British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Annual Collectors' Fayre

Just to confirm, for those who are interested, the annual collectors' fayre will be held at High Beech on Sunday, February 18, from 11.00am.

For those who don't know the traditional venue, it's the Kings Oak Hotel (pub) in deepest Epping Forest, just a skid away from where the first-ever (it's claimed!) British speedway meeting was staged in February 1928. Food and drink refreshments are available and admission to the actual speedway collectors' fayre is ABSOLUTELY FREE.

There will be the usual nostalgic displays of vintage bikes and racejackets (courtesy of Terry Stone), plus plenty of stalls flogging memorabilia - old progs, pictures, books, etc. Linda and George Barclay on the Speedway Museum stand will be selling their neat new fleeces and polo shirts with the distinctive Peter Craven action logo embroidered on them.

The organisers are expecting one or two special guests to appear - and you are certain to bump into numerous former riders in any event.

Almost forgot, the latest issues of Backtrack (issue 18) and Vintage Speedway Magazine (No.56) will also be out by then! We'll also be selling our full range of books, plus coasters and (probably) our new t-shirts with a 70s/80s theme to them.

On our Retro Speedway stand, we will also be selling the brilliant new DVD from Australia – LIONEL VAN PRAAG – FLYING DUTCHMAN. It's the first opportunity anybody in the UK will have to buy this excellent tribute to the sport's first World Champion.

The Speedway Museum also benefits from the stall holders who attend, so just by turning up and supporting the event you are, indirectly, making a valuable contribution to the Speedway Museum fund, too.

So hands up who, among Forum members, is going to make the trip on Sunday, Feb 18?

Edited by tmc

Just to confirm, for those who are interested, the annual collectors' fayre will be held at High Beech on Sunday, February 18, from 11.00am.

For those who don't know the traditional venue, it's the Kings Oak Hotel (pub) in deepest Epping Forest, just a skid away from where the first-ever (it's claimed!) British speedway meeting was staged in February 1928. Food and drink refreshments are available and admission to the actual speedway collectors' fayre is ABSOLUTELY FREE.

There will be the usual nostalgic displays of vintage bikes and racejackets (courtesy of Terry Stone), plus plenty of stalls flogging memorabilia - old progs, pictures, books, etc. Linda and George Barclay on the Speedway Museum stand will be selling their neat new fleeces and polo shirts with the distinctive Peter Craven action logo embroidered on them.

The organisers are expecting one or two special guests to appear - and you are certain to bump into numerous former riders in any event.

Almost forgot, the latest issues of Backtrack (issue 18) and Vintage Speedway Magazine (No.56) will also be out by then! We'll also be selling our full range of books, plus coasters and (probably) our new t-shirts with a 70s/80s theme to them.

On our Retro Speedway stand, we will also be selling the brilliant new DVD from Australia – LIONEL VAN PRAAG – FLYING DUTCHMAN. It's the first opportunity anybody in the UK will have to buy this excellent tribute to the sport's first World Champion.

The Speedway Museum also benefits from the stall holders who attend, so just by turning up and supporting the event you are, indirectly, making a valuable contribution to the Speedway Museum fund, too.

So hands up who, among Forum members, is going to make the trip on Sunday, Feb 18?

I'll be there on the Museum stand itself. Please come and say hello. :)

I will make the trip up as usual.Ive only missed one in the last few years.

Good day out for those that enjoy the history of the sport.Always good to see riders from yesteryear supporting the event as well.

Norbold ... would this be a good place to go to try and sell my 1946 & 1947 scrap books that you saw a couple of years ago?

or would you suggest ebay?

You could try selling them at High Beech. If you don't get what you want try eBay.

(The scrapbooks I saw, eh...hmmm...as I said I'll be on the Museum stand... :) )

Sadly I will be missing from High Beech this year, however I will try and get some of the new Days Gone By dvd's there.

The Wizzlings and I will be there, even if it's only to hear that Jap (?) engine fire up again :)

Simmo at High Beech reunion

FORMER World No.2 Malcolm Simmons is the star guest to mark the 79th anniversary of speedway racing at High Beech on Sunday, February 18.

‘Super Simmo’, who won four World Team Cup gold medals and three in the World Pairs Championship, will be appearing at the King’s Oak Hotel in Epping Forest . . . where speedway first burst into in Britain on a cinder track way back in 1928.

"My career started quite a bit after that historic meeting," laughs Malcolm, who was 60-years-old in March, "but I’ve been riding motor bikes since the early 60s and I still ride fairly regularly in trials events for fun on Sundays."

Simmo started his speedway career with Hackney in 1963 before winning the British League and Cup double with West Ham in 1965. After becoming an England star with King’s Lynn and Poole in the 70s, he also starred for Wimbledon in the mid-80s, had a second stint with Hackney and ended his long and illustrious shale racing career with Arena Essex in 1989.

Captain of England during the country’s most dominant period in the 70s, Simmons went close to winning the individual speedway World Championship in 1976, but was pipped to the title by Peter Collins.

He has spent the last year writing his hugely controversial autobiography, Simmo: The Whole Truth, and he will be signing copies of his warts ‘n’ all memoirs – including revelations about race-fixing and drugs in speedway – at the High Beech event.

It’s a traditional meeting place for speedway fans from all over the country, who gather to enjoy the collectors’ fair with stands selling memorabilia and souvenirs, plus displays of vintage bikes and the chance to meet former greats like Malcolm Simmons and 1980 World Champion Michael Lee, who will also hopefully be making a personal appearance.

The High Beech reunion gets underway at 11am, continues until 4pm and a large proportion of proceeds from the day will go to boost the fund for the first Speedway Museum that is now being built at Paradise Wildlife Park, Broxbourne and is set to open at the end of April.

Simmo is expected to be in attendance and signing from our Retro Speedway stand between 11.30am and 1pm.

I remembeer Simmo at an earlier event to commemmorate Speedway's entry into British life. He rode an olden-day bike against the great Jack Parker at the event staged at Hackney Wick's track. The G O M of Speedway conned him good and proper that day. Hopefully the weather won't be as cold this year as it was then.

Simmo at High Beech reunion

Simmo started his speedway career with Hackney in 1963 before winning the British League and Cup double with West Ham in 1965. After becoming an England star with King’s Lynn and Poole in the 70s, he also starred for Wimbledon in the mid-80s, had a second stint with Hackney and ended his long and illustrious shale racing career with Arena Essex in 1989.

Can't believe you don't mention Simmo's finest moment in domestic Speedway..: team managing the mighty Crayford Kestrels in 1983...??!!! ;)

Got my copy of The Flying Dutchman,Lionel Van Praag.

A very colourful lifestyle,thats for sure.

Interesting to hear the views of Eric Langton,and Tommy Price!