British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Grachan

Bruce Penhall (hull)

I was looking through an old scrapbook that I made in 1975/76 the other day. On my special 'Yanks' page there was a typically badly cut-out picture of Bruce Penhall. Written underneath it, in my own fair 14-year-old hand, were the words: 'Bruce Penhall, who has been allocated to Hull for the 1976 season'.

Obviously I can't say that this is the first time I'd heard of this considering I actually wrote it, but it was certainly something that I'd forgotten.

Was I right? Was Bruce allocated to Hull in 1976? If so, does anyone know the story there? Because, as far as I remember, he never rode for the Vikings that year.

My guess is he decided not to come, but changed his mind about riding over here after being somewhat outclassed at White City in 1977.

Edited by Grachan

The text below is copied straight from the Cradley website.

He made the most remarkable rise to fame in the space of a few years, from making his British League debut in April 1978 to winning the World Title and every personality award on offer in 1981.

He rode for us from '78 until he quit in '82. I can only assume from this information that he only ever turned out for Cradley.

It could be that he was rumoured to be coming over earlier, and perhaps he was linked with Hull. It certainly not something that I've ever heard before.

I thought he never rode there, but another to add to the impressive list of World Champions linked to the Vikings in the 70s.

Maybe they allocated him to Hull in 1976 but never actually bothered to tell him!!

I honestly couldn't tell you any more than that. '76 was my first season as speedway supporter, and I was only 3 months old. :lol:

There is a bit in the Speedway yearbook from 1977 that 'at one time it looked an odds on certainty' that he would sign for................................Halifax :o

There is a bit in the Speedway yearbook from 1977 that 'at one time it looked an odds on certainty' that he would sign for................................Halifax  :o

I've never heard anything about a Hull connection with Penhall prior to him signing for Cradley, although with Barry Briggs at Hull at that time with all his american connections it wouldn't be much of a surprise to learn that there had been some discussions in that area.

The Halifax connection is definately true. Moves were made in 76 or 77 for Bruce to come to The Shay, but for whatever reason it never came about and a year later the deal was done by Cradley.

The interesting thing is, of course, that had he signed for Halifax when the approach was made he would already have been a Duke before Kenny Carter had even sat on a Speedway bike... how would life have been different for all concerned if the second-year Brucey had taken the young KC under his wing and acted as a role model!!

Def Briggo-USA-Hull connection I reckon

I have never heard the one about him going to Hull, the Halfax one is definately true though.

I have never heard the one about him going to Hull, the Halfax one is definately true though.

And of course in 1978 Spin, our forward thinking and excellent promotion decided he wasn't worth the gamble :rolleyes: , and then he went to Cradley..... Edited by Tigerblade

And of course in 1978 Spin, our forward thinking and excellent promotion decided he wasn't worth the gamble  :rolleyes: , and then he went to Cradley.....

I forgot about that one, I think was Dougie Wyer who recommended him to the Sheffield promotion, heartbreaking when you think about it, as we would have had Shawn Moran and Juicey Brucey in the same team for 2 seasons.

Well they did have Kelly Moran , Dennis Sigalos and John Cook so they didn't do too bad.

And don't forget that Shawn Moran started his career at Hull, even rode under a assumed name David East I think.