British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
czechhero

Alan Hunt Memorial Trophy Birmingham

Well done Andre !!!! Anyone who went can you tell me what time the meeting finished please ?. I was going to come down but was put off by the train from Perry Bar Station leaving at 21:46 [ the Sheffield connection is at 22:03 from New Street ] But i'm hoping to come down on Good Friday cos 15 heats should be over quicker.

Quote of the night (I'll let the source name himself if he wants to), "You know what I'd be worried about if I was a Brummie? Brent Werner, I thought he'd be a solid point scorer this year". 30 second later and Brent Werner blasts up the inside of Magnus Zetterstrom.

Before the last race I worked out what Wato needed for run-offs and to guarentee 3rd, I didn't think it was likely to happen, I just don't trust that Zetterstrom bloke but Ha! It worked perfectly.

It's going to be a great track in a few weeks (months?) once it's settled down, wide sweeping bends with a great white line

Anyone who went can you tell me what time the meeting finished please ?.

Not a typical example. It didn't start until after 8, and there was a delay while they fixed the tapes.

Next week I'll keep my eye on the clock for you. :)

Quote of the night (I'll let the source name himself if he wants to), "You know what I'd be worried about if I was a Brummie?  Brent Werner, I thought he'd be a solid point scorer this year".  30 second later and Brent Werner blasts up the inside of Magnus Zetterstrom.

But to be fair to whoever said that, Werner didn't start too well. :wink:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My comments copied over from the backup site.

We estimated 3,500+ but it wasn't easy to tell because loads of people stayed inside (and there's plenty of room for them to do so).

It certainly filled up more and more as we approached start time.

Andre was the pick of the bunch as most of the big names had a bad ride that cost them. However, he was a tad lucky to escape an exclusion. There was nothing dirty about the move he put on Aidan, and he (AC) kind of invited the move, but he seemed to clip Aidan's foot on the way in to the corner. Luckily the corners are plenty wide enough, and it was a firm bump into the fence rather than a really good whack.

On a general note I really like the look of the track. It's got proper straights that don't tapper into the corners too quickly. If they did you'd have ended up with a little circle as the racing line rather than an oval. The straights seems a tad narrow, but it's not a problem. The corners are wide enough going in and coming out. That means that when the track settles down the full width of the corners will be used by those that want to chase the dirt.

Viewing is not perfect for speedway, but it's not bad at all. I found that the middle of the first and second turn gave a good view of the entire track. With no air fence the view is unobstructed, and allowed me to see Andre clip Aidan. From the straights I found the view a little flat. You're looking across the track at the same level rather than down onto it. The two temporary stands are small, but filled up fast. That suggests the view is good, and perhaps more could be added around the bend (they're only on turn 1).

There was plenty of food and drink outlets. A snack bar, a drinks bar (booze), and a restaurant inside. Outside there were about 3 burger/chips/hot drinks vans, no ice cream van though (essential at any speedway meeting).

The stadium is bright, clean and tidy. The only drawback, and it's not the biggest problem in the world, was that there was no light on the crowd on the first and second turn. This made it very difficult to see your programme. In the grand scheme of things that's not a disaster, but a minor issue.

Teething problems such as the problem with the start gate can be excused on opening night, but for the image of the sport it must work faultlessly next week. Starting off the green light failed miserably as the riders jumped the start about three times in one heat, and that was followed by an 'all four back' for bunching in the same heat.

The track was packed down hard as it needs to be to get the base established. There was a little dirt on it, but not a lot. It was dusty straight from the off, and that soon gave a blue groove. As the dirt that was there moved out a second line began to develop a little. It desperately needed a sprinkling of water to bind it, but that never came. That meant the few outside moves came from riders that were fundamentally quicker than the guy in front rather than really using the dirt. There was some overtaking, and close racing. I think that when the track can be prepared with more dirt, some watering, and hopefully ripped up a bit to create some grip, it'll be a really nice track.

Thanks for you comments 21st century heathen, very interesting. I knew it would never be likely to see the entire meeting and get to the station for 21:46 with the likelyhood of a delayed start possible, teething problems, 20 heats etc. I honestly predicted Andre to win to someone at work, he's flying at the moment, another 15 point max tonight so thats four on the trot. I deffinately want to get down when the Tigers are in town on Good Friday and even fancy a few other meetings if the train times are ok, Rye House looks tasty on April 18th. Not cheap at £ 30 though, and they are trying to encourage people to use public transport more ???

Phil, why not join the Brummies forum and ask if anyone is going into the city centre on Good Friday who'll be able to drop you at New Street station, would that help?

The ref called time at 21.50 and at times it was rushed through like Telford was, ie, the 2 mins warning straight after the end of the heat.

You have to do your homework on the trains. I was talking to my brother about them at the weekend. He uses them quite a bit. Apparently 'they' aren't allowed to tell you the cheapest way to get from A to B. You just have to ask for what you want, and if that's expensive then tough. Anyway, what he was saying was that it's cheaper to get a ticket from W'ton (or B'ham, can't remember which he said) to Edinburgh than one to Manchester. It takes the same line to Manchester though. So buy a ticket to Edinbrugh and just get off in Manchester. Go figure. :blink:

Someone told me it also has something to do with crossing county boundaries or maybe they meant different rail networks in different parts of the country. Either way some of the prices seem strange to work out. It's only £ 6 plus change from Sheffield to Huddersfield [Return Ticket] [ 30 miles ] so shouldn't that make it nearer £20 to Brum ??? Czechhero i might do that. Don't know if i'll be on my own or not just yet though

Edited by Philip Addison

figures quoted in local papers as a crowd of 5000.

Impressive stadium but NO atmosphere what so ever!

Maybe too many neutrals or just coming to look or the lack of airhorns im not sure.

The racing was ok for a first meeting and i took advantage of the overspill being able to stand by the tractor just behind the fence on the fourth corner. Nice one!!!!

Compton again looks impressive at this level and untouchable but others that impressed me include

wright, smart and correy.

its so good to see the Brummies open again and heres to the TEAM doing well. :)

Well done to Andre, another trophy and hopefully not the last for this season, I noticed that somebody said there was a lack of atmosphere, I think that will come eventually, and you cannot go wroong with the turn out of supporters.

has anyone a list of previous winners and venues i think it was hled at cradley in sixties & early seventies? :D