British Speedway Forum
iris123

Bobby Duncan

Recently answered a call for Newcastle photos,and supplied a team pic from 1987.

There was one rider who i couldn't identify and was later told it was Bobby Duncan.A rider i have no recollection of.Neither had Dantodan :D Anyone got any more info on him?Was he just a local rider from an away track drafted in for one meeting,maybe?Frigbo?KevH? I know you both have fairly good records on this sort of thing :unsure:

Recently answered a call for Newcastle photos,and supplied a team pic from 1987.

There was one rider who i couldn't identify and was later told it was Bobby Duncan.A rider i have no recollection of.Neither had Dantodan :D Anyone got any more info on him?Was he just a local rider from an away track drafted in for one meeting,maybe?Frigbo?KevH? I know you both have fairly good records on this sort of thing :unsure:

He wa sone of those riders who looks very promising, but decided to give up. I think he was only 16/17 too.

He made his debut for Stoke in 1987 riding all season for a 4 point average.

Second season he failed to build on the promise of the first and retired mid-season, still with an average of around 4.

Don't know why, but Peter Oakes History of Speedway does list one appearance for Newcastle.

Thanks Arnieg.I knew someone here would be able to solve this one:D

BOBBY DUNCAN Stoke(87,88),Newcastle(87) ENG BORN 16.12.1970.

He scored 1 point for Newcastle at Mildenhall on May 10th '87. The circumstances of why remain a bit of a mystery.

Edited by frigbo

There are more Bobby Duncans than Jason Crumps! At Newcastle we had Ron Henderson who struggled for a while then started riding well only to chuck the towel in and retire

Anyone know what Ron is doing now?

There are more Bobby Duncans than Jason Crumps!  At Newcastle we had Ron Henderson who struggled for a while then started riding well only to chuck the towel in and retire

Anyone know what Ron is doing now?

Did he not go on to be a Social Worker.

I'm sure Bobby Duncan was Scottish!!!

Jepp Bobby is Scottish, but now a Norwegian citizen. ! Easy explanation to the Newcastle Photo. Eric Stead asked me to step in as a guest reserve, Eric knew me well from Stoke. I had riden 3 heats at mildenhall the year before in training which ended in a broken thumb so didnt know the track well. 2 rides,1 point. Speedway Star were taking team photos and Eric said i was in the team that day so had to be in the Photo :) very proud to turn out for the diamonds as i was born in Newcastle and lived in Gateshead til i was 4 !

From what I remember Bobby Duncan used to beat Gary Havelock in the second halves as 16 year olds, and Bobby packed it in because he couldn't make it pay.

It was reported at the time he retired that Ron Henderson became a social worker.

I remember Bobby Duncan regularly riding demo laps before and after the meeting at Stoke in the early 80's - he would have been about 12 years old !.

Bobby was awesome at Wolves as an Under 16 in 2nd halves back in 86. I think he did 1-2 years in the NL (started at Stoke) and then retired.