cross and Jimmy Nilsen) were injured in a first bend pile-up and unable to continue. They were replaced by reserves for the rest of the meeting.

The 'old' WTC format was 4 riders per team + a non-programmed reserve that could be used at any time. There weren't any tactical options.

The five riders per race format is quite a recent 'innovation', although the old World Pairs Championship did run with six-rider races from 1986-1990.

Sorry. :oops: Thanks for correcting me on that one.

That's very true. For example, the Poles could simply name Tomasz Gollob at reserve and then select 5-6 "easier" heats for him to ride in. The same could be said for Jonsson, Crump or Nicki P.

What's wrong with that - it's called tactics. Would make the meeting more interesting and give the team manager more scope.

All the best

Rob

Back in the day (early 90's) didn't the WTC (as it was back then) allow teams to name any rider as reserve? I say go for it, if teams want to put Gollob/Nicholls/Crump at reserve they can, but they may lose out if a couple of riders get injured later on and they have given the reserve all his rides.

Back in the day (early 90's) didn't the WTC (as it was back then) allow teams to name any rider as reserve?

Yes, but teams rarely used their best riders in that position. Although you'd have thought it would be a tactical advantage, teams seemed reluctant to do it.

In any case, you could discourage teams from doing this by making the rules so that the reserves were not allowed to take as many rides as the other riders.

Haveing reserves is a sensible way forward and being able to use them at any time is no different than other sports,ie football.Imo the only rule should be that the reserve must have the lowest average of the named riders

Imo the only rule should be that the reserve must have the lowest average of the named riders

What average? Swedish league? Polish league? British league? German league? What if the rider doesn't ride in any of them leagues?

Scott Nicholls and Chris Harris will be in there for sure

Think Lee Richardson is in for a good season, so he should be there and really Mark Loram and Simon Stead filling the top 5 places quite easily.

So who will be the standby reserve ?

Lewis Bridger ? - should be a 6+ rider this year

David Howe ? - with bp's added he will be a 7+ rider

David Norris ? - cant see him getting ahead of the two mentioned already

Edward Kennett ? - should be a good 5-6 point rider at Poole with Middlo ?

Chris Louis ? - Will he want to be considered at his age ?

1 = Scott Nicholls

2 = Simon Stead

3 = Lee Richardson

4 = Chris Harris

5 = Mark Loram

6 = David Howe

7 = Lewis Bridger

If early season form is anything to go by then Wrighty should come into calculations also.

Guest Schumi
Chris Louis ? - Will he want to be considered at his age ?

I'd expect so now, given Mark Loram's injury - unless it's not as bad as first thought and he's back by July. We can hope. :)

Edited by Schumi

Without Mark Loram it really means the squad is weak.Got to hope Howe continues in the form of last night and Kennett and Bridger come on in leaps and bounds.And if we get another top rider injured then we might as well throw the youngsters in and forget using the likes of Norris,Louis or Barker.Not looking promising at the mo

Why all the doom and gloom,we were,nt going to win it anyway,so we should be building for the future and bedding 1 or 2 of our promising youngsters into the international scene.

S Nichols.

C Harris.

S Stead.

T Woofinden. get him in an England jacket before the Aussies do.

J Auty.

J Wright.

L Bridger.

In no perticular riding order with guys in the pits (C Louis,D Norris,J Screen,Havvy ect)helping our future England team to become winners again