British Speedway Forum

Some people seem determined to take the shine off David Howe's achievement tonight. This is a guy who struggled so badly last season that people were really getting on his back; even at the start of this season he had his fair share of critics.

P.S. Congratulations to Harris for being the new British Champion, and to Kennett, King and Allen who all impressed me.

I think it is mainly one person, ezekiel!!

Well howe took his chance and now he's going to cardiff it's just a shame that eddie can't go as well as i think on this seasons form they both should go .

With bridger and kennett and  also bunyan comeing to the fore the future of uk speedway is looking good .

Psml@bunyan nice one orion always there with the alternative :D

Must admit I was slightly disappointed with the actual meeting last night - Monmore is usually a lot better than that for racing - one of my favourites but it seemed to lack something last night. :unsure: Having said that it was still an entertaining way to spend the evening.

Big, big well done to Bomber. What a refreshing change this guy is, committed, gutsy, doesn't whinge and just seems to want to race every race until the flag. Couldn't have wished for a better British Champion IMO. Long may it continue.

Also well done to David Howe - the guy deserves a good season and I'm pleased he has got the Wild Card. Whilst plenty of other young Brits took the easy option of dropping back to the PL when things didn't go their way, Howe always kept plugging away in the EL. Glad he's finally doing well.

Which brings me to Eddie. The guy is one big talent and rode a blinder last night. Bodes well for our visits to Monmore. He just didn't have the edge over Howe but them's the breaks. Eddie's time will come and just missing out this time will give him that hunger to keep trying.

Finally, bloody brilliant to finally see the new wave of British talent starting to make in roads and the old boys starting to look jaded. About time - we can't rely on the likes of Louis, Screen etc for ever and it was good to see some of the younger riders do so well. And we finally have some racers coming through. I felt heartened for British speedway's future watching that last night - now all we have to do is keep nurturing these guys! :D

David Howe won me around tonight - he rode really well, and used the outside well. I had always had him down as an inside rider at all costs. He showed up well, and came over very well indeed in the interviews - well done to him.

Ed Kennett was a little unlucky to meet Howe on his home patch and I suspect his more cavalier style may have been more suited to Cardiff - but Howe surely deserves his place?

Chris Harris was a deserved British champion and I cannot for the life of me fathom why anyone would use an untested engine in a championship meeting. Strange tactics from Scotty.

I was impressed too with Danny King, and he did look tatsty when there was grip on the outside.

I still think Lee Richardson needs to link with Reading to get back to his best. He was so mid division and really ought to have been up at the top with this field.

Congratulations to bomber a deserved winner !!!! Well done to David Howe for taking the wildcard spot for Cardiff, I remember seeing him at the Slovenian SGP a few years ago and he was competitive but his career had stalled badly. Got a severe bout of Oxforditis last year and questioned his ability and his will to carry on in the sport, so pleased for the guy.

Edward Kennett rode well and was unlucky in the final having to battle with Nicholls who was testing an engine and could not gate for toffee but was by far the hardest rider in the 1st turn !!!!!! Edward had 4 of those before dropping into 4th place.

Allen and King were competitive and Bridger will of gained experience from the meeting although may be a little disappointed not to of made the runoff heat.

Stead was a major disappointment - Summed up his season really - Promises much but flattered to deceive. One decent race and then could not get to grips with a track he used to ride week in and week out.

Screen may of been suffering from injury but looked off the pace as did Havelock who is slowly getting back to fitness after his serious spill.

Feel sorry for Tai Woffinden who managed only a couple of laps would of been good to see him get 4/5 heats in for experience albeit he being an australian.

Unsurprisingly woeful meeting with a field with such a distinct class divide. You could have picked the top 6 before the meeting with the possible exception of King.

Ended up wishing I'd have watched it on the TV to be honest.

Anyway, well done Bomber. Shame he didn't get presented with the proper British Final trophy. Still, the £4.99 one off the market will have to do!!

Edited by CB252

Well I'm changing the advert to I'll be cheering on Bomber in Cardiff!!!! and not because he won last night but because I think Scott Nicholls is a miserable, selfish git! :approve:

Big well done to David Howe for achieving his ticket to Cardiff would rather it be Edward but like they keep saying his time will come ...... hopefully soon :approve:

ok meeting, nowt special...

how bad was Evil Knievel? :lol:

big well done to Chris Harris and David Howe :approve:

The best thing about this meeting is that we have reached an era when the older established riders were at last put in their place. Perhaps we are at a time similar to the early 70's whereby stalwarts like the Boococks, Wilson etc. were suceeded by fresh young riders and world beaters such as Collins, Jessup, Morton, Davis and Lee.

Rather like the early 90's when Screen, Havelock, Loram, Louis & Dugard came through to challenge/overtake the likes of Tatum, Doncaster & Wigg.

Superb result, Congrats to Bomber and David Howe Baby lol !! How are Sky going to describe Miserable Nicholls now, Britains number 3 behind David Howe (Classic !!) :)

Shame he didn't get presented with the proper British Final trophy

Yeah we wondered that, that "thing" that was presented was not worthy!

Well what a farce that was! 22 heats and 2 and a half hours just to tell us what we knew all along: Bomber is the current British Number 1 and David H00000we has been gift wrapped certain humiliation in 25 days time. Marvellous. :rolleyes:

As I stated a week or 2 back, the idea of having the best placed Brit (excluding Scott or Bomber) as the Wild Card is a good one, but surely not if any of the riders are tearing round their own circuit? Imagine the backlash if Kennett had prevailed around Wimborne Road, or heaven forbid, Rico around the Abbey? :o

Enjoy your day in Cardiff, David. Next year you’ll be back in the bar with the rest of us. :P

I'd like to start by saying well done to ALL 16 riders and even the reserve as that was experience for them.

i hope Tai-(unlucky he is a great young lad but its all experience for the lad) and Screen-(who i felt his arm was playing a part in the rides he did take part in) are OK

i would like to congratulate Chris Harris he rode his heart out last night n has come up trumps this season and totally deserves where he is in the sport right now (gps etc) he deserved to win the final he did the work during the 20 heats so he got gate advantage in the Final.

Howe again has had a great season, its great to see his confidence back and Howe is just proving what a rider can be with the confidence. He deserves to be at Cardiff. Good luck to him there as well.

Kennett also rode well he has definitely come of age this season and i can see him in the WTC. I was gutted he didn't make it to Cardiff but time is on his side. He will go far in speedway and i name to watch out for.

would like to congratulate King he rode well and i feel it would have done his confidence the world of good

last but not least nice to hear Mark Loram being so positive about his leg cant wait to see him back...

All in All a wonderful night of racing and sportsman ship

Sarah

PS i even feel the REF was consistent n didn't cause up raw

Fair play to Howe, but I can't help but think giving him a wildcard is a bit retrogressive? I think the experience would be far more useful for a youngster like Kennett. But nonetheless, well done David, you have been on top form this season.