British Speedway Forum
shazzybird

3rd Time Lucky Canterbury Crusaders!

I must sort out all my photos and send them to the Canterbury Crusaders website,as reading this forum and looking at pictures bring all the memories flooding back of the great days and other people deserve the same opportunity.

The CD arrived today, thanks M B :P . I've had a quick shufty and the memories came flooding back to me as well :lol: I will do my best to get it on the web site as soon as I can.

I've got to fit a new back door at home, so this is going to have to take priority. Janet has put up with the old door falling apart every time she opens it. But is has now got beyond a joke. She is now threatening me with "nastys" :shock: if I dont get things moving. Leave it with me and I'll do what I can ASAP.

Edited by sidecar121

Can't wait for the memories sidecar get that bloody door fixed quickly :rolleyes:

Oh dear...the door is out of stock at the moment :shock: .

Action pictures up on the site :P

Team pictures from 1969 - 1988, now added as well. :P

Crusaders website

I must do something useful now or Janet is gonna kick my a$$!

Edited by sidecar121

Oh Gibbo there's always you who can keep us going with a few tales from the Crusader camp :approve::wink::P that'll teach you to post wont it! :approve::lol:

Welllll there was the very nice blond lady that visited us in the bath one time, :) and then there`s the various `tales from the dope shed` ;) but perhaps we should`nt go there. Get me tippsy at the VSRA dinner and perhaps I`ll tell you more :D

I`m sure you know most of the stories anyway Shaz!

Welllll there was the very nice blond lady that visited us in the bath one time, :)

but Shazzy is not a natural blonde....

I`m sure you know most of the stories anyway Shaz!

know them!!!! she stars in them :lol:

Edited by stevehone

SteveHone not THE Stevehone that I used to talk to on msn :shock:

SteveHone not THE Stevehone that I used to talk to on msn :shock:

msn???? whats that????

Guest Rod King

I know this is a real saddos question (nothing new for me) but what was it that killed off Canterbury?

Edited by Rod King

I know this is a real saddos question (nothing new for me) but what was it that killed off Canterbury?

It was explained on this forum once that the promoter at the time wasn't an astute businessman, although he loved his speedway. It was alleged that he never applied to extend the planning permission beyond the 1987 season and once it had lapsed, Canterbury Council declined to renew it.

Guest Rod King

It was explained on this forum once that the promoter at the time wasn't an astute businessman, although he loved his speedway. It was alleged that he never applied to extend the planning permission beyond the 1987 season and once it had lapsed, Canterbury Council declined to renew it.

And is the site now too near a built up area to be revitalised? it looks as if the layout is still intact but it's difficult to see what there is around it.

And is the site now too near a built up area to be revitalised? it looks as if the layout is still intact but it's difficult to see what there is around it.

Kingsmead is only a mile or so from the City centre and is located in a built up area, however, at a guess, 50% is industrial or retail usage. I'm sure with the advances over the years in noise reduction, the return of speedway wouldn't be a real problem for local residents but what their reaction, or the councils for that matter, may be I've no idea.

The supporter base is definately there and any prospective promoter who could obtain the relevant permission, would I'm sure, be rewarded with extremely good attendance levels. However, as you have seen from the photos, a stadium would have to be built from scratch and therefore would involve a fairly high investment.

I have a dream that one day the roar of Speedway bikes will return to Canterbury and there have been a few rumours over the years but no real actions. Anyone with a few thousand pounds to spare could do far worse than look at re-introducing Speedway to Canterbury.

Guest Rod King

Kevin - many thanks for the information. It seems a shame when we have lost so many tracks to development that we have the "makings" of one here but without a promotion with the will to run it. One day, maybe, one day!

One day, maybe, one day!

Let's hope so Rod - what we need is Tony Mole to take a look at it.

The supporter base is definately there ...

I have a dream that one day the roar of Speedway bikes will return to Canterbury.

Not much else for them to do 'round there ,

from what we can see :(

But as they say is Sean's fave musical -

"Don't dream it - be it"

We have quite a few tourist attractions in and around the Canterbury area. Spring Lane Estate for one :lol: then theres the Prison :D