British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jim Blanchard

Where, Who, When, Why?

Guest Jim Blanchard

I purchased this photo at High Beech on Sunday and I recognise many riders of course but as the race bibs were normally used for world championship rounds any info would be appreciated

group_riders.jpg

No Cheating :D

It was certainly in 1959. Third from right is the thrillmaker Finnish rider Antti Pajari - as he rode for Coventry, it could well have been taken at Brandon.

Unlikley to be a world championship round because Finland was involved in its own qualifiers from Scandinavia.

Also see Tadeus Teodorowicz (Poland) in the group and so many more from the days of 'real speedway' racing. :rolleyes:

Well, I could tell you who they all are, but I think you know yourself now... :wink:

(Thank you, star ghost)

Edited by norbold

Guest Jim Blanchard
Well, I could tell you who they all are, but I think you know yourself now... :wink:

(Thank you, Starghost)

Thanks Norman. :D

Guest Jim Blanchard
So it's not spot-the-rider but what the bibs are!  :blink:

Speedyguy; its just for fun. Unless you can tell us why Peter Vandenberg is wearing a Southampton race bib and where the hell is Barry Briggs? That should be capable from the likes of a professional speedway journo like yourself.

We know that Peter Craven won this thing (as if there was any doubt :D ) with a maximum but we just thought it would be fun for others on this forum to have go at it. :D

Ain't got a clue Jim.But i did spot the fact that there were 16 globe bibs and one Southampton so thought the guy(didn't know it was Vandenburg)was the meeting reserve.And therefore the track was Southampton.Was it by any chance a qualifier for the Wills Internationale?Did they have qualis at first?Thats the best i can do :D:unsure:

Edited by iris123

This is a really interesting one......I guess the only way would be to match a programme from 1959....IF 1959 is accurate......looking at the records Coventry only had a WCQR that could possibly match this but it was won by Brian Crutcher. This kinda leaves Coventry out of the picture.

These "Bibs" were also used for the long gone INTERNATIONALE, of course these did not start until 1961.

If it is 1959 Ipswich did many open meetings that year with Internationals & Open meetings, many of these riders were in these meetings...it could just be one of those, not the 5 internationals they had though.

Looking at the picture there is a "Logo" just above and to the right of Teo's head, maybe a clue if you can blow this part up.

Guest Jim Blanchard
Ain't got a clue Jim.But i did spot the fact that there were 16 globe bibs and one Southampton so thought the guy(didn't know it was Vandenburg)was the meeting reserve.And therefore the track was Southampton.Was it by any chance a qualifier for the Wills Internationale?Did they have qualis at first?Thats the best i can do :D  :unsure:

Bryan Tungate has it completely sussed Doug. You'll have to venture over to the speedway history forum to get it all mate. Be worth your while. You might like to join whilst there. :D

Here

I picked up a copy of the Tommy Jansson book at the High Beech event over the weekend and as promised you can have it when I have finished with it, and its quite fasinating.

Jim :)

Bryan Tungate has it completely sussed Doug. You'll have to venture over to the speedway history forum to get it all mate. Be worth your while. You might like to join whilst there. :D

Here

I picked up a copy of the Tommy Jansson book at the High Beech event over the weekend and as promised you can have it when I have finished with it, and its quite fasinating.

Jim  :)

Bugger!!! If I had looked at that site first without going through my programmes I wouldn't have had to waste the time but at least I got it right!!!

This is a really interesting one......I guess the only way would be to match a programme from 1959....IF 1959 is accurate......looking at the records Coventry only had a WCQR that could possibly match this but it was won by Brian Crutcher. This kinda leaves Coventry out of the picture.

These "Bibs" were also used for the long gone INTERNATIONALE, of course these did not start until 1961.

If it is 1959 Ipswich did many open meetings that year with Internationals & Open meetings, many of these riders were in these meetings...it could just be one of those, not the 5 internationals they had though.

Looking at the picture there is a "Logo" just above and to the right of Teo's head, maybe a clue if you can blow this part up.

Must be 1959. That was the only season Antti Pajari raced in Britain.